BoA in german?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA in german?
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #0
hi!
i only try to use the BoA-editor for the first time. i enjoy playing the game, even if it's a little hard for me, cause i'm from germany. and, as you may notice, my english is not that good.
is there someone else, who would like to have scenarios in german language? is ist even possible to write the dialogues in german? (not yet tried to use scripts, think it'll become hard for me with the english manual).
and of course my first problem: my party doesn't start out at the starting point i gave them, why?

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
As far as the possibility of a German Blades audience, I don't know, but the starting location should be easy to handle. Did you mark the place that you wanted using the Set Starting Location option in the Town menu? That's the way to specify where the party originally starts out.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #2
yes, i set this point in the first and only room i created in my town. it did work, until i built a wall around the town, changed the floor in the room and placed a bed and two dressers. ther is anyway enough room for my party to land, but they decided to start out in another corner of the town, two of them behind the townwall.
i tried to set the startingpoint at another place in the room, but they always start there.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #3
You will have to use the english code, but of course your dialogues and texts can be in german, or any other language you choose.
Don't worry, the manual is not that hard to read, and if you don't understand something, just ask. There are people here from Germany and Switzerland, so you'll get help.

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 16:54: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
Das ist ein interessantes Idee- vielleicht kannst du es probieren. Ich kann Deutsch, aber mein Deutsch ist ein bischen komisch und der, die, das usw. verwirren mich von Zeit zu Zeit. Drizzt is ein tollen Autor der Scenarios für BoE gemacht hat, aber es sieht wie er kein anderen Scenarios machen werden aus. So ein mist! :(

(Korrigieren Sie mich wenn mein Deutsch falsch ist, bitte! Ich habe für nur drei Jahren Deutsch studiert, mein Grammatik ist furchtbar.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Open up the room a little bit. BoA isn't great about figuring out exactly how to place the characters, and if there isn't a lot of space near your starting location, it will put them somewhere else, somewhere seemingly random, as you're describing.

Make the room bigger.

EDIT: TM, you're freaking me out. :P

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 16:51: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Hyperion Mage:

Das ist eine interessante Idee- vielleicht kannst du es probieren. Ich kann Deutsch, aber mein Deutsch ist ein bißchen komisch und der, die, das usw. verwirren mich von Zeit zu Zeit. Drizzt is ein toller Autor, der Scenarios für BoE gemacht hat, aber es sieht aus, als ob er kein anderes Scenario mehr machen wird. So ein mist! :(

(Korrigieren Sie mich, wenn mein Deutsch falsch ist, bitte! Ich habe für nur drei Jahre Deutsch studiert, meine Grammatik ist furchtbar.)

ok, i corrected your mistakes, but it was not too bad! i played your roses of reckonening. at first i had troubles getting started, but in the end it was much fun. i hope i will learn to make my own scenarios. (just starting out).

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Make the room bigger.

ok, i'll try this, thx

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by ef:

You will have to use the english code, but of course your dialogues and texts can be in german, or any other language you choose.
Don't worry, the manual is not that hard to read, and if you don't understand something, just ask. There are people here from Germany and Switzerland, so you'll get help.

ok, thx. i always play BoA with my dictionary at hand. it's not easy. but i learn a lot in this way

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #9
I should think so, yes. I know I did, I'm german too. And minor, don't doublepost, people don't like that here, use the edit button instead. And have fun and enjoy your stay. :)

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #10
if i use the edit button, this it what happens: Only administrators or moderators may perform this action.
i only wanted to let the people see, what i'm referring to. but ok.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #11
*Grin* Use the edit button in your own posts, not in those of other people, and it will work.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #12
ok, this works, but doesn't make much difference, does it?
thx anyway, hope to see you again.
have to test this, now my former message was gone!

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 17:35: Message edited by: minor ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #13
OK, well it's like good etiquette, instead of posting twice in a row, use the edit button on your latest post and append what else you have to say.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
Our grammar is said to be the hardest in Europe apart from Finland, and I suppose I agree. :P

Heh, if Jeff ever wanted to have the Exile and Avernum series translated to German, I guess I could do it, but I'm not sure if it'd pay off for him - most German-speakers who download the game did so, after all, from an English site, so most who come here speak English anyway. :)

Edit: Apart from that Japanese fellow who came here a year ago and used an auto-translator for posting. Babelfish and Google translators are a crime against language.

On that note... "It is and it is end what but it is."

[ Tuesday, July 27, 2004 02:58: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #15
I do not blame you for not understanding Jeff's manual. Some things are phrased very badly, like this:

====

Issuing a begindefine command does not just tell the program you are starting to change a thing. It
also makes that thing a copy of the thing of that type you last edited. In other words, if your script
contained these commands:
begindefinefloor 135;
(a bunch of stuff)
begindefinefloor 136;
// no extra data
begindefinefloor 137;

====

This would be better phrased as:

A begindefine[object] command tells the program that everything after it modifies that [object]. But it also copies all the information from the previous [object] into the current one. This was done to make repetitive objects more easily.

For example, take this code excerpt for townfolk:

begindefinecreature 74;
clear;
cr_name = "Townsman";
cr_level = 2;
cr_start_item 0 = 19;
cr_start_item_chance 0 = 100;
cr_start_item 1 = 20;
cr_start_item_chance 1 = 100;
cr_start_item 2 = 46;
cr_start_item_chance 2 = 100;
cr_default_attitude = 2;
cr_which_sheet = 1503;
cr_small_or_large_template = 1;
cr_default_courage = 0;

begindefinecreature 75; // the information from the above creature has been copied into the current one
cr_name = "Townswoman"; // just change the name
cr_which_sheet = 1504; // change the graphic

begindefinecreature 76; // the information from creature 75 has now been copied into 76
cr_name = "Townsman"; // name changed, but everything stays the same, etc.
cr_which_sheet = 1506;
begindefinecreature 77;

cr_name = "Townswoman";
cr_which_sheet = 1505;
begindefinecreature 78;

cr_name = "Townsman";
cr_which_sheet = 1575;
begindefinecreature 79;

cr_name = "Townswoman";
cr_which_sheet = 1576;

Defining the default courage, level, items, and such would have been very lengthy and a waste of space for such similar creatures.

[ Tuesday, July 27, 2004 05:42: Message edited by: Keep ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Heh, if Jeff ever wanted to have the Exile and Avernum series translated to German, I guess I could do it, but I'm not sure if it'd pay off for him - most German-speakers who download the game did so, after all, from an English site, so most who come here speak English anyway. :)

i just began to translate the first scenario of BoA, for me, other interested german people and of course to see how scripting works by read the scripts and try to understand. if you never have seen such scripts, it's horrible in english.
even i don't want to make my own scenarios in english, because i thik my english is not good enough for that.

now my first problem is solved. i used some sort of blocked floor on the starting point. ok, this couldn't work. but i didn't know, what the B in the corner meant. sorry.

--------------------