Outdoor special encounter

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Outdoor special encounter
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
Special encounter 0 has a group of hostile monsters set. They start at (9, 14), don't move, force the party to fight them right away, and don't allow evasion.

However, when I start the scenario and go to (9, 14), I don't see a trace of my encounter group. I walk just right over that square, and they're nowhere to be seen.

Can someone offer hints?

Edit: Here's a full shot of the encounter settings.

IMAGE(http://stuff.ermarian.net/arancaytar/images/screenshots/encounter.jpg)

State 13 and 14 are implemented, SDF 10 0 is 0.

[ Saturday, April 14, 2007 00:40: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
If I understand what you want to do, you have to use a preset encounter. The special encounters are used for different things. However, as I never used them, I can't say what it actually is they are there for. All I can say is that you'd best look that up in the manual that accompanied the original Editor.

EDIT: according to earlier mentioned manual:

"Special encounters, which are spawned into existance by commands on the outdoor section script."

I don't know if you intnded this to do, but I assume you want a group of monsters, say, guard a specific place like the Senarti fort in WtRM (it's that hill in the water with bare, cavefloors)? In that case, you definetly want to use the preset encounter.

[ Saturday, April 14, 2007 01:27: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
To continue on what Thralni said, there are three types of outdoor encounters. Special, preset, and wandering. For this situation you want preset. Wandering are for-- well wandering monsters, like plagues in A3. Preset and special seem fairly similar, but preset cannot be created from a script, whereas specials MUST be created from a script. If you're ambushing a player or something where you want the group to come out of nowhere, use specials. Technically you could still use your special encounter the same way you would a preset, you just have to place it via script first: use place_out_spec_enc() in the init_state.

[ Saturday, April 14, 2007 07:04: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Oh, I get it. A special encounter is one I have to place with place_out_spec_enc? Thanks very much!

In any case, I've recreated this as a preset, and now it works perfectly. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.