Converting from PC to Mac?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Converting from PC to Mac?
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #0
Yes, I have done a search on this. If there is a thread that explains, in plain english, how to do this, then I couldn't find it. Every topic I've come across from the search feature has been from Mac to PC. sigh

I seem to get the general impression that I need to convert a *.bmp to a *.pict and put the result in a *.cmg file. Can anyone explain how to convert a graphic from PC to Mac, step-by-step? And what the hell does CMG stand for anyway?

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
You can't make a cmg file inside the Windows operating system. The only way to do it on a PC is to run a Mac emulator, and I think those cost money.

If you have a Mac beta tester, s/he can convert the graphics for you, though. Or heck, I could do it if you sent e-mailed them to me.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
You can very likely create them with Linux. Which doesn't fix the problem, but Linux emulators (Cygwin?) are a whole lot easier to come by than Mac emulators, as well as typically free.

Still, Kel's approach is least hassle. Ask someone.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Somebody like me perhaps (or Kelandon).

Next week I have vacation, so I would have tons of time to do it.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #4
Hmm, there really should be a devilish grin smiley here...

quote:
Originally written by Atrus:

You can very likely create them with Linux. Which doesn't fix the problem, but Linux emulators (Cygwin?) are a whole lot easier to come by than Mac emulators, as well as typically free.

Still, Kel's approach is least hassle. Ask someone.

I do have a copy of linux buried around here somewhere, but I have neither the space, nor the inclination to convert this machine to dual-boot. I've had nothing but problems with linux, mainly because I can't download a version, and the only copy I've got doesn't include documentation. Ridiculous really - what kind of distro doesn't include at least the man pages?

@ Kelandon and Thralni: I'm very thankful for the offers, and I'll check with you later to see if you are still interested. I need to finalise what I'm including and such: I would really prefer to keep file sizes to a minimum.

[RANT]
I am... uncomfortable with relying on other people to ensure compatability of my work. I'm assuming that this sort of thing is why nearly all scenario designers use a Mac. Seems counter productive to the whole "I'm porting my game to another operating system, so I can make money off it's users too" philosophy. I understand that resedit isn't even supported anymore - if Jeff really wanted to do the best by both platforms he wouldn't be using an unsupported and irritatingly one-way-street-esque method of storing graphics.

I know that non-Wintel users can be frequently frustrated by developers refusing to be inclusive of either their architecture or platform, but that hardly justifies doing what is, essentially, the same thing to the platform of 'choice' of a majority of everyday people.
[/RANT]

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
The thing you have to remember is that even Jeff admits that Jeff isn't a very good programmer. He uses resource-based graphics for Mac because that's what he's used to, and because it means he can reuse code from his previous games.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #6
So what does CMG stand for? Would be interesting to make a converter, but I'd have to know the name along so I could atleast find the file format. ;)

quote:
The thing you have to remember is that even Jeff admits that Jeff isn't a very good programmer.
Perhaps. But then I know of one guy to say that and then turn around and code a simple operating system. So that doesn't necessarily mean much. :D

[ Thursday, October 13, 2005 23:09: Message edited by: Frobozz ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #7
His coding ability is nigh on irrelevant: there are GPL'ed or LGPL'ed, or similarly licensed libraries for dealing with graphics, and a lot of these are cross platform.

If he really wanted to, he could have found a library that is cross-platform for Mac OS X and Windows, possibly even for Linux too. Somewhere out there has to be a simple cross platform library which is free, enen for commercial applications.

That leaves the only plausible option: laziness. Not that I have anything against being lazy, mind you, a lot of friends of mine are lazy. If you don't get the joke, don't comment on it.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Frobozz:

So what does CMG stand for? Would be interesting to make a converter, but I'd have to know the name along so I could atleast find the file format. ;)
CMG isn't really an official file format -- it's something Jeff made up. It's just a resource file with a lot of PICT resources in it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Frobozz:

CMG isn't really an official file format -- it's something Jeff made up. It's just a resource file with a lot of PICT resources in it.

Ok so if it is his format, why store PICT files? Why not raw files. Raw files are basically color data with no header file. Simple enough to load if you know the height, width, and color depth. :D
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #10
PICT files are very well supported in Carbon, and are to Macs what BMPs are to Windows.