Searing Artila

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Searing Artila
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #0
I've played GF3 for over a year, and I've happened to notice that when I fight Searing Artila, discipline wands have no effect against them. No damage whatsoever.

So I've made my own little Searing Artila's. I then went and fought the energized Vlish at the Southern Marsh. I've come to realize that:

1. Poison has NO effect on Searing Artila's whatsoever. Both primary and secondary damage of poison do no damage.

2. The Searing Artila seems to be immune to terror.

3. The Searing Artila appears to be immune to certain types of magical damage, such as the damage from discipline wands, and the damage from the terror spells. Direct damage magic spells such as the Vlish bolt attack and Magic Pylons still do damage, although only a small amount. Stun spells also do a small amount of damage, and successfully stun.
Screenshot of my battle with the Energized Vlish can be found here:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/Red_Wizard/searingartila.jpg

[ Monday, May 29, 2006 21:17: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #1
Then my brain wasn't playing tricks on me. I always thought something seemed funky with Searing Artillas, but I never did put my finger on it.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #2
Hah, I found out the hard way that Searing Artila are immune to Discipline Wands.

I was hitting for roughly 170 damage with Discipline Wands with my missile guardian. I blessed myself, the Searing Artila was in sight, but out of range. "I'll enter combat, and strike first. One hit with the Discipline Wand, and game over for the artila!"

Enter combat, hit Searing Artila, no damage. WTF? Dead Guardian. *sigh*

I wonder exactly what resistances/immunities are detailed in the Searing Artila script?

And is the magic damage sustained from disruption/terror/stun different from the magic damage sustained from Vlish bolt/Searing Orbs? For instance, is there "Magic Damage: Type 1", and "Magic Damage: Type 2".

It certainly lends some credibility to my belief that the Searing Artila is a good upgrade. It gets a mammoth upgrade to health (roughly twice the essence of a vanilla artila, but 3* the health), nimbleness, and now immunity to poison, terror and some forms of magic damage, as well as high resistance to the magic damage it isn't immune to. That's better than a Thahd Shade!!! And a huge advantage over the piddly roamer.

[ Monday, May 29, 2006 19:56: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #3
Another very interesting update, folks.

Searing Artila appears to be IMMUNE from going rogue.

That's right. I've tested this 'extensively' for a whole of 10 minutes.

I didn't sink any intelligence into my precious Searing Artila. And then I battered him down to near 0 health.

The dialog them comes up with multiple "Searing Artila goes rogue" messages, and after each message is a "Searing Artila resists charm spell". My searing artila hence remains firmly under my control, despite about 10 trials. Sadly, it can still be thrown into terror by low health (but NOT by terror spells).

Perhaps this has no effect on gameplay (although you could say that perhaps you are better off not sinking any points into intelligence).

In otherwords, Searing Artila appears to be completely immune to mental magic. This includes...
- Terror.
- Dominate.
- Charm ray.
- Daze.
- Rogue

[ Monday, May 29, 2006 21:35: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Apparently, Searing Artila and Thahd Shades are not flagged as regular creations.

They have creature type 3, which they share with turrets, pylons, spinecores, and specters.

Other than that they have no special resistances. As far as magic (= energy) damage goes, there is not more than one type. However, disruption is its own category of damage, and terror and stun based damage uses poison resistance, not magic resistance, I guess because they are status effects.

Oh, wait! That's not poison elemental damage, it's mental damage! Duh. The Terror Vlish poison attack is flagged as that type of damage because it used to be a terror attack. Duh, Slarty.

Searing Artila do not get any more health than regular Artila, btw, if you level both up. The Searing Artila just start at a higher level, about 10 levels higher. Since you gain access to regular Artila a lot earlier, this is not particularly relevant.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #5
Anti:
quote:

Oh, wait! That's not poison elemental damage, it's mental damage! Duh. The Terror Vlish poison attack is flagged as that type of damage because it used to be a terror attack. Duh, Slarty.

Not necessarily. Searing Artila are not damaged by ANY poison attacks, or by secondary poison. Check out the Searing Artila in my screenshot. He's in a poisoned state, but is taking no damage per round.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
There's an easy way to test this. Get an enemy terror vlish to attack you, then do the same thing with higher mental resistance and with higher poison resistance. Only the former should reduce damage, I'm pretty sure.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #7
Might this quirk have something to do with the line "cr_creature_type = 3" as opposed to the usual "cr_creature_type = 1"?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
Yes. See above.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #9
Hmmm... I can understand how Jeff would reason Thahd Shades not being posioned or going rogue (they're undead), but Searing Artilas? They're blue worms. Maybe it's typo.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #10
The same exact typo for all 3 games? I don't think so.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #11
What, so you don't think he rolls forward the same scripts from one game to the next? Get real.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #12
Good point. Never thought of that.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Anti-Fairy:

Yes. See above.
Ah, didn't see that the first time.

--------------------