A1 keyboard movement (Windows)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A1 keyboard movement (Windows)
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #0
Apologies if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I've just downloaded the Windows A1 demo to mess around with at work. I played the whole game a few years ago on my mac at home. On the mac I move around with the arrow keys and that works fine, but in the version I've just downloaded the arrow keys make me move diagonally, ie the 'up' key sends me northwest instead of north, which is really annoying. If I use the number pad with numlock on then 7, 9, 1 and 3 will send me W, N, E and S respectively, but that's quite hard to use.

The mouse is no good either as one click moves me two spaces.

Is there any way I can change the directions of the arrow keys?

Edit: Also, there's some very weird stuff going on when I look in a character's inventory. I try to 'pick up' something in the inventory by left-clicking on it, but it just flashes and stays there. Then for some reason it works with the right mouse button. ???

[ Wednesday, March 01, 2006 23:45: Message edited by: Thin Air ]

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #1
Nope. The keys cannot be changed. Setting the speed of the game to a lower speed improves the mouse movement, although with a fast computer, you still occasionally need to yuse the keyboard to move one space when necessary. For the most part, howeve, moving two spaces with a mouse click isn't a huge issue.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

For the most part, however, moving two spaces with a mouse click isn't a huge issue.
It is when you're trying to walk through a door, not step on a swamp square, look at something, and especially when counting your moves and trying to hit the right thing in combat.

Is this just some weird way in which the Windows and Mac versions differ then? Something which untechnological people like myself don't understand.

Anyway, as predicted, I'm getting used to it now. Hey ho!

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Thin Air:

The mouse is no good either as one click moves me two spaces.
I had that problem while playing the A1 demo some time ago. I think I also have that problem with Nethergate. If you click really quickly, you should only be moved one space. And if this is really annoying, I'm afraid you'll have to use the numpad.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
It's especially annoying when you are trying to navigate through pools of lava or similar things. In A2 (where I had the same problem), the Forid test (the one with the stone block) was hell.

I didn't know you could avoid it by using the keyboard, though... I have to try that.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Left Outer Join:

It's especially annoying when you are trying to navigate through pools of lava or similar things. In A2 (where I had the same problem), the Forid test (the one with the stone block) was hell.

I didn't know you could avoid it by using the keyboard, though... I have to try that.

Interestingly, I can't remember having that problem in A2. And since the Test of Patience can be hell even if you don't have any mouse/keyboard problems, I'm not sure I want to imagine what it must have been like for you. ;)
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #6
In A1 and Nethergate, left click moves two spaces, right click moves one space.

In the other games, left click moves one space and right click is used for looking.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
I can't believe I didn't know that. I guess I'm just so used to right-clicking to look, that I never associated it with something else.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.