A3 singleton questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A3 singleton questions
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #0
I'm replaying avernum 3 as a singleton nephil, divinely touched and fast on feet. On normal difficulty. I'm ignoring mage spells, potion making and nature lore. I'm in the filth factory now, killing with my 4-20 damage +6 luck knife and smite. No huge problem so far except that time in upper avernum a lone enemy mage slept me each turn untill I killed the task 5 minutes later.

Does the nephil have useful invisible bonuses to both bow and dex?

The once-a-day ability from divinely touched is awsome in hard fights, and I'm guessing the other bonuses help too but I have no idea how much. The extra attack I get from fast on feet's +1 AP every other round rocks.

Start seems almost easier than with a full team, might be because I used all the 65 bonus points on one char.

At lvl 22, after joining the anama, I have:
str/dex/int/end: 8/6/6/6
weapons 0
hardiness 8
def 3
ass 1
priest spell 14
arcane lore 9
tool use 11
luck 2

Is more priest skill usefull for a singleton? Only 16 for divine retribution, but the lvl 3 book requires 30 rune reading - I have 19. 46 points for 18 priest skill, then 13 for +3 ARC, then 48 for +6 int - would give me the 30 I need. 107 points - I have no idea how many levels that would require. Does divinely touched or +int from items help with Rune reading?

Do I need rune reading for cloud of blades(3)?

How much tool use and luck is usefull? Will I hit the damage cap without any melee skill?

Am I correct in thinking 2x bless is better than one? Is 5x bless even better?

Anything usefull in the chests in SE part of upper and lower Filth factory that requires move mountains(3)? Things I cant get to is like an itch I cant scratch. The stone circles requires flight, and the library of gale is far far away. Now that I found a crystal of recall I could take a short trip to gale though with the teleportation mage.
Edit: new save then cheat to get Move mountains(3) reveals that the total amount of stuff to be had there is potion of healing, curing, energy. wand of firebolts. gold ring.

[ Wednesday, January 25, 2006 13:47: Message edited by: Mivayan ]
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #1
Good luck! I played A3 as a doubly-cursed singleton once long ago, and found it enjoyable.

In A2, the nephil definitely has invisble bonuses to bows and dexterity. As a result, they also have bonuses to tool use.

You will eventually find items that provide bonuses to your rune reading abilities, like the knowledge charm (+5?). If you add a few points to vahnatai lore, you may further augment your rune reading (or maybe that's item lore?), so that's something to think about.

Both +int bonuses do affect rune reading, though the bonus doesn't show up on the character page.

Tool use is going to be necessary since you don't have unlock. I would suppose you should get ~15-20 points in tool use to make sure you can get past most doors. Also, you probably shouldn't neglect potion-making, as you can really help yourself out with a few knowledge brews, after a modest investment in skill points. Up to you, though, as the game will be more difficult (but maybe more fun) without the knowledge brew recipe.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #2
Thanks for the advice.
Doublecursed? jeez. Did you reach astronomical levels? I think you're right about vahnatai lore adding to rune reading, it exactly explains the difference.

Update:
Fighting trologdytes at l35 with divine fire(3) and 32 total PRI+INT+Magery was fun. Not fair, but fun. I get twice as many targets as with divine retribution, but my manual says it should be one less.

Lvl 49, have explored a lot, will take on the golems now. Bought 8 knowledge brews at both the anama-only salesmen in Lorelei and the anama place west of the trolog palace. Cost 1200 each. Dunno if fake rings would work too to buy them. I raised priest to 18, int to 10 so i've got all spells except cloud of blades.

16 tool use, for hard doors I use magic lockpicks and the +4 gloves.

I have the recipe, but dont even have the herbs for the 14 potions I need to break even. So
I will skip the tedium of collecting herbs. I like your argument about more fun without it.

The few alien beasts I fought were not as hard as golems. But will be managable with some resistance items. Been taking some advice from a faq to get all the stuff without searching every place several times.

Has anyone figured out a good reason for the cap of 15000 gold?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
Gold is heavy? :P

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #4
Not bad, though do you wonder why one person can carry as much gold as four?

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
And why the party can carry the same amount regardless of whether they're naked or loaded down with several suits of chain mail in their packs?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
It must be that the money purse is only carried by one character and it isn't big enough to hold more than 15,000 coins. Good thing there aren't any thieves or pickpockets (besides your party if you so desire) in the game.

Dikiyoba.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
I don't really think it's considered pickpocketing if you need to kill the person first.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
The party's thievery is too brazen to be pickpocketing. Even when it doesn't involve murder it's just a matter of picking locks or, on occasion, beating down a door, closing it again, and grabbing everything not nailed down.

—Alorael, who took to heart the description from Exile 1. Gold isn't gold, it's valuable trading goods. Coins must be the same. Most of your money is clearly in the form of highly valuable, extremely durable, and very light crystals. Like emeralds and rubies, except those aren't legal tender everywhere.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #9
So I won the game at last, at lvl 71, no brews made. All 5 artifacts collected, almost all quests done except killing the trolo king and returning the metal lumps. I see why people use higher difficulty levels. Physical attacks were stuck at 5% to hit early, then spells were easy to heal up, lately I only worried about dark wyrms or acid. Having all the items on one char made me defensively strong... the downside to rampant powergaming.

Interesting find: Boots of speed, a ring, the artifact plate and crossbow, the mithril sword each give +1 AP. Fast on feet gives one each other turn. But the total is max 4, not 6.

The gold cap annoyed me when I played A3 three years ago, since with my methodical looting I could have had 30k or so by the time I reached the horribly expensive skill trainers. It's not a big problem, but it stuck me as an arbitrary limit set annoyingly low.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
If you're close to the gold cap, just don't sell anything valuable (or anything expensive at all) until you use money. Just remember not to put too much in one town or forget where you left it. Maybe just pile it at the entrance to the dungeon you're in.

Dikiyoba.