2 icon high terrains on hills?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: 2 icon high terrains on hills?
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #0
Was there a reason that Jeff used the custom graphics method for trees on hills in DwtD? The documentation says something about floors needing to be a certain shape and such, but is this a hard and fast rule, or just generally a good idea?

I thought I'd try to do something similar, without requiring custom graphics. Essentially: hills as floors, + trees as terrain with the correct special property enabled. Might not even be necessary to do that.

I have not had time to test any of this junk extensively, this is a proof of concept more than anything else. It seems to work in Issac's 3D Editor though.

EDIT: the code is irrelevant now.

[ Sunday, October 16, 2005 04:21: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
I don't if I can be a real help here, but I( do know, that hills generally are like you would define trees, and not like floors. About the floors, I know, that if you don't put it in in a diamond shape, you get it all weird in the game. So yes, its a hard and fast rule.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #2
I was fairly certain that it would crash the game when actually in BoA proper. It did. However, it is curious how the 3D editor let it work at all though. Unless someone does know the rumoured method of a three icon terrain, having the taller trees on a hill is little more than a pipe dream.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
It doesn't work, because Jeff made the assumption that all floors will be contained by the correct rombus, and so his code may draw the floor tiles in any arbitrary order. With the terrain icons, which are supposed to overlap, he had to make the code be careful about the order of drawing, but with floors he didn't need to. So, if you put in a floor icon that extend outside of its rombus, other tiles may be drawn over the parts that stick out, and this is exactly what happens. Actually, the game just ignores it, htough it looks terrible.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Um, couldn't you just make a terrain graphic that was a hill with a tree on it?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
He already mentioned the possibility of using custom graphics in his first post. He's trying to find a way to get by without them.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!