Revive ALL

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Revive ALL
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #0
Is there any code that would allow you to revive all characters after they all die?
So that when the last one is killed by any means, they'd just all be revived.

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
As far as scripting, you could use a revive_party() call and check that each char_ok() in the scenario START_STATE. If not, then use the revive_party().

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
If you want the party to completely die and then be revived, then there is no clean way to do it. I believe the game signals automatic loss immediately without taking any detours once the last character dies.

If this is what you want, a workaround for this is to create a lifesaver item. Use a call to check to see if it has been used. I can provide more elaboration later if necessary.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #3
I think it happens at the end of the current state, so if you kill them and revive them in the same state, the game won't end.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #4
Well, the thing is, I'm triing to make a scenario to feature a day stage followed by a night stage, followed by a day stage, and so on.
The purpose of a night stage would be to face an evil presence (probably your own temptations, bad habits, etc.) that haunts and drains you by day and prevents you from functioning normally.
I know it may sound silly and uninterresting by some (i hope not too many though) players, but i think it might be interresting whenever completed.
So, every night you'd have a chance to destroy your enemy, but if you failed (even got killed in combat), you wouldn't die, but just wake up; maybe even a little weaker :) .

--------------------
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #5
That actually sounds really cool.

If you get a chance to kill the night enemy, why shouldn't he have the chance to kill you? Would you be on a time limit (say 8 turns) to kill him, and if you didn't that would be failure?

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
In older versions of BoA, when the entire party died, the game stopped running script, the turn stopped, and you lost. In the most recent version, I think it waits until the end of the state that it's running (not even the end of the turn), but I am not sure.

It'd be easier just to revive most of the party if individual members die during the night but leave the party dead if all of them die.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

It'd be easier just to revive most of the party if individual members die during the night but leave the party dead if all of them die.
This can be explained much more easily on a plot level, anyway. If all the PCs fail against their evil side (or whatever the enemy turns out to be), then none of them will be left to awaken the others. You could do some easy string manipulation stuff at the start of each day and have the characters that survived wake up the others.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by the Great Potato:

That actually sounds really cool.

If you get a chance to kill the night enemy, why shouldn't he have the chance to kill you? Would you be on a time limit (say 8 turns) to kill him, and if you didn't that would be failure?
Thanks, and yes, i thought there'd be a time limit, yes. Like 16h daytime and 8h night time - so, twice the amount of time for day and once for night. Or even less, coz falling asleep and waking up takes some time too :) .

Important: There was meant to be only one PC in the party.

Kelandon and Ephesos: That also sounds to me like a very nice idea.

Or,what about that:
If you had your Mom for a second PC, but she'd just wake you up in the morning (or revive you if you die), but otherwise the party'd be split. I saw it being split in Mad Ambition, so I know it's possible. But what i do not know is if when the party is separated and the active one dies - do you lose, or what? You probably do, right?

[ Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:29: Message edited by: Anarhiztok ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #9
I believe so. I may do some quick little tests with the mechanics of death to provide some more information.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
I don't think you die - I think you go back to where the other person is.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
When the party is separated and the active person dies, the entire party is treated as dead and the game ends. I just checked.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
The scenario "Cresent Valley" has an arena where you can send one PC in to fight and he'll be revived if he dies, but I seem to recall the implementation being a bit flaky -- sometimes the game would give you a game over message instead of reviving you.

One option is to have the enemy attack entirely through scripted damage calls (check the scripts for some of the bosses in Canopy, like Adlerauge or the Demon Idol, to see how to do this). If its next attack *would* kill the PC (i.e. the PC is at 0 HP, or the attack does unblockable damage greater than the PC's current HP), instead of attacking it wakes you up.

[ Thursday, September 07, 2006 23:45: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

If its next attack *would* kill the PC (i.e. the PC is at 0 HP, or the attack does unblockable damage greater than the PC's current HP), instead of attacking it wakes you up.
So, if you went with the unblockable option, then you'd have to have preset levels of damage, right? I'm pretty sure that without you can't check the PC's char_ok() quick enough.

I really love the room for creative writing here... if this scenario comes to be, I expect some really good writing for when the evil... well, thing, would kill you. A variation on "It opens its gaping maw, and you awake drenched in cold sweat. It's gone." would probably be appropriate, but I'd love to see the final result.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #14
Complete with the appropriate sound effects!

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by the Great Potato:

Complete with the appropriate sound effects!
This is why I need to invest in some speakers...

To me, BoA doesn't have sound, which means that I don't hear other people's hard work, and which is more, don't add souunds in my own scenarios...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #16
Making this appear completely seemless and perfect to the player would be very difficult if not impossible.

The death screen is practically immediate and it does not wait for the next turn to appear. Additionally, when a character dies indoors or in combat, he drops all of his items. The fact that the player can have any size party he wants, which could even change during the game, and that he can revive dead PCs with spells makes keeping track of deaths complex.

In theory I have a system that should work, but it involves using lifesaver items. I think it would be acceptable to explain that these items are some sort of protective ward to prevent your mind from really believing that it has died during your night phase.

However, I will need to know exactly what the player will be allowed to do before I can really describe what the scripting will look like. Can PCs die and be revived by Return Life during the night phase? How do they actually transition to the night phase? Is there any point when you want some PCs dead with only one alive (for dramatic effect)?

--------------------
====
====