Tips for a newbie?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Tips for a newbie?
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #0
I'm thinking about trying my hand at this scenario designing thing, but having problems actually putting it together.

I got a story in mind, and I have been toying with the editor trying to learn how it all works. For the most part, I understand it.

I'm still working on scripting, it is what I'm having the most difficulty with. I feel it should be easier then this, but I guess I have never done anything like this before.

Is it hard for most people to get the scripting at first, or is just my stupidity getting in my way again?

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #1
Take a look at the first chapters of a C programming book. The docs don't explain C (which is what AvernumScript is) logic well at all. Once you get that, it's just a matter of finding the calls you need in the appendices.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
An article I wrote that might be helpful

The Cookbook

The home of the 3D Editor

My links page, where you can find various utilities

Most people find learning to script to be pretty hard at first, especially if they haven't had much programming experience. It gets much easier after a while, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #3
The preprovided basicnpc script is actually fairly flexible. I'd say if you start a small town and try to script a conversation or two and play with the memory cell functions of the basicnpc script, then go back and read the docs again, a lot more of it will make sense all of a sudden.

Well, that's how I learn, anyway: read docs (barely understand). Play with stuff (don't really get anything useful done). Read docs again (much better understanding). Fix stuff I played with earlier, try to expand. Read docs again... somewhere around the 5th repitition of the cycle the docs become more of a reference for obscura than anything else.

And, really, 95% of scenarios need a basic, friendly town of people you can buy stuff from and get quests from. Just setting that up is a great way to learn things.

Kel's articles are really good, too.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
I find that reading scripts from other people's scenarios and seeing how what goes on in the scenario corresponds to what's written in the script was the best way to familiarise myself with the scripting system. Before I'd written a line of code for my own scenario, I hung around the BoA forum for several months looking at common things that were going wrong with other people's scripts and how they fixed them, and I betatested two scenarios (both of which I fairly thoroughly poked around in the scripts of.)

[ Friday, May 13, 2005 03:58: Message edited by: So I Will Eat Fugu ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!