Alternate transportation?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Alternate transportation?
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #0
I'd like to create an alternate means of transpo besides horses and boats and it appears that this can't be done with the basic scripting tools. Do I have to program in c into the source, or is there another option? (I've hit a brick wall - ouch.)

--------------------
Guyute was the ugly pig who walked on me and danced a jig that he had learned when he was six - then stopped and did some other tricks. Like pulling weapons from his coat and holding them against my throat. He lectured me in language strange - then scampered quickly out of range.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Editing the source won't do it; remember, BoA itself isn't open source, so there's no point letting the editor make things that the game can't recognise.

You might be able to fake a new means of transportation in interesting ways using scripting, but there's no easy way to do it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #2
About the only way I can think to do it that would even come close to being easy is to replace the graphic for either horses or boats... but then you have an unsupported hack with the same old transportation that just has a different picture pasted on it. :)

You could probably "fake" it fairly easily by asking the player for a destination, putting up a dialog describing the trip, and then just moving the party to the new town. You'd essentially have no outdoors whatsoever, though, that way (assuming players can use your transportation anytime they please).

Off the top of my head, I really can't think of a good way to fake a full-fledged transportation mode in BoA. I'll give it some more thought, though...

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #3
I considered replacing the graphic - but that's not gonna do it. I wanted different terrain access permissions; and I think "faking it" would kind of take away from the experience quite a bit. Oh well... I may have to scrap the idea!

--------------------
Guyute was the ugly pig who walked on me and danced a jig that he had learned when he was six - then stopped and did some other tricks. Like pulling weapons from his coat and holding them against my throat. He lectured me in language strange - then scampered quickly out of range.
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #4
BTW, what kind of transportation is it? I assume flying of some sort, otherwise replacing the graphics would work.
Warrior
Member # 1451
Profile Homepage #5
using scripts and some small town you could make busses. y'know, go for the bus stop [script here asks wheter to get on] and ride [script takes you to a very small town that looks like a bus] to the next town [after a predetermined amount of waits or moves the script tells you you can get off] and get of [walk in the exit of the bus].
neat, huh? :D

typo

[ Friday, April 16, 2004 10:03: Message edited by: Abu Dhabi ]

--------------------
I am pleased to make contact with your entities.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #6
Or you could get the party onto a bus graphic, and create a cutscene of the bus moving across town.
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #7
you could stick a horse and a carriage thingy together (or a lizard if youre in avernum) and "fake" a carriage ride
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #8
Looking at these ideas, I came up with a method for making a simple means of transportation:

begintownscript;

variables;
short cur_x,cur_y,old_x,old_y;
short on_board = FALSE;
body;

beginstate INIT_STATE;
break;

beginstate EXIT_STATE;
break;

beginstate START_STATE;
cur_x = char_loc_x(0);
cur_y = char_loc_y(0);
if ((get_terrain(cur_x,cur_y) != 0) && (on_board == TRUE)) {
on_board = FALSE;
set_state_continue(10); }
if (on_board == TRUE) {
if ((old_x != cur_x) || (old_y != cur_y)) {

set_terrain(cur_x,cur_y,421); }
set_terrain(old_x,old_y,0);
else
on_board = FALSE;
set_state_continue(10);
}
if (get_terrain(cur_x,cur_y) == 421) {
on_board = true;
set_state_continue(10); }
break;

beginstate 10;
old_x = cur_x;
old_y = cur_y;
break;
I made 421 a custom terrain, with just the basic info: a name and its own icon. What the script does is wait for you to step on a square which you have given that terrain, and then redraws that terrain under you as you walk around. If you wait, it takes you off.

The script is very basic. It doesn't have the town remember where you leave the terrain, for example (doable with stuff done flags), and you probably won't be able to walk near some walls. Also, weird stuff happens if you enter a boat or get on a horse, and I think it only really works with a singleton.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #9
After studying your code (wz. arsics), I think it's gonna work! I've created a mine car and tracks - stretching it a bit I guess, since those things weren't around at the time.
I want the party to be able to ride in it to locations around the mine. The tracks are a floor type, so I guess I could only allow the moving terrain (mine car) to be drawn on that specific floor type.
I'll try it out. Thanks everybody for their input!

[ Thursday, April 22, 2004 18:31: Message edited by: philstrek ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #10
***Update***

Tried the above script and only had to change one part to get it to run: in the variables, substitute "int" for "short" in both cases.

It runs a little jerky in gameplay - character moves and mine car graphic follows it a fraction of a second later. Works okay in the short section that I'm using it in though.
- It leads into a cut scene whereupon I can more easily manipulate the graphics!

--------------------