Collaborative Effort?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Collaborative Effort?
Apprentice
Member # 2948
Profile #0
Hi everyone,
I'm new at this whole coding thing so was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to Collaborate with me on a scenario? I have a really good idea (at least *I* think it is) which would be about the size (maybe a bit smaller) then The Za-Khazi Run. It has to do with continuing the storyline of Erika and the vahnatai. Drop me an email if you are interested. Jaded1313@hotmail.com I've been working on some towns, have 3 small ones done- i just am totally out of my depth on coding though. I can do dialogue and some design, and the storyline if anyone is willing to help let me know.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #1
That's the problem, isn't it? Everyone have ideas, but only a few are willing to code. :D

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Apprentice
Member # 2948
Profile #2
Well i just finishing playing the "babysitting" scenero, and no offensive to the people that came up with it but it really didn't have a very involved or interesting storyline. I was just thinking that if someone knows how to do it but doesn't have a very good storyline i can provide that. I'm still working on my scenero, and will get it done eventually without help i suppose.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #3
Just read the editor docs. You'll see it isn't that difficult. You just have to practice it a little bit.

Don't worry, if you don't know how to implement a specific feature, or something goes wrong with your script, you can always ask for help in this forum. :)

In the end, you'll feel more satisfied with your scenario, and you'll have enough experience with scripting to start another and even more ambitious scenario. ;)

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Jaded_i:
It has to do with continuing the storyline of Erika and the vahnatai.
For the love of god, please, no. Erika is dead. Rentar-Ihrno is vanished. Leave it that way. One "Erika's Legacy" (in BoE) is all we need. If you have any other ideas for scenarios, make them first, and then maybe give this one a try.

Collaborations in Blades rarely if ever work. We had a discussion of this here with a fellow named Max Power, who to the best of my knowledge is still at work on his collaboration.

And BS was rather small and uninteresting because Khoth didn't put that much time into it, not because he didn't have that many good ideas. If he had time to do more, it would've been better. Good coders rarely will go in for this sort of thing.

EDIT: While I have seen several people post that they have a great story that they can't code, I don't think I've ever seen anyone post that they have great coding abilities but no ideas for a scenario plot. This is a bad sign.

[ Sunday, July 18, 2004 13:21: Message edited by: Just call me Kel ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2948
Profile #5
Don't worry i'm not rehashing A3. There is no Rentar-Ihrno. Erika's legacy is mostly what it is concerned with.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #6
Goodness, is it the third week of the month already?

Week 1: Will anyone keep making BoE scenarios now BoA is out?
Week 2: Someone please make a new scenario!
Week 3: How about... wait for it... a COLLABORATION!
Week 4: I'm never going to make a scenario, but here are some ideas for those who are!

Must be.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Just call me Kel:

quote:
It has to do with continuing the storyline of Erika and the vahnatai.
For the love of god, please, no. Erika is dead. Rentar-Ihrno is vanished. Leave it that way. One "Erika's Legacy" (in BoE) is all we need. If you have any other ideas for scenarios, make them first, and then maybe give this one a try.

Erika is in my scenerio ;) Except she is in a Paralell World :D
You should understand. you do know about Quantum Physics and Multiple Dimensions right?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by GIFTSare2 intelectly backwards:
Erika is in my scenerio Except she is in a Paralell World
You should understand. you do know about Quantum Physics and Multiple Dimensions right?

Yes. I'm starting a Physics minor at UC Berkeley. I'd say I know something about quantum physics, although as far as I know, real theories of higher-dimensional space have nothing to do with alternate realities anymore. But sure, alternate realities. Yeah. Got it.

This premise makes it only slightly less of an inherently bad idea, but if handled badly could make it profoundly worse.

Erika is dead. Let her rest in peace.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #9
quote:

quote:
Originally written by GIFTSare2 intelectly backwards:
Erika is in my scenerio Except she is in a Paralell World

Yes. I'm starting a Physics minor at UC Berkeley. I'd say I know something about quantum physics, although as far as I know, real theories of higher-dimensional space have nothing to do with alternate realities anymore. But sure, alternate realities. Yeah. Got it.

This premise makes it only slightly less of an inherently bad idea, but if handled badly could make it profoundly worse.

Erika is dead. Let her rest in peace.

Dont worry. Erika in this dimension is a lonely lady from a town and does NOTHING to help you. I wanted Erika in it, but I didn't want the focus of the story to be on her. In my other dimension, she is dead in a grave, resting in peace :) .
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
I've always felt that there were two main obstacles to collaborative efforts in BoE:

1) If one person gives up on the scenario, the whole thing tends to grind to a halt.

2) BoE wasn't modular enough. Towns could be imported between different copies of a scenario, sure, but outdoor sections, items, monsters and terrains couldn't.

Now, BoA goes some way toward solving problem 2, since all of those things except outdoor sections are now just scripts and so can easily be transferred from one person's working copy of the scenario to another's. The ease of one person handing most of his work over to the others upon giving up may also help with problem 1, but it still means that each member of the team has to potentially be ready to complete the scenario on their own if the others pull out. And if they're prepared to do that, then what's the point of collaborating?
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #11
I'm going to write Avernum 4, and Renar-Ihrno's blast at the end of Avernum 3 will have split Erika into fifty little Erikas. All of the NPCs will be Erika. And all of the PCs. And they will all be six inches tall.

My art budget can be cut to a fraction. Delicious.

Fit THAT into your continuity! Bwa hah hah! :)

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (inhales) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (inhales again) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (starts coughing, falls on the ground, dies)

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #13
It's the end of the world as we know it... it's the end of the world as... we... kn...ow ... ... *Xan no longer has the energy to sing...*

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
Collaborations work quite well. It is called being a beta tester. They write the scenario. You play it and make suggestions about plot, monsters, traps, and other things. :rolleyes: I am not a coder but I do like beta testing.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

I'm going to write Avernum 4, and Renar-Ihrno's blast at the end of Avernum 3 will have split Erika into fifty little Erikas. All of the NPCs will be Erika. And all of the PCs. And they will all be six inches tall.

My art budget can be cut to a fraction. Delicious.

Fit THAT into your continuity! Bwa hah hah! :)

- Jeff Vogel

Now I know exactly what to make my next scenario about. Heh heh heh...

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Apprentice
Member # 2948
Profile #16
Ah, my thread has been graced with the presence of the creator himself. I'm honored. And yes, i've pretty much figured out that on this board you must never meantion the words: 'my idea for a new episode is...' or anything containing the words 'collaborative' and DEFINITLY not 'erika' Ok, thanks for all the advice. I'll go it alone and assuming my brain doesn't explode learning the scripts, and i don't throw my computer out the window in frustration- i'll finish it and then everyone can complain i put erika in it. But yes, she's dead in it. Don't ask questions, just play the game. In whatever reality you prefer.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #17
Don't worry. You don't have to limit yourself to Avernum history. You just do as you like. That why custom scenarios are fascinating. :)

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (inhales) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (inhales again) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (starts coughing, falls on the ground, dies)
Waking me up at this our of the morning... :mad:

:P

--------------------

--------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #19
jaded i - Part of the problem was that Erika's Legacy was frustrating and not all that great.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #20
How's your scenario? Or still waiting for collaborators? :)

One good point about collaborations, is that the collaborators can incentivate (sp?) eachother. Also can compensate eachother's weaknesses. :)

--------------------

--------------
Apprentice
Member # 2948
Profile #21
I'm still working on it thanks for asking. I actually have someone who is willing to help me! So hopefully it will get done this century and you can see if you like it.

[ Saturday, July 24, 2004 12:25: Message edited by: Jaded_i ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

I'm still working on it thanks for asking. I actually have someone who is willing to help me! Question though- where do you download erika's legacy? Thought i'd give it a go and see what to avoid.
You can get it from Spiderweb here. :)

--------------------

--------------
Apprentice
Member # 2948
Profile #23
I just thought of something- its a boe not a boa scenerio right?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Yes. Seeing as how there are three third-party BoA scenarios (four if you count Undead Valley, as yet unreleased, or five if you count the utility HLPM), this should not come as a surprise.

EDIT: I can't wait to see where THIS is going.

[ Saturday, July 24, 2004 12:48: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Pages