Contest Rules

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Contest Rules
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
I decided to post this in a new topic. These rules are to be considered to be near final phase and are the results of much discussion. Please read them over and if you have any minor additions, changes, or corrections, please indicate below.

You may puruse previous discussions here.

Eligibility

Both Blades of Avernum and Blades of Exile scenarios are eligible for entry into the 8th Scenario Design Contest with the following guidelines:

1) The scenario cannot have been an entrant in any previous Spiderweb of Olympia scenario design contest.
2) All entered scenarios (utilities are exempt) must have been submitted to Spiderweb Software.*
3) The deadline for entry is November 30, 2006.

* If you already submitted to Spiderweb and either have not been posted or have been removed, you may host it independently. However, you must have actually attempted to submit it to Spiderweb software.

Categories

Small Scenario
Large Scenario
Newcomer
Best Utility

Small Scenario: < 25 zones
Large Scenario: >= 25 zones

Zones is the total number of towns plus outdoor sections. Near identical towns (such as use of VTE) count as 0.5 of a zone.

To be eligible for the Newcomer category, you must not have been a participant in any previous Spiderweb or Olympia scenario design contest. If this applies to you and you have more than one entry in this contest, you may select only one to be in the Newcomer category.

Judging

Initial Rounds

Scenarios in each category will be given a score from 1-10 based on quality, 1 being lowest and 10 being highest. The decision criteria is generally up to the individual judge so long as he/she is consistent where possible. The exception is that a judge cannot favor either BoE scenarios over BoA scenarios or vice versa, each must be judged on it's merits. All judges scores are averaged to make a cumulative score.

The highest ranked scenario in each category (except Best Utility) and any scenario with a score of 80% the highest score in the category will advance to the Best Scenario round. For example, suppose a category has four scenarios ranked 8.8, 8.5, 7.6, and 6.3. The cutoff for admission to the final round is 7.04 (0.8*8.8), so the top three scenarios advance and the lowest one does not.

Final Round

The scenarios that advanced are judged in a final best scenario round. All participating judges then discuss and debate to rank the scenarios from best to worst. Each judge is given three votes that he/she may distribute as he/she sees fit with a maximum of two for one scenario. How the judge actually allocates votes are secret.

Once voting has completed the lower 50% rounded down (if there are 7, only the lowest 3 are dropped) are eliminated. If there are ties within the cutoff, all tied scenarios remain. Any votes for eliminated scenarios may be redistributed at the judge's discretion; votes for scenarios still in play may not be reallocated. The process continues until one scenario has the most points.

Tie Breaking

In the event of a tie that cannot be broken because no votes remain to be reallocated, with the exception of the final decision round, the cumulative score of the initial round is used to make the decision. Should those scores be tied, the high scores are compared and on down to second highest, third highest, and so on. In the event of an actual tie between all scores, both (or all those tied) scenarios are eliminted.

If a tie occurs in the final decision round (i.e. two scenarios remain), all votes are cleared and the judges vote for their preferred scenario. If this vote ends in a tie, the above criteria are used. If all criteria are tied, the competition is a tie and both are co-winners.

In the event more than two scenarios remain and all remaining scenarios are tied, the original decision criteria is used until two remain (at which a vote is done as above) or the tie is broken. Should the tie be impossible to break, a vote will be done to attempt to break a tie. If doing so is impossible, then all scenarios that are tied are declared co-winners.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
TM, who one must assume will be entering this contest, has some opinions on the voting:

quote:
If we're going with a voting system by hook or by crook, I'd rather have it go as such:
Take the number of finalists and divide the number by two. If there is an odd number of finalists, round up. This is the number of scenarios a judge can vote for. Order scenarios by the number of votes received, then use that same number as a cutoff, taking the scenarios with the highest number of votes. Then, take the number of remaining scenarios and repeat the process.
It'd probably be better to have this discussion on the Lyceum forums, considering that TM, who is definitely going to enter this contest, is banned here.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
I'm still in the dark as to how judges are selected. I've had people try to explain it, and it never sinks in.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #3
Ephesos - judging by past contests, *i will post a topic, probably in November, where you can volunteer. He'll probably have some rules.

*i - So basically, if you submit a scenario to SW that wasn't in a prev. contest, you're in? That makes me wonder, because SW hosts scenarios eligible for previous contests but weren't entered.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
For clarity, to be eligible, you cannot have entered any previous Spiderweb of Olympia contest. Every scenario deserves one shot at glory, in my mind.

As for judging, I'll put something up sometime in November soliciting volunteers. I don't want to put it out too early. If you volunteer, you can judge any categories that you do not partake in. Having too many volunteers is rarely, if ever, a problem.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #5
I'm just curious, but are BoA scenarios competing against BoE scenarios?

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
I just wanted to state I sent out my scenario to Spiderweb, though they didn't put it on their site yet.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
I figure I'll let Jeff release GF4 for Mac before I needle him to update the tables. Let him get that monkey off his back first.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis:

I'm just curious, but are BoA scenarios competing against BoE scenarios?

Yes, although there are only about three or so elgible scenarios, and out of those three, only one has any chance of doing well thusfar.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #9
Sorry for double posting, but I need to bring this back up.

Is preliminary judging done anonymously, or is it done in a forum. Because if the latter, then I need to get a forum at the Lyceum ready soon.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
I was just going to make a closed forum here.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
I want prelim judging to have scores emailed to a judging coordinator. No cross-contamination.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #12
How I was going to do it was going to do it was have them submit their scores with comments and then open a forum for discussion.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
I've sent in my scores and comments. (Please post-date appropriately.)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #14
As we have five days left:

As far as judging goes, will you assign judges to categories based on their entries and game access?

And to everyone else, this is your last chance to complain about the rules! :P

EDIT: Haven't noticed this before. According to those rules, utilites are elgible, but you've said previously they're not. Which is true?

[ Saturday, November 25, 2006 07:29: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
Utilities are eligible.

Scripts are not part of this contest.

Those were the two categories that were discussed, it was decided to have a script contest in a few months, probably around March or April.

--------------------
quote:

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
If the voting is done in secret — which I think it has to be — then why even bother opening a forum? The person running the contest can just post basic results as necessary, i.e., "Echoes: Renegade and Magus of Cattalon are the two scenarios from Large Scenario moving on to the finals," or whatever.

And a scenario gets entered in exactly one category? That is, a Newcomer scenario is only a Newcomer, and not a Small or Large?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Orginally written by Kelandon:
If the voting is done in secret — which I think it has to be — then why even bother opening a forum?
quote:
Originally written by *i:

The scenarios that advanced are judged in a final best scenario round. All participating judges then DISCUSS and DEBATE to rank the scenarios from best to worst. Each judge is given three votes that he/she may distribute as he/she sees fit with a maximum of two for one scenario. How the judge actually allocates votes are secret.
(Emphasis added)

[ Saturday, November 25, 2006 11:29: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
I am opposed.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
quote:

And a scenario gets entered in exactly one category? That is, a Newcomer scenario is only a Newcomer, and not a Small or Large?
My belief was that each entrant selected the appropriate category(ies) for each scenario being entered into the contest, within the guidelines for categorization. Each Newcomer scenario would therefore be in either Large or Small (if desired).

But, whatever.

--------------------
quote:

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
Salmon: I said that based on what people are actually doing, which I found surprising.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #21
I'm concerned about allowing people who enter scenarios to judge other categories. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to select the worst possible scenario to move on to the finals, so as to give their own scenario a better shot at taking the top prize?

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #22
We expect judges to be honest in the initial rounds. After all, there is nothing at stake other than bragging rights really so I don't see the consequences to be too bad.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by *i:

We expect judges to be honest in the initial rounds. After all, there is nothing at stake other than bragging rights really so I don't see the consequences to be too bad.
I would gather from this statement that one of two things has happened. Either Jeff was unwilling to donate a prize or prizes to the winner(s), or he was never asked.

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #24
And really, having participants judge other categories has been done before. It's never been a problem, as far as I know. Besides, even if someone tried to do that, I'm almost sure they'd be caught.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal

Pages