Article - The Moral of the Story

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Article - The Moral of the Story
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #25
So... the player is given a free moral choice. The rest of the series assumes you choose to help Marx. The sequel hinges on your party coming to help Marx - as a friend - in response to a letter from him. However, you insist that the scenario does not paint Marx as the 'good guy' and choosing to help him is not assumed to be the 'right choice'.

Correct?

[ Tuesday, May 18, 2004 04:38: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #26
Correct.

For instance, how do you know that Katothen is the good guy?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #27
Well, Creator, almost any sequel to a multi-path scenario has to assume that one (and only one) of the paths was followed.

On its own, Bandits may present an ethical dilemma - Thuryl, among others, sided with Pinochet, feeling that it was the right choice.

On the other hand, Bandits 2 does a fairly good job of telling you which choice was right.

*shrugs* It's an entirely different scenario, though.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #28
Clearly, B2 presents who's "right" in the traditional sense. I'd be able to argue a case for every single character in Echoes, but that's beside the point.
The point is that there's more ambiguity in Bandits seems to acknowledge.

EDIT:
quote:
In reference to Sauron, there are reasons behind his actions, if you really want to study the Silmarillion.
The reason behind his actions is the destruction of Postmodern thought.
http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html

[ Tuesday, May 18, 2004 15:03: Message edited by: Tentacle Monster Revolution ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4401
Profile #29
Hey, this is my first post so please forgive me if I get things wrong. My view of VoDT is that the message is far more complex than 'pollution is bad'. There is an official order from the Empire saying that all magical processes in the school must be ended. This includes the waste disposal system. There is not time to get rid of all the waste first, what with everyone needing to pack and try and finalise other experiments which were potentially dangerous. Heck, just look at all the loot that got left behind, that wouldn't have been left there if there was time to deal with everything before leaving!

My view of it is this: the Empire makes a declaration. When the Empire makes a declaration, you obey or you lose your life. The problem is that the Empire is a government organisation that has no understanding of the way a magic school works, or the potential dangers of closing it down without the time needed to deal with issues like waste. They just say the command, and chop the heads off those who haven't immediately obeyed.

In the school, there were those who understood the dangers. Some were frightened enough to be loyal to the empire, and others tried to deal with the issue of the waste. There was a battle, and those loyal to the empire won out. The others died, but not after trying to leave instructions so that others could fix the problem later.

To me, the issue isn't a poorly disguised 'pollution is bad', but a discussion as to who should be making decisions about dangerous situations. Is it wise to have a government making decisions on things they have no knowledge about? Is it wise to simply trust your government to do the right decision, despite your own knowledge of a subject telling you that they are making a foolish decision?

I hope someone else can see my point of view. :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
Look! A newbie!

I think this interpretation is a reasonable one. However, I don't know if the scenario says anywhere that the mages in the school didn't have time to start the cleaning mechanism. As far as I could tell, Jeff didn't want us to know why the mechanism wasn't started. When you pull the lever to clean things up, part of the dialog that comes up says, "For whatever reason, the waste destruction mechanisms weren't used when the School was closed" (town 11, state 27, emphasis added).

The explanation I came up with while playing was that they didn't have a good energy source. After all, you have to get that Crystal of Power from the vahnatai before you can activate the waste cleanup system. Still, I'm just speculating. I don't know that VoDT says anywhere what the real reason is that the mages didn't activate the controls.

I suppose I could quibble with one of the paragraphs in the article, because VoDT does kind of try to say that the experiments were important -- when you walk into the Control Chambers: "There can be no more doubt. The School of Magery was not just a teaching institution. Some remarkable research was going on here as well. The strange devices in front of you are evidence enough of that" (town 16, state 14) -- but insofar as it doesn't really detail any of them, the point is still pretty valid.

[ Tuesday, May 18, 2004 18:34: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #31
And since the original scenarios are supposed to show what's possible with the engine, Jeff may have just been giving new designers possible topics for scenarios. You could set one when the school is closed explaining what happened, for instance.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 4401
Profile #32
Good idea, SNM, my only problem is that if everyone has their own specific idea of what happened, then if you make a scenario that doesn't fit in with that idea, lots of people will be annoyed with your scenario to start with because it won't fit the 'facts', whereas if you start with a relatively neutral idea they may or may not like your setting, but it's more difficult to actually argue with its accuracy.

Although lots of people seem to like arguing about others' scenarios around here... maybe i'm just a chicken! :)

I guess the same kind of goes with putting a 'moral' in your story. If you pick a moral that isn't mainstream, for example a specific religious idea, then you must be prepared for backlash. So its up to you; are you doing this for other's entertainment, or to try and preach? Or are you just trying to put a moral in to make the story seem more real, as if it really matters what happens in the scenario?

I'm on the pc, so i haven't played any user scenarios for BoA yet, but I have read through the reviews of the two that are there. One of them got some scathing reviews because it was preachy. However, on the tables list it actually says a description something like 'when god declares war on the modern' (i think) so at least people were warned.

Hmm I don't really think I have an argument here, just a listing of ideas. If you have a well done moral to your story, it can add realism to it. If you have a preachy moral, it can bug people who are just here for entertainment. If you can handle the criticism, you can at least be happy that some might listen to your 'message'. But those who are annoyed may avoid any scenarios you make in the future.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by TiaraLi:

I'm on the pc, so i haven't played any user scenarios for BoA yet, but I have read through the reviews of the two that are there. One of them got some scathing reviews because it was preachy. However, on the tables list it actually says a description something like 'when god declares war on the modern' (i think) so at least people were warned.
That is... a sort of warning, but it is not the sort of warning you think it is. :P

(Since you're new, the above sentence probably needs further elaboration. TM, the designer of that particular scenario, is one of the more... unique and prolific scenario designers in the community. He's also a strident Communist and post-modernist.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #34
I disagree with the article in just about every way except of course the core spirit of it. Nobody wants to be preached to, and when things are too preachy people turn away from them.

Now I haven't played the Karl Marx scenarios, so I can't say for sure that it doesn't go too far. But you brought up VoTD as an example as well.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that VoTD's plot is sheer genius, but if it is your idea of preachy then your idea of preachy is too extreme.

Every story must be told in a moral context. You seem to forget that in your comments.. oh you pay lip service to it by saying that in theory it can add a lot of depth to a story if carefully done, but even this betrays the logical flaw of what you're saying.

I would rather a story with a little preachiness than no moral context at all.. adds depth? A story is barely two-dimensional without presenting some ideas as good and others as bad.

I'll agree that a story is even stronger yet when the morality of it becomes confused by the complexities of 'reality', but at the very core of a story there are heroes and villains.

But you seem to want all villains to be insane; murderers, rapists or otherwise so far outside of social norms that you don't feel guilty considering them the bad guy.

Well those romantic notions are fine for a childrens story, but if you want anyone over 12 to take something you create seriously, the villains need motives apart from being kill crazy warlords.

I agree with you that sometimes it's possible for an author's voice to become too apparent, but your expectations as described in this article are quite honestly ridiculous and anyone trying to follow the guidelines would almost certainly create a very very boring scenario.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #35
I think you misunderstood the article almost completely. If you read it in the context of the Creator's other articles, particularly Creating Compelling Characters and Good Bad Guys, then you'll notice some things in the article that show that he knows what you're saying already.

Speaking for myself, my issue with VoDT is not that it is preachy -- which would imply an excess of moralizing, where there isn't all that much -- but just that the moral for real life doesn't follow from the story. The moral in VoDT is that pollution is bad. Why? Because it is. So don't pollute. Why does pollution exist? How is this more than just a black and white issue? These are questions that VoDT does not even attempt to address. My point is that while VoDT is not overly preachy, the only moral that one can draw from it is a shallow one.

The issue here is that the characters lack motivations for their negative actions. Why do they leave behind the waste? We never know. If anything, that makes them closer to insane villains rather than to multi-dimensional people. It is not the most egregious example in Blades history, but it is one that most people are familiar with.
quote:
Originally written by Qalnor:
But you seem to want all villains to be insane; murderers, rapists or otherwise so far outside of social norms that you don't feel guilty considering them the bad guy.
Did you even READ this article? Commander Groul in Nephil's Gambit is THE BAD GUY (kind of). He is "your adversary." And the Creator cites him as a good example because he is NOT insane. He is very rational, perhaps too much so.
quote:
Originally written by Qalnor:
your expectations as described in this article are quite honestly ridiculous
Which expectations? These?
quote:
Originally written by the Creator:
If you're going to address an issue, you need to address it properly and fully.
I would hope not.

EDIT: I think what you're reacting to is the same thing that bothered me at first, namely that one paragraph (but NOT the whole thing) almost sounds as though he's saying to make everyone a good guy. But if you look closely, you'll notice he's saying to make everyone a good guy FROM THEIR OWN POINT OF VIEW. Virtually no one who ever lived has ever thought of himself as a bad guy who did bad things all the time because he was bad. For realism, none of your characters should, either.

[ Friday, May 21, 2004 09:27: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #36
Reread Kelandon's post if you want my response. He more or less said exactly what I would have if he hadn't.

Summed up, my point of view is:
1) Making a point can be a good thing.
2) Done poorly, it can be a bad thing.
3) Making a point does not work when the scenario doesn't explore the issue properly.
4) You can't explore an issue properly with a one-sided argument.

Do you disagree with any of this?

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #37
Creator, you should append the previous post to the bottom of your article as a summary.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #38
I agree with 1, 2 and 3 certainly.. I'm just not sure about 4.

A storyteller is not required to ignore his or her own beliefs in telling a story. Should they harp on them heavily and slap you in the face with them? No. But does every story with moral implications need to describe the opposing viewpoint with equal attention to detail?

I don't really think so, as long as you never get the sense that the storyteller is trying to prove something to you, he has no motive much less responsibility to be fair to all sides of an issue.

If someone wanted to make a scenario that was deeply exploring issues.. then I would agree with you, because if we're seriously exploring something and trying to come to some real and honest conclusions about something, it's not all about what moves the story anymore, it's about the underlying truths. And in the end when it's all fleshed out it can be a good story too, but it isn't the only way to make a good story.

I guess my reaction to your post was based on you pointing your finger at VODT as an example of what you considered preachy and over the top.

I don't specifically disagree with anything you said on the subject, really, it's just that your example of VODT to me indicates that your standard is much different than I think is reasonable.

And why? Because I don't think VODT seriously explores the issue of pollution. I don't think the scenario has an axe to grind with pollution, and I don't think it's trying to convince anyone that the analogue of magic, science, is some great evil in society because it pollutes up the world.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I really never felt like the scenario was trying to tell me ANYTHING about pollution. Was pollution a part of the story? Yes, but did it take on a character, did it have good or evil firmly attached to it? No I don't really think so.

To be honest, if I had one complaint about VODT, it would be the lack of a villain or foe. It was a mystery story and in the end the responsible parties were all long dead and their motives were sketchy at best.

So at the end of the day, I agree with your thesis, I just don't see how it applies to the example you listed.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #39
I don't think you need to give everything equal time, so long as you give all aspects some explanation and perspective. Things that are evil and wrong for the sake of being evil and wrong are not good storyline devices.

The point with VoDT is that if you consider pollution to be your villain, it is ultimately shallow and the moral gained from the story is as well. We can debate about any implied moral all we want. All that matters is that if one was attempted, then it failed. Future attempts that present morals should be able to look at VoDTs shortcomings and improve upon them.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #40
Using VoDT as an example in this article is a bad idea, in my opinion! I note two reproaches which are still due vis-a-vis to contradiction:
1. VoDT doesn’t treat pollution according to a contemporary angle.
2. One reproaches him a coherence problem of the story, and NOT a problem of treatment of morals. The reproach is this question, “Why the deposit of waste had not been destroyed?”.

1 - Concerning item 1, indeed, this type of pollution is out of our current main concern. The contemporary concern is to be unable to control a global degradation of planet.
However, the type of pollution, which VoDT shows, is a pollution that is much localised on the scale of the planet. Blow, in our eyes, this aspect can appear out of the contemporary subject.

For the defence of VoDT, there are three aspects:
* Initially, the scenario occurs 100 years later from what will be the cause of pollution. It’s not specified when really pollution starts, however, its devastator effect will take place in 100 years later, but the polluted area is very limited. It’s true that that can seem a minor problem of pollution in comparison with the contemporary problems in the center of the debates. However, pollution is a vast problem, and this type of pollution remains completely current. This scenario doesn’t cover a subject on the spot of the lights, but it points out an aspect of the pollution, which is forgotten a little. I think that it’s not justified to reproach it this choice.

* Obviously, when one speaks about warehouses of waste, one thinks of those of radioactive waste. In this direction, the scenario covers the subject rather well.

* Concerning the moral approach, the major design choice of the scenario, 100 years later, leaves little place to an effective debate. It’s difficult to present the reasons justifying the choices involving this catastrophic situation. That can even pose a serious problem of morals by giving the impression to justify murders of children. On this subject, I repeat myself, it is an interesting choice to present and develop two aspects of morals, the white and the black. Advising it systematically is an error. The trap is to justify the unjustifiable one, at least, for certain players. Moreover, for certain subjects, that can be very delicate and it is preferable to be a Master writer to do this type of treatment.

2 - Concerning item 2, this question has nothing to do with the morals of the scenario. The moral problem is linked to those who wanted to hide the potential problem. It’s not linked to know why those who feared the future danger did not act. This last point is purely a possible coherence problem of the story.

To answer this point I am not yet ready to make an interpretation. I played only once VoDT BoA. In this moment, I play VoDT BoE. I already noted differences, but I did not finish this version yet. It will be necessary then that I play VoDT BoA again because I am not certain to point out some of the indices well to me.

[ Sunday, May 23, 2004 15:42: Message edited by: Vent ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #41
Vent, a few things. To your first bullet point in point 1: I don't think anyone has made that criticism. No one has said that a scenario need cover only the most pressing and important aspect of a contemporary issue.

quote:
Obviously, when one speaks about warehouses of waste, one thinks of those of radioactive waste. In this direction, the scenario covers the subject rather well.
I disagree. As Thuryl pointed out, all they had to do to dispose of this pollution was to PUSH A BUTTON. And they didn't do it. Radioactive waste is nothing like this. There is no magic button to push to get rid of it.

I'm sorry, but the English in your third bullet point is so bad that I'm not sure that I understand you at all. Let me at least address a part of it.
quote:
the major design choice of the scenario, 100 years later, leaves little place to an effective debate. It’s difficult to present the reasons justifying the choices involving this catastrophic situation.
1. Again, I don't think the part about VoDT taking place one hundred years (or eighty, technically -- t13Libraries.txt, state 13, string 5) after the fact is the most important part to most people here.
2. It would be easy enough to leave behind a note that indicated the reasons for the waste not being cleaned up, or to provide some sort of evidence to allow the player to speculate, or whatever. JV could've done this if he wanted to. As I wrote above, I think he didn't want us to think about the reason the school wasn't shut down.
quote:
The moral problem is linked to those who wanted to hide the potential problem. It’s not linked to know why those who feared the future danger did not act.
We have only your say-so on that. Either way, why did people want to hide the potential problem? Or why was the waste not destroyed? Why did any of the events unfold the way that they did? None of the characters demonstrate motivations, one of the most important parts about the writing of any sort of story. That was my objection: whether the cover-up was central, as you say, or the pollution was central, as others have said, why did people behave the ways that they did? We never know.

The problem here is that the school has a magic button that will clean up all the waste, one that has no downsides (at least as far as we ever know). Real life pollution is not like this at all. It is about trade-offs.

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Vent:

* Obviously, when one speaks about warehouses of waste, one thinks of those of radioactive waste. In this direction, the scenario covers the subject rather well.

Except it does not at all. Radioactive waste is an extremely complicated issue. I understand the school was closed in a hurry, but why did they not take means of disposing of it? Especially since this meant really pushing a button.

Radioactive waste, on the other hand, is not as easy to deal with. However, there are other issues such as whether to store, reprocess, or even transmute the stuff. If stored, then the question of how much leakage is too much and how long does it need to be stored before it is safe. Time is not such a pressing concern on this issue. If the moral of the story is not to store radioactive waste in a repository such as Yucca Mountain, then the scenario really failed to present a side. If the moral was not to leave behind messes hastily, then I suppose. However, neither were clear in the scenario.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #43
I wonder if Jeff made this scenario from the perspective of an angry mother?

"Pick up your messes, young man, or hundreds of people will die, and you will go down as a murderer, and an awful person in general! Now don't you give me that look, young man..."

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #45
1 - About the closing of the school 100 years ago
The dragon mentions that, some other NPC too, like Axel that mentions a century ago. Why it's in fact 80 years? Perhaps sealing date? There are evidence that the two dates couldn't be the same like cobold invading the school and later they are closed in by mages.

2 - About the first effects
They apeared 6 years ago (not six month, sorry for this error).

3 - The push button
quote:
all they had to do to dispose of this pollution was to PUSH A BUTTON. And they didn't do it.
That's not a moral problem not well managed in the scenario.

Forget one second any morale subject. Look at this fact, it is "just" a possible coherence problem of the story.

In fact I'm not sure it's even a coherence problem. Afterall did the mage mastered teleportation? Did they had time to set up a teleport portal? I don't think so and then pushing the button was doing a suicide. That's a good reason to not push the button when the problems aren't here and are in the long term.

Anyway, instead of "coherence problem", apply any that you understand:
- "logic problem".
- "realism problem"

It's not because this scenario is quoted in an article about morale that a coherence problem is a problem with its management of the morale.

Yes there's a morale problem despite this possible coherence problem.

I won't quote you any script line because I curently play the BoE version (and write notes since this replay) and still get a lot of fun that I don't want spoil.

Concerning my first approximate interpretation, it is close to what has explained TiaraLi but with certain differences that I must check.

The TiaraLi version isn't an hypothesis for a major part. Apart if you want consider that the various notes found are lying but that makes no sense.

There are evidences that:
- There are three leaders of the school.
- Vannia want to hide to the Empire any possible problems, particularly the future pollution problem.
- Vannia is agree to close, to leave and to seal up the school.
- The two other (Palhatis and Pergaltho ie P&P) are against her.
- P&P don't want to leave and close the school because of what they let behind which is a future danger.
- P&P want warn the emperor about that problem but they didn't succeed because of Vannia strategy.
- P&P take care to prepare a solution in order to solve the problem once the disaster will have started.
- They obviously can't push the button now. About that, I have a sample explanation, they don't master teleporting so doing it would be doing a suicide. A good reason to not doing it when the problems aren't here and are in the long term.
- P&P and Vannia are struggling for getting the favor of the emperor. Vannia want the power for her only and want take the opportunity to make the two other abdicate all responsibility.
- Obviously Vannia saw an opportunity to get the power for her only, through this (future) pollution problem and the closing of the school.

For more, more details like what happened exactely to P&P, as I explained, I need to play BoE version and BoA version.

So with Vannia we have a typical struggle for the power, personnal ambition. It is also a typical kind of attitude of some persons in charge. Under their responsibility, there is no problem, never.

Unlike TiaraLi, I don’t see there, a questioning of the responsibility for governments for this type of problems.

I see there more the description of the risk of a lost of responsibility for causes for which the effects are dubious and in the long term.

In this kind of case, the personal ambitions take the top quickly. It’s more a questioning of the companies whose first objective is the interest, of the people whom the ambition can quickly make them forget possible long-term consequences.

This kind of attitudes can go up to hide the facts with more or less sincere justifications: It’s not certain, it’s in the very long term, and by then, the problem will be regulated.

All of that is a morale problem.

If you want we speak about morale I can push even further. One morale of the scenario is that for dubious possible long term problems, we can't be confident in capitalism mechanism. We can't be confident in companies and personnal ambitions in order to manage long-term problems.

If they can hide possible long-term problems and win more money, someone will do it. That's why external controls and rules are necessessary.

Furthermore, to keep working the capitalism mechanism, many of those sort of agreement need a worldwide treaty. What to think about a country that refuses to sign some when it has nothing better to propose?

There are worse, some other countries had already decided to sign but they get pressured to make them change their decision and some finally didn't sign.

4 - 100 years later
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Again, I don't think the part about VoDT taking place one hundred years after the fact is the most important part to most people here.

Then I doubt those people succeed to enjoy this scenario:
- What makes special this scenario is exactely that.
- What makes the more subtil fun of the scenario is exactely that.
- Searching to find all clues, notes and evidences is a big un of this scenario including from a replay point of view.

I think BoA version is a bit improved on that part.

5 - About link with nuclear waste and warehouse (submarin or not)
I agree that that doesn't fit well. But the the point of comparison isn't a current science problem, as you seem to suggest (I don't see any morale problem here).

It's about leak that could appear 100 years later, and cause a pollution in a limited area. Sure there won't be any push buttons. :)

[ Sunday, May 23, 2004 20:22: Message edited by: Vent ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #46
I shouldn't say anything but, a few definitions:

morale - The state of the spirits of a person or group as exhibited by confidence, cheerfulness, discipline, and willingness to perform assigned tasks.

moral - Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character.

:)

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Why it's in fact 80 years?
Because of the line cited above, specifically the fifth string in the dialog box from state 13 in the text file t13Libraries.txt -- only applicable in the BoA version, because the BoE version gives different dates. I think (although I haven't checked, so correct me if I'm wrong) that the others say only "about a century" or something along those lines.

quote:
Vannia want to hide to the Empire any possible problems, particularly the future pollution problem
But why? The issue is that she doesn't have any motivation not to tell the Empire about possible problems, at least not any given in the games. And the reason that her motivation is important is this: without additional motivations, Vannia appears to choose not to clean up the pollution because she is in favor of pollution. No major point of view in real life has been pro-pollution; they've been pro-business and willing to allow some pollution in order to get their business done, or something like that. No sane person has ever viewed pollution as a positive good, but if Vannia gets nothing out of the cover-up except pollution, then she must view pollution as exactly that: a positive good.

That means that we see two views represented: anti-pollution and pro-pollution. The choice is obvious. But real life pollution isn't this simple, pro-pollution and anti-pollution. One can be anti-pollution but pro-business, and then that person has to make the difficult decision of which is more important. Any decision has its drawbacks. Since VoDT simplifies the issue beyond any reasonable level, it does not represent the issue of pollution faithfully or accurately.

It is NOT a continuity issue. It is critical to the moral of the story. Since VoDT does not explain the reason that the pollution was not cleaned up, it treats the pollution issue superficially.

quote:
If they can hide possible long-term problems and win more money, someone will do it.
But you're assuming that they got something out of the cover-up, which VoDT never says.

quote:
The TiaraLi version isn't an hypothesis for a major part.
Except for the part that I questioned, which is that time was the biggest deciding factor in why the waste mechanisms weren't activated. All I said was that we don't know why the waste mechanisms weren't activated, which is, as above, critical to the moral of the scen.

quote:
Furthermore, to keep working the capitalism mechanism, many of those sort of agreement need a worldwide treaty.
Now you're inserting your own views into the scenario. VoDT never mentions anything even remotely close to this. It's a related issue, but VoDT does not cover it at all.

About 4: I should've said, "I don't think that's the most important part of what we're discussing here, in that no one has mentioned it yet (other than you)." It is an interesting narrative technique. It just doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about.

EDIT: Wow, I just read point 5, added while I was writing this. Vent: if this
quote:
But the the point of comparison isn't a current science problem, as you seem to suggest (I don't see any morale problem here). It's about leak that could appear 100 years later, and cause a pollution in a limited area.
were true, then let's explore what VoDT has to say about radioactive waste.

It says that you shouldn't store radioactive waste in containers that could break in 100 years, because that could cause death in a nearby environment. What should you do instead? Press a button that magically disposes of it.

Sadly, real life radioactivity has no such button.

VoDT does not reflect the issue of radioactive waste at all. The fact that the analogy breaks down with even a superficial analysis indicates the faultiness of the analogy between VoDT's pollution and nuclear waste.

[ Sunday, May 23, 2004 20:42: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #48
1 - I*, thanks for the precision, I always wanted to write moral. :)

2 - Kelandon, so my explanation about the non use of the push button is ok? In fact you didn't read it, I added it in an edit.

I mention it again:

Did the mage mastered teleportation? Did they had time to set up a teleport portal? I don't think so and then pushing the button was doing a suicide. That's a good reason to not push the button when the problems aren't here and are in the long term.

3 - About the 100 years
I quote a dragon phrase:
"For over 100 years she waits after they leave". Over 100 years so I don't see how it could be 80 years appart if it's another date, the sealing date.

4 - About the importance of 100 years later quoted by nobody
Wrong at least once, read coreyh post.

5 - Why Vannia act like that?
I already explained, an oportunity to get the power for her alone and to discard the two other mages. Some quotes from the beginning of my play of the BoE version:

Vinnia plans something I dunno what, she means us no good. Desperate time my friend, I have done my best in master control to make sure disaster can avoided. We ca only hope someone makes it down here, before disaster strikes.

At this point Palathis understand nothing of Vinnia plans.

Quote also, that "makes it down here" seems to be a problem.

Later:
Curse that Vinnia! It is bad enough that we are being shut down. Must she also force us to abdicate all responsibility?

For me it's clear that vinnia wants eject the two other mages. It isn't for you?

So more:
It is clear that she listen to the Empire ad no one else. She works against us as well. I know that she speaks against me. I can hear now. 'Palathis schemes against us. Palathis is a traitor. Palathis spread rumors."

Particularely obvious, the reason, as I already wrote, just to eject two concurents and get more power.

A last quote:
I don't know what she plans against me, but my speaking our against the evecuation and what we're leaving behind have only made me enemies. I wonder what is to become of me."

Oops, all seems going wrong.

About links with nuclear waste problem, I won't discuss. I strongly doubt that all points need to be exactely the same. Anyway, You can't predict what will happen in 100 years. :D
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #49
Vent, you're not going to understand me regardless of what I say, so I'm not going to try anymore.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #50
Well what to answer to that? I gave you plenty quotes of BoE, did I really didn't understand them? I don't think so, I could be wrong. I'll read again your previous post but I doubt I didn't undertood it.

Pages