Is there a way to keep playing after winning A3?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Is there a way to keep playing after winning A3?
Apprentice
Member # 6728
Profile #0
I love how you can keep playing after finishing all 3 main quests in A2, and have always wished I could do the same in A3. Is this possible?

--------------------
"From now on you will call me Sid, Lord of the Flame!"
"Hey, Lord of the Flame . . . your tails on fire."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Nope. Of course, you can always walk back out of the final dungeon to finish any sidequests you missed.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I've never really understood this question. In A1 and A2, you can complete one of the three major quests and then keep playing. In A3, you can't, but any reasonable person will have a saved game just before the last fight. How different is it, really?

—Alorael, who has never had a large urge to keep playing after completing an Avernum. The quests are all done and the dialogue doesn't really change.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
By the way, asking the same question twice is generally not encouraged.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
I thought the question sounded familiar.

The only point in continuing to play is to finish any side quests or find any final loot. It's not really important, because a meticulous person will have done so already. Just the fact that it is possible is empowering for some people though. Sometimes my party wanders for days in Avernum 2 because they don't want to start all over at the beginning again.

Dikiyoba notices that Kelandon is living up to his custom title today...
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

The only point in continuing to play is to finish any side quests or find any final loot.
The major artifact quests of A3 leap to mind...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
If you know you have incomplete quests, why press on to the end?

If you don't know of any incomplete quests, why would you play past the end?

—Alorael, who can barely bare to step into a new outdoor section if there's any unexplored blue left.
Apprentice
Member # 6728
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

By the way, asking the same question twice is generally not encouraged.
My bad, guess I forgot I posted the first one :\

--------------------
"From now on you will call me Sid, Lord of the Flame!"
"Hey, Lord of the Flame . . . your tails on fire."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Eldarion: No worries. It was just for clarification.

Alorael: With A3, I did press on to the end before I finished some quests, because some of the quests were obscure — I knew there was a wandering sage, but I didn't know where he was, and I knew that I was supposed to find some metal (or something), but I didn't know where — so I did go back to an old save and finish those quests after I beat the game.

[ Thursday, February 09, 2006 20:41: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

—Alorael, who can barely bare to step into a new outdoor section if there's any unexplored blue left.
FYT

I couldn't resist simply because I don't think I've seen an error in any of Alorael's posts before.

[ Friday, February 10, 2006 10:03: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Please stop mis-using "Fixed Your Typo."

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
The usual misuse of FYT involves actually fixing typos. In this case you just quoted me with emphasis added. Not that I'm not grateful for the correction as I slip into senectitude, but what if I can bearly figure out what the correct word is?

—Alorael, who is embarrassed to have his flaws beared before the hole of Spiderweb. (Incidentally, hole seems like a surprisingly apt descriptor for Spiderweb.)
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
Could someone please tell me how exactly FYT should be used? An example would be nice, so I don't make the same mistake twice.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Could someone please tell me how exactly FYT should be used? An example would be nice, even though I'll just make the same mistake again.
FYT :P

(Sorry, but you did ask for an example. Though in a less critical sense, FYT would be applicable to this:)

quote:
Originally written by Parapsychosis:

—Alorael, who can barely bear to step into a new outdoor section if there's any unexplored blue left.

However, this particular usage doesn't really add anything to the conversation, so it just isn't used that often. TM uses the "rearrange people's words" technique quite often, if you need more examples.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
The second is actually a bad example. FYT should never be used to fix typos. It should be used for the sole purpose of putting words in another's mouth, usually for comical effect and mockery.

—Alorael, who can summarize most of TM's posts with a single sentence: "I fixed your mother's typos."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
I think the cabal has not yet decided whether actually fixing someone else's typo is a proper use of FYT. Some have argued that it is, and some have argued that it is not.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #16
I'm glad Kelandon explained that FYT=fixed your typo. I have been going around for years, actually thinking it meant something else... rather more abusive.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4