Demons in A1...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Demons in A1...
Apprentice
Member # 8436
Profile #0
Just wondering... Most of my characters at this point are lvl 10-11. I don't have L3 Dispel spirit level. Despite this, I find that the demons in Nepharim and Nephillim fort to be impossible to beat. Am I taking them on too early or am I missing something fairly obvious?

I haste and bless all my characters before the fight, call beasts, etc.... but to no avail.

Any suggestions?
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #1
You are taking them on fairly early, and getting up to level 15 or so may help. However, if you don't mind a cheesy tactic, and have bind foe level 1, use your mage to cast bind foe on the demon every turn to web it. Use your other characters to hit it till it dies. I know this tactic works in Avernum 2, but it should also work in Avernum 1.

Also, having the first attack will make a world of difference. While out of their view, enter combat mode (after hasting and blessing), then rush them.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 8436
Profile #2
Thank you. It does seem weird though considering that these two areas are supposed to be accomplish fairly early in the game.

I have decided to hold off on the three sets of demons until I have reached a sufficient level. Where should I head to next?

Anyhow, thanks for the speedy response.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #3
Hi there. Start fighting the sliths. They're the next level up from the nephilim. Alternatively, try your hand at the Mertis undead, or work your way through the honeycomb for a bit.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Demons get a lot tougher later on in the game. You still haven't faced the mung demons that dumbfound and drain spell energy from spellcasters.

The game is meant for you to go south into the Honeycomb and work your way west into the Great Cave. Buying a boat is a great investment since there are several nice places that can only reached that way. Also you can't get attacked on a boat when you want to rest up and reach safety.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #5
A two word phrase taken from Randomizer's post
quote:
mung demons
The demon fort in southern Avernum is one of the hardest dungeons I've ever encountered in a SW game, including the fact that I played A1 without an archer.

[ Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:20: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
WWJD?
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #6
Archer? What's that? ;)

Being a pure mage/priest guy myself, I can appreciate how tough that particular dungeon can be--all thanks to the mung demons. Now excuse me while I take a large swig from my jug of Potion of Clarity, and head back into the fray.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
The first time I played through that fort I didn't have potions of clarity. I fought my way out using two fighters and items. The spellcasters were almost useless. I had to hunt down a healer since I didn't want to wait the days for dumbfounding to wear off.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #8
Been there, done that. But I can take it a step further: I had absolutely no cash at the time, and had to steal to raise the necessary funds. Then my best priest, now freed from dumbfounding, healed the rest.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.