Rentar-Ihrno

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Rentar-Ihrno
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
We don't know Kelner is a powerful wizard, but we also don't know that he isn't. He's clearly not terribly ambitious, but there could be an archmage lurking under the paperwork. Avernum needs a few who aren't magically maintained semi-senile corpses.

—Alorael, who noticed that Rone has actually been improving over the course of the series. In A1 he was barely functional. In A2 he was at least clearly conscious. In A4 he's literally got a new lease on life and he makes sense for the first time in decades.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #26
Prazac has a pretty powerful wizard, the one that teleports you out of Rentar's fort when you've defeated her.

--------------------
WWJD?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
You can't always count on end-of-game deus ex machina wizardry, though.

—Alorael, who is always confused by teleportation in Avernum. Sometimes it seems trivial. Sometimes nobody can teleport out of Avernum without going to inordinate lengths to collect gadgets and locations and such. Is there an anti-teleportation barrier twenty feet below sea level?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #28
There are various places where they refer to the power comsumption needed to transport large quantities of matter through the planet. For a small party of adventurers they don't need as much. Most of the time you are using the same teleporter so its designed for larger loads.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #29
Sorry about the imprecison i am talking about A3.
Is there a way to make that alien die? so i can finish the game?

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Fifteen Second Delay:

You can't always count on end-of-game deus ex machina wizardry, though.

—Alorael, who is always confused by teleportation in Avernum. Sometimes it seems trivial. Sometimes nobody can teleport out of Avernum without going to inordinate lengths to collect gadgets and locations and such. Is there an anti-teleportation barrier twenty feet below sea level?

I would imagine that you always need special gadgets. In the early days of Exile, there just weren't any. Later, they were around and just not mentioned.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

You're not supposed to kill Rentar, and gain nothing from doing so. If you've set all ten beams already, just go to the control panel.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

Sometimes it seems trivial. Sometimes nobody can teleport out of Avernum without going to inordinate lengths to collect gadgets and locations and such.
I suspect this is why the Erika curse was nessesary. She was probably the only mage in Avernum with the power to just teleport herself out. As for the Exile III ending teleportation, Rentar's fortress, if you think about it, probably wasn't all that far from Blackcrag at all, it may have been right under it. Distance surely factors into how tough the teleportation is.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #33
That said, the ease with which Ernest, working by himself, can teleport people across half a continent makes you wonder just how deep Exile has to be in order to be unreachable by such means.

Maybe teleporting "through" solid rock is harder, though I'm not sure how much "through" applies to teleportation anyway.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #34
Randomly teleporting and using a portal are two different things. Portals seem to require less power to make than teleporting yourself without one. And yeah, what you're teleporting through probably factors in, especially if you want to make a scientific case for teleportation.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
The end of A3 is easy. Rentar's keep is right under Blackcrag and when she blasts a hole to the surface to expose Erika to sunlight the unknown mage in Prazac's employ doesn't even have to do anything fancy. He's got a perfectly good line of sight to the heroic quartet that needs teleportation and their destination in the throneroom!

—Alorael, who will conveniently ignore the fact that the same teleportation occurs if you don't have Erika's help and there is therefore no such hole to the surface. If you really want to find flaws in his brilliant hypothesis you'll have to look elsewhere.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

You're not supposed to kill Rentar, and gain nothing from doing so. If you've set all ten beams already, just go to the control panel.

This was a lot more obvious in Exile 3. There was a big inviting white dot (which you knew always signified something) attracting you over there. Whereas in Avernum 3 there's just an indistinct blue blog with white splodges, which could easily be overlooked.

Edit: Well I meant blob but I'm going to leave the typo as is for comedy value. Rentar's blog, just imagine it! "Decided to get revenge today (again). Think I'll set loose a plague of monsters. It didn't work last time, but maybe if I use shades..."

[ Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:08: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4

Pages