most obnoxious dungeon in avernum/exile trilogy

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: most obnoxious dungeon in avernum/exile trilogy
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #0
Jeff likes to describe certain of his dungeons -- particularly the Tower of Zkal and the Crypt of Drath -- as "obnoxious". But which one, if any, sent you into a sulk - because "its just SO ridiculous, how can anyone be expected to complete this..."? Or were they all a breeze to you, even with the torment setting?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 54 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=WISPPLuqERJs"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=WISPPLuqERJs"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #1
If you have the hint guide, it makes a lot of those a lot eaiser.

--------------------
Trouser Snake.
Mustakrakish.

Infiltrators? No. Agents? YES!!
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #2
to me the most obnoxious dungeon was the one that i encountered in the quest for black halbeard...remote cave i guess. the teleporter really got on my nerves, I had some sleepless nights over it

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #3
I selected Empire Archives, mostly because I hate invisible creatures.

The Pit of the Wyrm, if it's the one I think it is (giants, nagas) was also, not annoying as such but I remember it as the toughest one for me, since I was vastly unprepared, I guess.

Laser, belts, etc don't bother me much. Just patience.

This is part of the BoA and not a dungeon, but to me the Run scenario was annoying (and somehow I see it as a whole dungeon) due to its time limit (even though I cheated with the editor to have all the time I needed).

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #4
In the Avernum series, the Tower of Zkal was the worst, but the worst dungeon of all, bar none, was the Tower of Shifting Floors.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Warrior
Member # 250
Profile #5
I voted the tower of zkal. I haven't played through all of the avernunm games but I did complete all three of the exile games and the tower of zkal was the one dungeon I don't believe I ever completed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
The Tower of Zkal is indeed the worst, and it bothered me even more than the ToSF. I never did manage to get through the tower in E3.

—Alorael, who will admit that he would likely have skipped the ToSF too if it weren't central to the plot (such as it is). The conveyor belt bugs were irritating to no end. The lasers in the Avernum golem spire aren't nearly as bad.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #7
Well, it seems we have a likely winner. I still dread going anywhere near the Tower of Shifting Floors...(shudder)

But I'd also like to put in a word for the brigand madhouse, since it literally took me months to find my way in playing E2...and so little reward when I finally did get in!

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #8
I say the Pit of the Wyrms because I absolutely HATED the fact that there was no light at all, and every five seconds you'd bump into a big slimy white thing. I couldn't see anything at all, and I died multiple times on it.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Apprentice
Member # 5542
Profile #9
I have to say Tower of Zkal 'cause there are so many passageways in there, and Far Sight is useless. Once you get through the first floor (if memory serves, there are several?), it's pretty easy. But the starting floor makes up for it.

Then again, I haven't played A1 or A2, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. The Golem Factory was pretty annoying, but not after I gave my party level three shielding with that one spell.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #10
All Im going to say is "dont get me started"

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #11
Topic resurrecting: Unpopular.

=/

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #12
I specifically remember when i first registered E3 and tried to do the entire game without walkthru but I gave up in disgust when it came to Golem Factory. Becuase those bloody golems do massive damage and i just spent so long (and was probably not leveled up enough).
I have nightmares about it still.......
Apprentice
Member # 6286
Profile #13
I found that the worst dungeon for me was in Exile 3, the New Factory. I found that despite it posing no real threat to my characters it pissed me off more than any other dungeon

--------------------
If you do not fight with any man...no man can contend with you...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
My worst was the Brigand Madhouse in Exile II. Pure hell.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #15
From the list, definitely Zkal... anything that drains SP just hurts my brain. But from anything, I'd have to say that one dungeon in A3 with all the Abyssal Slimes... simply horrendous. Wait, that wasn't Pit of the Wyrm, right?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #16
Yeah, pit of the wyrm is the one with the abysmal slimes.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Yeah, pit of the wyrm is the one with the abysmal slimes.
That's why it has almost always been the last dungeon I go to before the endgame.