Which armour provides more protection?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Which armour provides more protection?
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #0
I'm playing on Torment, btw:

Steel Plate Mail: Prevents 1-40 + 2 damage. 25% attack penalty.

Radiant Robe: Prevents 1-8 damage. 30% Protection from Melee Damage. 20% resistance to acid and magic damage.

At first I thought that the steel plate mail would be superior, but the radiant robe has 30% protection from melee damage, which is huge (that's about 1/3 guaranteed reduction). Added to which, you don't get a reduction to attack penalty, and it's one seventh the weight of plate mail.

--------------------
"I am Barzhal, and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the products of his own essence?

No, says the servile in Medab. It belongs to the oppressed.
No, says the Shaper in Terrestia. It belongs to the Shaper Council.
No, says the Trakovite in hiding. It belongs to no-one.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose… Ascension."
Posts: 136 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #1
Wow, the robe is significantly better at reducing damage than the plate mail, by an average of 20 points. I just tested it against some guards.

--------------------
"I am Barzhal, and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the products of his own essence?

No, says the servile in Medab. It belongs to the oppressed.
No, says the Shaper in Terrestia. It belongs to the Shaper Council.
No, says the Trakovite in hiding. It belongs to no-one.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose… Ascension."
Posts: 136 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #2
The way the game is scripted, that 30% doesn't mean that 30% of the damage is blocked, rather that it has a 30% chance of blocking individual points of damage.

I'm sure Pachtar's Plate works much more effectively than the Radiant Robe, but you can't get that until later in the game. (well, usually)

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #3
I'd go with the robe, since I'm heavy into spellcasting, so anything that gives an attack penalty is a big no-no for me.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Warrior
Member # 6801
Profile #4
If I remember well, Pachtar's plate give also +1 AP (and maybe other bonuses) so it may be better than the robe.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #5
Pachtar's Plate:
-70 pounds
-Blocks 1-60 + 7 points of damage
-Value is 20,000 coins
-35% attack penalty (encumbrance)
- +1 action points
-20% resist elements and magic.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Warrior
Member # 7125
Profile #6
I'm one of the people that after beating the game numerous times, I feel it necessary to go into the Character Editor, click on Add Armor and use Blessed Plate-mail. Well you could use Blessed everything but since you asked just about armor.

--------------------
I am a related to a witch who was burned in the Salem Witch Trials. I study magic,witchcraft and other paranormal stuff. I love BOA and Avernum 3, Sims 2 and Nancy Drew! Feel free to rate my karma.
Apprentice
Member # 14522
Profile #7
the robes are really made for spell casters, therefore its not meant to reduce damage but instead evade it. plates are better for warriors and people with high def and dex. :D

--------------------
Where there is light, there is Dark!

*Supporter for remake of Avernum 4 and 5 in Older Avernum graphics!