BoAEdit

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: BoAEdit
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #0
I am working on a simple utility for script writing at the moment. I though I would give people a heads up to let you know, solicit advice, etc...
IMAGE(http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~jo334280/screenshot.JPG)
Basically, what I have in mind is a text editor, where you can go up to the menu bar and select a call, instead of having to write it in yourself. I know Niemand is making some sort of script editor, but it is Mac only. Since I am making this in Java, it should be cross-platform.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Niemand's color-coding, Alinting, and snippeting are all worth attempting to match if possible.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #2
I'll see what I can do, but I'm not exactly the world's greatest programmer.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
Yay! Someone making a windows program for this purpose! I'll be happy to share my ideas, WKS, if there's anything you're curious about that I've done.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #4
Awesome, I still have a bit to do to, especially with File reading and writing, before I can think about adding features, but after that I'd love to figure out how you did some of the things.

--------------------
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #5
Still working on it. Adding every single call takes a while. 633 lines so far.
If you want to see the code so far, it's here.

--------------------
--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #6
I think that rather than manually adding two lines of code for each option, you'd be better off having your code read in the menu options from some kind of configuration file (or have some way to make it only one line of code per option).

I needed to get a list of calls for alint, and I was able to do a lot of it by doing crazy find/replace tricks on the editor documentation.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #7
Yeah, I've been trying to think of a way to do that, but so far, I've come up with nothing.

--------------------
--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #8
For extracting the calls from the docs, you can do find-and-replace tricks (probably with regular expressions). A call starts with "short" or "void" at the start of a line, and ends with the first ")" after that. Once you've sucked them out, you can do any other replacements you need to do to get them in the form you want.

Edit: I'm feeling helpful, and I wanted perl practice, so here you go: http://khoth.ath.cx/~khoth/calls.txt

This was done by putting the docs appendix into a text file, and running:
perl -pi -e 's/(^(short|void|string).*?\)).*/\1/' calls.txt
perl -ni -e 'print if /(^(short|void|string).*)|(.*Calls)/' calls.txt

[ Sunday, June 03, 2007 10:42: Message edited by: Khoth ]

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #9
Thanks! I noticed however, in the documentation, that for some calls, Jeff omitted the void or short. An example would be reset_dialog() under Basic Dialogue Calls, curiously enough, your program did pick up reset_dialog_preset_options(short dialog_options) under the same category.

--------------------
--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #10
Hmm, yeah, you'll need to skim through and manually add the missing ones.

The reason reset_dialog_preset_options(short dialog_options) is on the list is that actually I lied about the commands I did - I forgot to include the beginning-of-line anchors, and manually fixed up the non-call stuff that got left in by that. Without them, the "short" in the parameter for that call matches and makes it stay in.

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #11
With that convenient list, I made a program to save me a lot of time. I now only have five categories left to finish, before I can release the preliminary version.

--------------------
--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #12
I know a little Swing, so I can help with testing when the time comes.

--------------------
It's official: shoes are the new WMD.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #13
OK, the preliminary version is available here.
Source file is here.
You will also need this file.

[ Tuesday, June 05, 2007 08:43: Message edited by: WiKiSpidweb ]

--------------------
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
It's a rather neat tool, but I question the concept a bit.

One of the major improvements about BoA scripts (to me) is that I can write out the call I want in a text editor rather than having to navigate and click through about three different menus or dialog windows as in BoE.

In fact, one of my wishes for an improved scenario editor is to somehow do away with the Item and Creature selection menus as well. Going through five lists to find that blasted Goblin or Vahnatai is hell.

These days, I design towns with both corescendata files open in the editor, and if I need something, I use a text search so I know exactly where to look in the menus.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #15
Well, we're not all as talented as you Aran. :P

Those of us with less knowledge and shorter memories find point and click irreplacable.

I haven't attempted to write a BoA scenario yet because of my lack of scripting knowledge and I'm eagerly awaiting the Windows versions of the afore mentioned utilities.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #16
Huh. For some strange reason, I don't have java.util.Scanner in rt.jar, even though I downloaded the latest Windows SDK yesterday. Must have hit an old link.

I just tried it for a second on my Linux box at work. You don't terminate the application when you close the window (you don't notice this unless you're running from the command line). You need something like:
frame.addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter() {
public void windowClosing(WindowEvent event) {
System.exit(0);
}
});
I'll get to more extensive testing later once I get the right SDK at home.

--------------------
I was in the first submarine. Instead of a periscope, they had a kaleidoscope. "We're surrounded."
- Steven Wright

[ Wednesday, June 06, 2007 06:13: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

It's a rather neat tool, but I question the concept a bit.

One of the major improvements about BoA scripts (to me) is that I can write out the call I want in a text editor rather than having to navigate and click through about three different menus or dialog windows as in BoE.

In fact, one of my wishes for an improved scenario editor is to somehow do away with the Item and Creature selection menus as well. Going through five lists to find that blasted Goblin or Vahnatai is hell.

Maybe for you, but those of us who don't write code for a living tend to prefer the way BoE's scenario editor works. Having to write out a whole lot of little scripts in a text editor is pretty much the #1 complaint about BoA scenario design.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
What Thuryl said. I mean, if you know how to code, you can theoretically write your own game engine, right?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
I have always said that the menu interface for the scenario editor sucks badly, and the obvious replacement is a palette system (as we have for floors and terrains, but for creatures and items, too). This is what the BoA Editor Remake was supposed to accomplish, but it never managed to do so.

I have said before that a drag-and-drop interface would be by far the best for a script editor. That said, I'll have to try this out to see how it is.

Um, this is supposed to be cross-platform, right? How do I get it to run on a Mac? I tried to download it and open it, and it just crashed and said it couldn't be opened.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #20
I'm definitely aware that you don't always want to have to point and click, but since most of us don't have all of the calls memorized, I think the menu's make it a lot easier to insert a call. Note that it works as a bare bones text editor as well. There are many flaws in the current design, and with time, I intend to iron them out and expand to include more features. I'm learning as I go, however, so don't expect miracles.

EDIT: You posted while I was writing, Kel. I'm not sure why it doesn't run properly on a Mac, not having one myself. You do have Java installed, right?

[ Wednesday, June 06, 2007 08:30: Message edited by: WiKiSpidweb ]

--------------------
--------------------
BoaEdit
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by WiKiSpidweb:

You do have Java installed, right?
I have no idea. How do I know?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #22
Try downloading it here.

--------------------
--------------------
BoaEdit
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
Yeah, I downloaded the appropriate Java update and still can't open the program. It says to check the Console for error messages, but I don't know where that is.

I'm running OS 10.3.9, if it matters.

[ Wednesday, June 06, 2007 09:15: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #24
Open up a command-line window/terminal/whatever it is for Macs, go to the directory you have the .jar file, and then run it.

For example, if you put the .jar into '/Kel/Folder', type "cd /Kel/Folder" to get to the directory, and then type "java -jar BoaEdit.jar" to run the .jar. If there are any errors when you run it, they should be printed out onto the screen.

--------------------
I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. So I said, "Got any shoes you're not using?"
- Steven Wright

Pages