Errand boy vlish

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Errand boy vlish
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
Maybe all the GF games have had this feature, but I just noticed it, and it's strange.

You can pick up any items to which any of your party is close. So you can dump a pile of things by the dock, leave a vlish there to guard them, and saunter off to the north edge of the map. Then hit 'g', and just by clicking on all the stuff that appears, transfer it instantly across the map.

I just picture that eager vlish, running back and forth with all your things as fast as its little tentacles can carry it ...

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5652
Profile #1
I have noticed this too, I can take my PC and stick it in the corner, then have any of my creatures go into a shop, take all the stuff lying on the floor, and every single time it says "You stole the item without anyone noticing you" even though my creation is in plain view of the shopkeeper!

this must be a bug, I checked and GF2 does not have this feature.

still kinda nice, though, I can take anything I want, and no one cares!

--------------------
"Many minds make quick work of uncertainty"
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
HA! I did not anticipate that effect. The tentacle is quicker than the eye!

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5734
Profile #3
ya, thats cool

--------------------
need cheat codes or hints visit my webpage. http://www.webspawner.com/users/mikkyo/index.html
Warrior
Member # 4345
Profile #4
Awesome. I had no idea my vlish had such sticky fingers....or tentacle....tip....things.

--------------------
"Damn Scots. They ruined scotland!"-Groundskeeper Willy, the Simpsons
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #5
This was something that came up in beta testing - moving to and picking up items was very tricky when you had a large group of creations and your shaper was not at the front of the pack. If you wanted to pick something up in a corner or small room you had to individually select your character and move them rather than moving your whole party. More often than you not you would end up positioning your shaper out of reach of whatever you were after. It was annoying.

The discussion here highlights an interesting side-effect of the change. Nonetheless, I believe the advantages in terms of streamlined gameplay of the current arrangement make it superior to the alternative. Maybe a tweak to the stealing code could close the loophole - but it is kind of nifty as it is.

Interesting thought: While a battle alpha may not be quick, maybe it takes something and then says to the shopkeeper in a Mafioso goon voice "You didn't see anything - did you?"
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
Shopkeeper: Can I help you?
Gazer: The eye is just looking.
Shopkeeper: [Can't shovel the stuff over fast enough.]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1668
Profile #7
Granted, I haven't slept in a day and a half, but that's just about the funniest thing I've ever heard...er, read...

--------------------
"Mongo only pawn in game of life" -- Mongo
Apprentice
Member # 5672
Profile #8
If one could also teach creations to open doors and boxes (one would definitely think that Alwan and Greta could do it, while a vlish could possible open all the boxes and drawers in a room at once)...
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
Actually, if you look closely, you are amazed to realize that Vlish have only two tentacles. It's eating too many calamari that makes them seem more.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 384
Profile #10
Sounds like an exploit to me. Somehow, I don't think you are supposed to get away with stuff like that. Still, it's cool until Jeff fixes it :)