Journal/Notes?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Journal/Notes?
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #0
Has anyone implemented a 'Journal' or a method to save game 'Notes', like in the regular Avernum series games?

mrb
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #1
I doubt it, it might be doable, but pretty useless, since it would only work in the specific scenario.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Um...

Are you talking about notes that the user inputs? If so, use Notepad or the Macintosh equivalent.

If you're talking about recording things said in-game, there's already a built-in option for that.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
I just turn on Notepad in the background and switch to it if I am so inclined as to take a note.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #4
Unless I'm mistaken, the built-in option doesn't work!

Yes, it's just for one scenario - and I do find it useful to record some conversations or events.

mrb
Apprentice
Member # 4432
Profile #5
Perhaps you are mistaken, because I just used the built-in journal to get past Eldiran's graveyard puzzle in Cave of No Return. I clicked "Record" whilst reading a book and lo it was recorded.

EDIT: A related question: is it possible to put things into a player's journal without having them click "Record"? For example, could I have a special encounter that said "This is fascinating; you jot it down in your journal", after which the relevant information would be written into their journal?

[ Thursday, June 24, 2004 16:04: Message edited by: Max Power ]

--------------------
He's the man
Whose name you'd love to touch,
But you musn't touuuuuuch...
Shock Trooper
Member # 1217
Profile Homepage #6
I'm not sure that would work... If you could find a way, it might, but I don't see it. mrb, the built in option works fine, but IIRC they get erased at the end of the scenario.

--------------------
ALBATROSS!!!
-John Cleese
!!!Long live Monty Python!!!

Not a Chance!

Long Live The Weather Balloons!
Apprentice
Member # 3517
Profile #7
Alright, I'll try it again - this might be because I have been playing some ported scenarios from BoE, and the whole experience has been interesting...albeit frustrating as well :-).

Thanks for your responses.

mrb
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #8
message_dialog() can't be recorded (I think.) You can only record one of those big text dialog thingys and probably what someone says, but I'm unsure.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Apprentice
Member # 4432
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by The Paladin Izzannor:

I'm not sure that would work... If you could find a way, it might, but I don't see it.
TPI, are you saying that it won't work, unless I can get it to work, in which case it will?

Ah.

--------------------
He's the man
Whose name you'd love to touch,
But you musn't touuuuuuch...