Big-Mondo Spoilers: the Big Secret

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Big-Mondo Spoilers: the Big Secret
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #0
Without discussing it, at least right off the bat ... how many people have found the Big Secret? It's in the original Geneforge, and that's all I'm saying. But I want to discuss it. Just ... without revealing it to those who haven't found it in-game. And I'm still going to be vague in talking about it.

... so ...

If you haven't found big secret of Geneforge, read no further. It will ruin your life forever.

-~=~- SPOILERS FROM HERE-ON-OUT -~=~-

My initial reaction to the Big Secret was a desire for more detail. Not a shrug and "I guess." Given millenia to contemplate such things, you'd think one have more to say.

[ Tuesday, May 16, 2006 18:46: Message edited by: Nick Ringer ]

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
The one who tells you the Big Secret is barely able to talk. There was one big hint in the Temple to the north on a pylon and some minor hints scattered through the wastes. It does resolve the Geneforge and Avernum worlds are probably separate.

Still it was worth the effort.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #2
Which pylon? All I remember are the "at one point they had sheep. Later, they had more sheep."

Although the fyora carvings on the temple's walls are clueful.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #3
Seeing as I have a desperate appetite for bits of Geneforge plot and that my copy of G1 has been screwed up majorly (I'm stuck in the Spirit City and can't move for some reason) could someone please tell me the Big Secret? By IM, maybe, to preserve its secrecy.

[ Wednesday, May 17, 2006 15:04: Message edited by: Little Billy Sue ]

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
The details of how to discover the "Big Secret" are a in special section towards the end of Schrodinger's walkthrough. This obviously doesn't help you much if your game is screwed up, so, basically, [BIG SPOILER]. However, if you've explored the rest of the island (The Great Temple, Spirit City, The Sentinels), that's not news.

Dikiyoba thinks that the "Big Secret" is unlikely to be discussed in future Geneforge games. The Shapers are probably more concerned about the future than the past at the moment.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Little Billy Sue:

Seeing as I have a desperate appetite for bits of Geneforge plot and that my copy of G1 has been screwed up majorly (I'm stuck in the Spirit City and can't move for some reason) could someone please tell me the Big Secret? By IM, maybe, to preserve its secrecy.
The atmosphere of finally being able to enter a forgotten temple in a ruined city full of ghosts is probably as big as the secret itself. The last time this question came up, I've looked through the scripts to put the relevant bits together and posted it here: http://www.geocities.com/zeviz1/Geneforge_secret.html

[ Wednesday, May 17, 2006 16:13: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #6
Thanks, Zev.

I'll be honest: I did not see it coming. I thought the "ancient race" was totally unrelated and had been wiped out before the Shapers arrived. It is made pretty clear by notes that the Shapers exploring Sucia had no such suspicions, and that the ruins were already haunted.

So the Shaper cult is a few centuries old ... maybe we can form a vague timeline.

o Sucia is populated by savage and unorganized natives.
o Some isolate themselves and build the temple to study.
o Separated islanders gain magical talents, then imprecise Shaping talents.
o They attack* uncivilized islanders by Shaping them.
o Some+ are inadvertently made stronger, and new diseases are born.
o A few talented islanders escape Sucia. Some shape themselves to become immortal drones.
o Mutants and diseases wipe out islanders^.
o Immigrants from Sucia take over on the mainland, becoming the Shapers.

* Motive unclear; probable want for power.
+ Is Heustess one of these? Surviving "savage?"
^ Presumably everyone on Sucia Island died out.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4039
Profile #7
My thoughts on the subject:

This seems to be Jeff foreshadowing as to what could possibly happen to the series. in the other games we see shaping being used only as weapons and to gain power, arguably by both sides in the war. the Creation Strengthening and self shaping in Geneforge 2 and 3 are exactly what this race warns us about.

Maybe eventually the powers will get so out of hand that the entire world will go to waste, not just this race's island. But it seems to me that thus far playing with life Inevitably leads to this kind of war.

[ Tuesday, May 23, 2006 14:16: Message edited by: kayflick ]
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #8
Ooo. Juicy secret.

It seems like a cycle. There is a numerous race of islanders. Some of them discover a shaping-related power. They break off. Later, they attack and destroy the non-seperated islanders. They win by virtue of their new power.

Later, the shaper's numbers are large. Some of them discover canisters. They break off. Later, they attack the shapers (G3). Perhaps the rebels will win in G4?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Apprentice
Member # 6788
Profile Homepage #9
...Spooky, what Zeviz wrote at his site with the script and all that? gives me the chills, all of it... And I agree with kayflick, that's probably what happens...

--------------------
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!