SHOPS - SHOPS - SHOPS> Oh, and more EVIL shops!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: SHOPS - SHOPS - SHOPS> Oh, and more EVIL shops!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #0
Read the above^ I HATE SHOPS! , but I also need them, so I've got to ask you lot if you can help me. As most of you know, any scenario worth playing has at least ONE decent shop. So my problem is... How the HELL do you make shops????? Please give me some help here. And don't say try reading the manual, because I'll understand ANCIENT GREEK before I understand what it says! . So basically I'm asking for an online (posting) tutorial on shopping (making shops in BoA), or if somebody could just create a script for a trainer who teaches you Riposte and Anotomy for immens prices I'd also be happy (I mean that the characters in the game have to pay lots for the things, not me pay for the script!). But I'd still want that tutorial!

THANKS (If you help!)

- Archmagi Micael

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 07:12: Message edited by: Archmagi Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
Please first BITE ME and then LOOK AT THE SCENARIO SCRIPT OF ANY SCENARIO RELEASED SO FAR.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #2
IMAGE(http://djur.desperance.net/img/rtfm.gif)

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 10:09: Message edited by: Morgan ]
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #3
Sigh....

Shops are in the scenario script. It will be a text file named the exact same as the scenario except that it will be .txt Inside you will find add_item_to_shop() with a bunch of numbers in the shop. After reading 1 part of the editor docs you will learn that some of those numbers are for the number of the shop, some of them are for the items, and some are for how many items there are. If you can't figure it out from there, you're on your own...

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Oh, whatever, I'll just do it. In your scenario's scenario script, in the state START_SCEN_STATE, right next to the other add_item_to_shop calls, you can toss in these:

add_item_to_shop(6,5029,5); // adds five levels of Riposte
add_item_to_shop(6,5022,5); // adds five levels of Anatomy
This means that when shopping at shop 6, the party can buy five levels of Riposte and five levels of Anatomy. You still have to put shop 6 somewhere, most likely in a dialogue script using the call begin_shop_mode, as one can find in VoDT's t1Sweetgrovedlg.txt in, for instance, node 5.

Note that the first parameter of add_item_to_shop is which shop it's being added to (and since shops 0-5 are defined by default in a new scenario script, I figured you hadn't touched that at all yet, so shop 6 is safe).

The second parameter is which item is being sold, and anything in the 5000's is a skill. The amount above 5000 is the skill number, so since Riposte is skill number 29 (as you can find in the Appendices), Riposte can be added by indicating item number 5029.

The third parameter is how much of it is being sold, in this case meaning how many levels. That is, you can buy five skill levels of Riposte in the above two calls. If you changed that third parameter to 7, you could buy seven levels of it. If you changed it to 4, you could buy four levels of it.

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 10:45: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #5
Why don't you look at the script for Warrior Grove? You can just use one of the shops there as your base, and then copy and paste it into your own town scripts. Oh, and traditionally, it's Triple Martian not Greek.

Omnia Graeci mihi est!

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 13:33: Message edited by: Dastal ]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #6
In case you don't know, the manual has numerous bookmarks with pretty good titles when read in Abode Acrobat.

Instructions for making shops, though, is clumped in with "Making Dialogue" under a section called "Making Shops."

void add_item_to_shop(short which_shop,short which_item,short how_many)

is the call that stocks up shops, like Kel said. You can only add items to the shop at the moment.

In order to start shop mode, you need to use

void begin_shop_mode(char shop_name,char shop_desc,short which_shop,short price_adjust,short
sell_adjustment)

shop_name is the name of the shop.
shop_desc is a short description of the shop.
which_shop is the shop number that coincides with the shop numbers that you used in add_item_to_shop().
price_adjust can be from 0 to 6; the higher the more expensive the shop.
sell_adjust can be from -1 to 6; if -1, the shop doesn't buy items from you; the higher the number, the lower the selling price.

Unless you have shops that change stock dynamically, you should stock the shops in the START_SCEN_STATE of your scenario script. But you can use it anywhere.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #7
Just so you know, "short" and "void" are not used in the actual script, they are ways of determining what type of data you are working with.
"short" is a short amount of characters (normally integers with AvernumScript)
"void" is simply a function that does not expect to return a value.
EXAMPLE:
"how much money do you have?"
would be something that expects a value to be returned
(thats obviously not real code)

and

"you have 5 dollars."
would be a statement that doesn't expect you to say anything, therefore it does not want a returned value, and is considered a "void" statement.

P.S. I'm not sure, but I believe that Erika's Cookbook has info on creating shops easily. It can be found in the link section of www.spidweb.com

[ Friday, October 22, 2004 15:15: Message edited by: Rabid Pigs Eating A Wolf ]

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #8
Thanks guys!

And I do know what VOID and SHORT mean, I just couldn't find/understand it in the editor manual. One last question - do you need a personality for when you set a character to become a shop person?

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
While it seems like the "Personality" characteristic does very little (affects the action = INTRO call, but that's about it), it's not a bad idea to set it in any case. So the answer is, you probably don't need it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have it.

That is, if I understand what you're asking, which I'm not sure that I do.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #10
Okay. It's just that I noticed that in most scenarios nearly everyone has a personality (I don't have any), and was wondering if that's why my shops never work.

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------