Sudden discovery in A3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Sudden discovery in A3
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #0
while playing A3 i sold pachtar's plate mail to a guy in remerton. after returning to sell him some more stuffs, i found out that pachtar's plate mail was on sale with no price tags. when i clicked on it once, my cash balance went to -34047 ish. but, clicking it twice gave me a cash balance of 30000+

I wisely invested the money and got experience from Zang. well, people who wants to see this themselves should try it too. i AM not sure how this thing works, though. :P

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
The guy in Remerton (that isn't the name of a town in A3, though, is it?) must be an infinite reseller. Sell anything to him and you can buy it back many times.

I guess the high price tag causes a glitch where it will let you buy it even if you can't afford it. Seems strange, but that's all I can think of. Then the integer variable limit (±32757) makes your total wealth do odd things as the numbers wrap around. It happens frequently in E3 at least.

—Alorael, who doesn't see how that could result in a wealth of -34047, which is outside INT range. Maybe you misremember or maybe it's something else entirely.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Possibly because the max gold is 15000 in A3, as I recall. That means that the negative values go far higher than the positive values.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Possibly, but E3 caps at 30000 and discards any excess. I figured A3 was given a much larger buffer because of all the negative money fun.

—Alorael, who is no expert with C++, which may not even be the language used to code A3. But there isn't any numeric variable smaller than an int and still large enough to hold a value of 15000, is there?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
I don't think Jeff put in the gold cap because of any solid technical programming reason, though. I think he just set a number.

I mean, it was 9000 in A1 and A2, I think.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #5
Its 15000 in Avernum 2
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 60
Profile #6
The 9000 in A1 is is correct, though. (I remember because it made training blademaster a long, slow process...)

--------------------
"Insanity is okay, but stupidity is inexcusable." -Kenda Nicole Brand

Jacob say, "Man who smoke pot, choke on handle." -Jacob Doran
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #7
sorry, the place is Bremerton. hey, I found out that adding to that money makes it go down to 15000. If I buy experience from zang, however, the value remains the same. the glitch however can also happen with the black halbeard. I eventually made up 6 more levels (thanx to zang)and also kitted all my teammates in Pachtar's plate mail ;) :D

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #8
Bugs which allow obvious game exploits should not be laughed about, they should be patched. =/

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #9
Patches are rare.

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #10
as per C/C++, 'int' is defined to be "up to the compiler author but at least 2^32". short is similar with a 2^16 minimum (+32767 to -32768 for signed short). many modern compilers just treat short as equal to int, though, and make both 2^32. 'long' is always 2^64.

However, as Kelandon said, I don't think any of that is relevant to the gold limit. I think JV just pulled a number out of his... well, anyway. there you go.