get_flag versus get_sdf

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: get_flag versus get_sdf
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #0
Some while ago we had a discussion of the usage of these two supposedly identical calls. There was some feeling that get_sdf was somehow less trustworthy, although I was not able to identify why. Does anyone know of any actual differences between them, or are they really just the same as they should be?

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
By all rights, the both appear to function exactly alike. However, I have had get_sdf kick out an error now and then for no particular reason.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
For consistency, I'd use get_flag, because there is no set_sdf or inc_sdf, just set_flag and inc_flag. I think JV just uses get_flag.

EDIT: According to the Wikibook reference:
quote:
short get_flag(short a,short b)
Identical to get_sdf.

short get_sdf(short a,short b)
Returns SDF(a,b).
So I'm guessing JV just had get_sdf to begin with, then added get_flag for consistency, leaving get_sdf just in case some of his code still referenced it.

--------------------
Do not use for drying pets.
- Warning label on a microwave

[ Saturday, June 16, 2007 19:38: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
I'd never heard of (or experienced) problems with get_sdf. Then again I've never used it or seen anyone else use it. I've used get_flag from the start, pretty much for the reasons Dintiradan just said-- using set_flag and get_sdf is just stupid (Plus for some reason flag seems easier to type than sdf. Which makes no sense since it has an extra character-- maybe it's more natural for me since it's a real word?)

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?