Dialogue Problems

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Dialogue Problems
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #0
This post is not so much centred on problems with dialogue itself, but on how to create several different dialogues in the same town for multiple characters.

I have already given all talking npcs their own personality and used personality = x; on each dialogue node, so then why does it start with node 1 for every character, even their personality number does not correspond?

EDIT: Never mind, I just forgot to assign the node numbers to the memory cells.
Moderators, delete this topic at will.

[ Saturday, March 11, 2006 14:13: Message edited by: Pyrulen ]

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Just so you know, the "personality" field doesn't actually seem to do anything at all. As near as we can tell, it only exists to help the designer keep track of who each dialogue node belongs to.

[ Saturday, March 11, 2006 15:28: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
By Thuryl:
quote:
Just so you know, the "personality" field doesn't actually seem to do anything at all. As near as we can tell, it only exists to help the designer keep track of who each dialogue node belongs to.
Hmmm... this got me thinking. I haven't looked into it, but maybe you could use it to make everyone in a certain range of personalities become hostile, or some other effect. All you would need is some call to check personalities, if one exists.

--------------------
I'm not as think as you drunk I am, occifer.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
I believe the personality field is used with things like the INTRO text, but not a lot else.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
That's the only thing the BoA documentation says it does.

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #5
quote:
maybe you could use it to make everyone in a certain range of personalities become hostile
Probably possible only by manually changing individual creatures in a list. Then again, you might be able to do something with SDFs for each character on this.

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
There was a call, though I can't remember what it was, in which the personality was necesary. It had nothing to do with dialogue, though. When I'll have time I'll search for it.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Well, current_personality involves the personality, obviously. But if that's not the one you mean, then perhaps you are thinking of the character ID, not the personality. That plays into a few calls.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
Yes, that was the one. What is the character ID for actually. I can't remember using it even once. Although I can look it up myself, actually.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #9
This has been lifted straight from the appendices:
quote:
When a character is added to the party, its character ID remains unchanged. The calls
character_in_party and remove_char_from_party will refer to this character ID.
And there we have it.

--------------------