Some final questions about Av 1.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Some final questions about Av 1.
Apprentice
Member # 5993
Profile #0
I just finished Avernum. Hurrah.
Now that I've finished, I want to ask:

1. Despite mega stats, enhancing equipment, Alien Blade etc, I was unable to achieve more than 99 damage in one go, (Excepting the extra damage when using the Flaming or Icy Longsword) , so I assume that this is the limit.
Does this change in Avernum 2 or 3?

2. Did anyone use use potion-making much? I only ever used Health and Energy. Potion-making actually turned out to be a good way of making quick cash later on. The best potions were the ones I couldn't buy, Knowledge brew and Resistance. (Or can you buy them?)

3. Did anyone find it easy? About halfway through the game I rarely bothered fighting my outdoor battles manually, I just used shift-A. I also found that in most dungeons, I rarely entered combat mode, simply pushing in the appropriate direction with the arrow keys.
The amount of Battle-enhancing, magic-resistant items I found was enormous, so that I hardly ever took damage from magic, and my enemies almost consistently missed.
When battling Hawthorne for example, I got hit by melee attacks 11 times in total. Magic did little or no damage whatsoever due to special items. Although I took pleasure in watching my team laying waste to my enemies with such little effort, it was more satisfying when battles had to be carefully calculated and considered. Is this the case in the sequels? (I realise that the difficulty can be changed, however, I like to play a game as it was "intended", at first anyway).

Despite these observations, I have to say, best game ever. I own the Trilogy so I'll be continuing shortly.

I posted alot of questions in the forum when playing this game, thanks for all the replies.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
In Avernum 3, the damage cap is 199. The bad news is that you'll consistently be doing 199 damage on every hit by about halfway through the game.

All of Jeff Vogel's games are pretty easy once you figure out what tactics are most effective. If you want more of a challenge, Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum have some third-party scenarios that ramp up the difficulty a little.

[ Thursday, July 21, 2005 02:58: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5993
Profile #2
On reflection, it might the turn-based combat system. Not that I would ever want it to be in real-time.
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #3
Perhaps it would be more difficult to play in "Torment" difficulty.

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #4
i think that avernum1 is the most difficult of the saga, not that much but still somewhat.
i used the alchemy in avernum 3, heroic brews are funny :D . but in avernum 1 i just didnt use alchemy, just a few minor potions.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

In Avernum 3, the damage cap is 199. The bad news is that you'll consistently be doing 199 damage on every hit by about halfway through the game.
And it's even earlier if you have a Slith with the Radiant Spear. (You know... the one near the Shambler in Upper Avernum...)

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 06:42: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Soltedas:

2. Did anyone use use potion-making much? I only ever used Health and Energy.
Heroic brew is good, because it gives you extra APs. Protection brew is good, when you're fighting creatures that have a chance of killing you.

quote:
3. Did anyone find it easy?
Yes. But still fun.

If you found A1 too easy, skip A2 and move straight on to A3. The golems in A3 are not so easy. EDIT: but easier than the ones in E3.

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 08:42: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4