Pop-rivet my skull, please.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Pop-rivet my skull, please.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #0
Check out corescendata2.txt - terrain #172 and terrain #173 are obviously fences, yet are named windows. Jeff used the import = whatever; feature to great effect I see. sigh... Is this one of these things that will get fixed, or does BoA get similar support to BoE?

[ Sunday, October 02, 2005 22:04: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #1
I think someone comiled a list of bug fixes a while ago and sent it to Jeff. Seeing as Avernum 4 is the new cash cow I doubt anything will come of it.

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #2
This is one of these 'oh my god, that is so easy to fix!' kinds of bugs.

By simply adding
te_name = "Fence"to those two entries, it is fixed. Nothing more than an oversight really.

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
The trouble isn't in the fixing; it's in the updating. Jeff's main excuse for not updating is that he doesn't want to make people download updates. (Yes, I'm sure you can think of several ways in which this doesn't make sense, both in general and for this particular example. Try telling that to Jeff.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Fortunately, this is also one that we can fix ourselves. Just make a custom objects script that fixes all the errors in corescendata and always start with that when you make a new scenario.

In fact, I imagine that once the BoA Editor Re-make is finished, we can just make the editor automatically generate a fixed custom objects script with each new scenario.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

In fact, I imagine that once the BoA Editor Re-make is finished, we can just make the editor automatically generate a fixed custom objects script with each new scenario.
Actually it'd be easier to create a base custom object script and package it with the 3D editor, as is done with the warrior's grove data. I'd have to add a few extra lines to the code to automate copying, which I won't be able to do for a week or two, but after that is done it would only be neccessary to update the base script. Of course someone will have to build the OS X version.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
That's what I meant. I just wasn't able to say it correctly. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #7
This little bit of code is really giving me a headache...

begindefineterrain 434;
clear;
te_name = "Fence";
te_which_sheet = 717; // te_which_sheet = 788;
te_which_icon = 6; // te_which_icon = 1;
te_ed_which_sheet = 688;
te_ed_which_icon = 99;
te_icon_offset_x = 20; // te_icon_offset_x = 0;
te_icon_offset_y = 13; // te_icon_offset_y = 0;
te_move_block_e = 1;
te_can_look_at = 0;
te_draw_on_automap = 1;
te_beam_hit_type = 1;
When I press 'L' to look, this terrain feature comes up as selectable. I have tried it with te_can_look_at = x; as 0, I've tried it as 1, I've tried it without that line altogether. Same result every time. What exactly am I doing wrong here?

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #8
Is using terrain number 434 acceptable for a non-searchable terrain? I've got nothing else, since I'm at work, working hard, and can't be bothered to not work.

Really.

*this message sponsored by work*

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
I've had that same problem, actually. Somehow, one group of trees just keeps coming up as searchable (it's in DoK), and I never did figure out why.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #10
In an older thread: "te_can_look_at strangeness", spiderbytes mentioned that "te_can_look_at" was dodgy, only working properly in conjunction with a terrain script. In a different thread, The Creator mentioned that "te_can_look_at" either didn't work at all or didn't work properly. Has anyone actually been able to lock down the idiosyncracies of this pesky little call?

[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 06:16: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
My suspicion is that there are some terrain properties which automatically make a terrain look-at-able, overriding the te_can_look_at property. Try deleting lines one by one from the terrain definition and seeing if the terrain can still be looked at after each line is removed.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!