The Shade Pit

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Shade Pit
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #0
Yeah, the one under Harmony West Docks.
I am playing on Torment for the first time of my life, playing Guardian with focus on Missile Weapons. It's not too hard, even though i wish i could deal out more damage. The crystals I have run out all the time so i can only use venom baton for a lon gperiod of time, since it is what I got ammo for.
I got Greta with me, she is okey, I got a Dex of 8, Missle Weapons of 11, Luck of 4, Parry 6, QA 4.

All and all, it could be worse.
However, this pit will probably kick my rear. I remember it as being utterly painful to play on Normal with Agent and Shaper, and i can't really see how this will work on Torment with a Guardian.
I know some of you guys gave done this, so I ask for your help.
I still got some areas to clear before I head in, so what should I buy with my next batch of skillpoints?
More Important: What kind of weapons should I use, and where can I get them? What kind of tactic would work down there?

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #1
Wait and come back.

It's pretty nasty.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #2
IIRC acidic stuff works well on the shades.

As for tactics, it's probably a good idea to run for an alcove after reading the book, so you can take them on one or two at a time.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #3
You saying I can't beat this at Level 16, DV?
Where can Greta get her upgrade from firebolt, by the way? I was hoping that the Shaper in San Ru could help me, but apparently not.

I think I could handle the first summon, but the second and third might be hard.

Any other suggestion on how to do this? Even if you only take on one or two a time it will still be pretty hard.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #4
Greta gets Searer from a mage in Dhonal's Keep.

And yeah, wait a while. Those shades are nasty, and magic resistant.

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
I managed to do it before leaving Harmony, with a melee Guardian accompanied by Alwan. My trick was just to use a lot of Speed pods and some crystals. I had saved a bunch of crystals up to that point (by slogging through the Vlish Woods and places like it tree-to-tree and hand-to-hand). I stood near the book after each reading as the first few shades came in one at a time, taking them down with a shot or two from range (steel javelins maybe? Don't remember.) or an assist from Alwan. I stayed blessed, protected, and hasted as much of the time as I could, throughout the battle.

As the shade numbers grew, I retreated around the corner into the passage that leads to the sealed door, and began popping out to fire one shot at a time, then popping back, dropping out of combat, re-entering combat, and repeating. This allowed me to whittle down a few more shades as they slowly approached, as long as my speed pods lasted. Eventually I was dealing with the ghosts and infernal shade from the last reading, cornered up next to the sealed door; but there was still a tiny corner I could hide behind, right next to the door there, and speed and my last spray crystals took them all down.

Alwan bought it in this final struggle, of course. Turned out I was able to deal with the rest of Krya's Refuge alone, though, using one last speed pod, some melee, and a lot of thorns on Krya himself.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #6
Good tactics!!!

I can't really recommend melee engagement much though, as those shades have a slowing touch, and if you get slowed, you WILL die.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #7
Blessed/Hasted/Protected? You got all that from pods? Allot of pods?
I got few crystals left and no Blessing Magic.
I got like 10 shots of Terror Wand and 7 for Diciplin Wand.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
Yeah, slowing is bad. Curse me, damage me, stun me, poison me, cover me in acid: okay. Just keep that open hand away from me. Rotghroths are worse than ever now because of it.

I got the speed from pods, but the blessing and protection were my own. I found that a bit of Blessing Magic really helped. By the end game, I would put on an Agent Cloak just to do Steelskin, then drop it and heal up the extra points from my Symbiotic Cloak. There was never any point in raising my skill high enough to do Essence Armor, since there were enough Armor Potions in the game for when I wanted Armor.

Speed is so great, more because it lets you attack and escape than because it lets you attack twice. The bottleneck with casting Speed is the enormous energy cost -- it is really tough to get a Guardian's energy up high enough to cast it at all. So I relied on pods and spores and rods for Speed throughout most of the game. It's handy to know that if you chug two speed pods you go up to 1.5x AP. You often need those extra AP to be able to hide after attacking.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #9
BM of 2 would cost me 8 SPs. Why not wait untill Dhonald's and buy it up there for money?

I did the first summoning without any problem at all. Those specters can't handle Greta's firebolt. I should be able to take out the second summon aswell with just speed.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
That's the spirit! Let us know how it goes.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #11
Second summoning, not too hard either. Those Specter Sages did not appear in nay great numbers, mostly just basic Specters.

One more to go..

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #12
I did this at level 13 on torment, and it was pretty bad. I died a lot, so I came back at level 15. It took about four tires, but was worth the effort.

Edit: sp

[ Monday, June 13, 2005 13:38: Message edited by: A Tail of Many Stripes ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #13
Me personally... I usually wait till I have been to Dhonal's Isle with most of my chars.

I hate slowing... It's even worse in G3.

UGH!

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #14
I think that it is very doable with a Shaper on Torment if you don't care too much about your creations. No need to leave Harmony.

--------------------
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Contra:

I think that it is very doable with a Shaper on Torment if you don't care too much about your creations. No need to leave Harmony.
Two words.

Mass Energise.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #16
You get ME so early in the game?

--------------------
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #17
No, you have to go to Dhonal's Isle to get it.

It makes the Shade Pit manageable on Torment.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #18
I am rather positive that I can manage it with a set of speedspores and just regular blessing magic.

--------------------