Splitting Up Party

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Splitting Up Party
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #0
Are there any calls that remove just one character from the party, leaving the others to explore - the opposite to the split party call that leaves just one character?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Apprentice
Member # 4119
Profile #1
Anyone playing may freak out if it wasn't carefully explained, and it's far from a perfect solution, but you could always kill 1 player off, then resurrect them later.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
That, uh, drops their items on the ground, which is typically a bad thing.

Plus, it'd seem real tacky.
Apprentice
Member # 4119
Profile #3
You could use take_item_char_item(), followed by move_item_on_spot() to move and then return all of the character's items.

Although I still can't get char_take_item() to work and it's put my adventure based scenario on ice.

[ Wednesday, July 21, 2004 07:56: Message edited by: Eldritch_Cadillac ]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #4
Be very careful with this. Make sure they can't resurrect him immediately after you get rid of him. You also have to inform them NOT to switch any characters into the spot of the departed, otherwise that character will die as well.

The best way to do this is to create a large town with the sole purpose of performing this action. That's probably the only way to guarantee that the items won't disappear after they leave the town.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 4119
Profile #5
Things never get stolen do they? I thought that providing the town item limit isn't breached items will stay where you leave them. Therefore it shouldn't matter that much where the items are put, unless the player collects themselves (in which case they have them anyway) they will remain in the same spot.

Quick errata to my previous post : I wasn't suggesting that you kill then ressurrect the player immediately. Kill them off when you reduce the party; ressurrect when you want them reunited.

And again this isn't a perfect solution, but I'm not sure that any real alternative exists if it's what you really want to do with the scenario.

------------

(By tommorrow i may well know better) - signature / epitaph

[ Wednesday, July 21, 2004 09:06: Message edited by: Eldritch_Cadillac ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
You may be able to use erase_char to some effect here, but I've never tried it with the party. If I'm not mistaken, it would take care of the item issue.

It is rather odd that we can't edit character status (by which I mean the status as found in char_status, not the normal kind).

If BoA works like A3, NPCs may pick up items that are just lying on the ground, although I've never seen this behavior in BoA and it's not obvious in basicnpc. Otherwise items will stay put where they were dropped.

EDIT: Ah, yes, Isaac tried something like this. It may be possible to use kill_char to edit a character's status into being split up, alive but not present, although I haven't tried it, and by the sound of it, Isaac didn't either.

EDIT 2: I just played with this a little. kill_char(0,1,0) looks really cool. kill_char(0,11,0) does in fact edit the character's status to being split up, dropping the char's items, but reunite_party doesn't bring that character back, and kill_char doesn't work on someone that's not present. You could probably use split_off_one_char to work around this (basically, instead of reuniting the party directly, split off a character and then reunite the party), but it this would be tricky.

[ Wednesday, July 21, 2004 13:32: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #7
If none of the above ideas work, could you simply move the absent character every turn to a remote part of the town (it'd have to be every turn because the character would keep teleporting back to follow the rest of the party around) and forcecage him so he can't do anything? It'd look pretty tacky though.

And I just realised that won't work too well at all, because if the party goes into combat mode they won't be able to exit it (as everyone needs to be within however many spaces it is of the 1st character).

If only you could make individual characters invisible and able-to-be-walked-through. :P

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #8
Mmmm. Thanks guys. I wanted an hostage type of situation, but it's clear it's for too much bother for a person of my skill.

However, I may just stick it in anyway, and if betatesters complain, I'll remove it.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #9
Remember to take 1-PC parties into account. It wouldn't be very good if you got kidnapped (using this coding, killed) and the game ended with you being dead.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #10
The much-easier way would be to just make it be an NPC hostage. :) Having to cope with losing one of your characters would be interesting, though.

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #11
Of course, if a single PC party was used, I'd give them an NPC like the sister in Babysitting. It's just an idea...

An NPC might be good.

And... an idea.

What call did Jeff use in the Avernum games that allowed character storage, making room for new characters. Look at Fort Avernum, in A1 for an example in a demo. If we knew that, it would be simple to use it in this case, wouldn't it?

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
I think that's one of those things that just doesn't exist in BoA.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #13
Damn. Thanks anyway.

Edit: Tried erase_char call on PC. And got an error. I don't know if it's my bad scripting, or an error though. Has anyone else tried it?

[ Saturday, July 24, 2004 06:55: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?