How do you make scripts?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How do you make scripts?
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #0
I really am stumped when it comes to making scripts dose any one have like a guide to making scripts i don't find the documentation that comes with the editor easy to understand.
:(

--------------------
I hate you all
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The best advice I can give you is to open up the scripts for other people's scenarios and see how they did things.

Also, the Cookbook may be useful to you.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #2
I tried the cookbook but all it show's is a thing saying the minimum stuff you should have there.
The thing i want to know is how you put in extra's.

Thank's for the advice.
Later I might just look at other people's senario's just as you suggested.

More advice is welcome.

--------------------
I hate you all
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #3
Just curious: what exactly do you find hard to understand? Is is getting used to things like variables, conditional statements, and the like (the programming aspect)? Is it understanding the way states are created and used (the finite state machine aspect)? Or is it that you are overwhelmed by the number of calls you can make?

Thuryl's right: the best way to pick up any programming language is to learn by example. The Cookbook's good: it doesn't teach you everything about the language, but it gives examples for the most common things you do. A list of nearly all the calls you can make, and an explanation for what they do, can be found in the Script Reference (I'd recommend going here, right clicking the link for it near the bottom of the page (or whatever the Mac equivilent is), and saving it to your computer). Also, links for many other resources, including scripts, can be found here.

--------------------
Just Another AvernumScript Hacker.

[ Saturday, May 13, 2006 17:25: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
You can make a passable scenario just following the basics in the cookbook (which does a very good job explaining basic calls, use it.) If you have something more complex in mind I would say to wait until you've done a basic scenario.

I had tried this approach several months ago, and after making a truly awful, almost unplayable scenario, I pretty much gave up on ever understanding scripting. I came back recently and it all made sense, and am pretty pleased with how things are going. Just the experience gained from a basic scenario is invaluable, even if the result is a steaming pile of crap.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Thuryl's advice here is probably the best that can be given.

Also, check out the basic articles on KPPP and the links.

EDIT: I discovered to my horror that my parents' cable provider had eaten my website when I posted this. I think I've been able to restore it, though. Bizarre.

[ Saturday, May 13, 2006 18:35: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7200
Profile #6
Maybe someone should make some freeware that can make new scripts and edit them, like uhm... the way you write scripts!!! :rolleyes: because I have Problems writing Scripts Cause there are so many things to have to learn scripts, Right now I am reading the Cookbook. But hmm... I really want to make my own items with special passive effects on the player and use my own cool icons, Say..., Such as number ___ or those Unused Icons! I am just thinking of a number for the icon... or how bout some of those text boxes or Dialogue. Well, I've heard of the NSIS Creator to pack up Software that was made, so It could be installable. Hmm... I must be trailing off topic... :P :P :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :)

--------------------
We People are So mad about scripts we ought to rewrite them all to the better.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
Wow.

Really. Just wow. Truely necromatic.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #8
We could all learn something from this person.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
I agree with Dintiradan: tell us what exactly you find so hard to understand.

Thuryl is right too: Look at other people's scripts.

My two cents: Make a town by following the quickstart guide in the editor docs (not the appendix!). It will teach you the most basic stuff. After that, continue by making, say, your own message_dialog calls, and see if it works. then you might make an "if-statment" of it. Kelandon has an extremely handy tutorial to make them. I recommend it.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by DaCoolShaper:

:P :P :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :)
It burns my eyes...

Thralni, Bomber just never replied. DaCoolShaper revived the topic for no real reason.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by DaCoolShaper:

:P :P :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :)
It burns my eyes...

Thralni, Bomber just never replied. DaCoolShaper revived the topic for no real reason.

Oh. Sorry, then, I guess. I just don't look at the dates...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!