That blasted battle sound.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: That blasted battle sound.
Apprentice
Member # 5724
Profile #0
Yo.
Im not sure if this is gonna get answered any time soon, but I had a peeve\wonder.

I love avernum. It's awesome. It's great.
The combat opening sound is not.

No offense to the devs at all, its just not my thing at all. So i was wondering if it would be possible to disable\remove it at all through a hex editor or something.
Indeces for the entry would be hot.

--------------------
Watashiwa Baka
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #1
Heh! Speaking of annoying sounds, I'm not too fond of the coughing noise that some of the characters emit when close to death!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Discussion of hex editing is unfortunately forbidden on these boards. Sorry!

—Alorael, who doesn't quite know what would maket the combat intro sound so offensive that it requires immediate excision. It's not that repetitive and irritating, is it?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5608
Profile Homepage #3
Download Exile, II, or III. Just to hear the battle entry sound.

--------------------
I am the snake that bites his own tail.
Apprentice
Member # 5724
Profile #4
Well i do find it irritating... moreso due to sheer volume than anything else.
I tend to have music playing while i play, yet the battle intro and the game intro sounds really tend to drown it completly out, something i notice most other sfx do not.

[ Tuesday, April 19, 2005 22:20: Message edited by: Jehar ]

--------------------
Watashiwa Baka
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #5
If you click while the game starts up you can skip the intro music. Not sure if it works for A1/2, but definitely for A3...
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #6
Thanks Jelly - that's a useful tip! My flatmate recently bought a bassoon; spiderweb's jingles really clash with Weber or whatever it is he's currently playing.

Quickly experimenting, it seems you can supress the startup music in A3, BOA and GF2 this way. Alas I tried and it didn't work for A1, A2 and GF1. Someone who has a mac will have to enlighten us for GF3...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 4404
Profile Homepage #7
I like all the quirky sounds, the battle sound (especially Avernum 1's OH nO CAVE LIZARDS) and the cough and the door opening noise, my favorite one is the biting one (the one that sounds like someone is eating chips).

--------------------
People says Microsoft paid 14 million dollars for using the Rolling Stones song "Start me up" in their commercials. This is wrong. Microsoft paid 14 million dollars only for a part of the song. For instance, they didn't use the line "You'll make a grown man cry".