Capture Soul/Simulacrum, help, please. (Different thread)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Capture Soul/Simulacrum, help, please. (Different thread)
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #0
I got Capture Soul and Simulacrum in Ghikra, when I was given the Soul Crystal as a reward. My Mage is Level 9, but the two spells are greyed out - even in combat. I thought I'd capture the Alien Slime, but had to kill it instead.

What have I missed?

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #1
either you dont have enough mana (costs like 20 or something) or you are too encumbered. that means you wear too heavy armor or whatever. the natural mage trait helps vs this, or you can just wear lighter stuff (your inventory doesnt count).

[ Wednesday, September 15, 2004 11:31: Message edited by: Ferox ]

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
You don't need your character to be level nine to cast Simulacrum or Capture Soul. You need the character to have nine points in the skill called Mage Spells. You can't cast any spell without enough of the appropriate skill.

—Alorael, who thinks this sounds like the most likely cause of grayed-out spells.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #3
He's Level 10, Mage Spells 9, he's wearing a Fine Leather Helmet, Robe of Magery, Pants, Boots, Gloves, Cloak, Shield Ring and Lucky Charm - weight 28. His Inventory weighs 16, so his total weight is, er... 44! :D (out of 110).

His red bar - Spell Points - is at 60 (is that what you mean by 'Mana'?). When he tried to use the spell on the Alien Slime, it was at about 40.

Any ideas? (Thanks in advance, btw.)

:confused:

[ Wednesday, September 15, 2004 23:20: Message edited by: Gunshy ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Try taking off the helmet. I think all helmets encumber you.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #5
I've taken off everything except pants and robe and the spells are still greyed out in the list and don't show when I press 'M'. :mad:

I'd better check that I actually learnt them!

Quick update:
Drat! I checked and found I actually had one of my fighters learn them, by mistook. Any way I can switch them to my mage? Or can I go back to Ghikra and buy them again for a different PC?

Or should I not even bother? From the other thread, it doesn't seem to be that useful a weapon.

[ Thursday, September 16, 2004 04:59: Message edited by: Gunshy ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
I think that in this case using the character editor to give your mage the spells is a fairly legitimate option. :P

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
But yes, you can go back to Ghikra (or just about anywhere else) and buy the spells for any and all of your party members.

—Alorael, who has also had fun with forgetting which character is selected when he buys spells. The editor is a perfectly valid recourse for fixing human error.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4932
Profile #8
Sorry i just have to ask... What
quote:
Alorael
mean? I have seen it a lot and it just drives me crazy not knowing what it is... so what is it?

-Kelar

--------------------
-Kelar of the Blue Traken Druid Order
Ambrosia SW Webboards Acoount name: Dark Jet
I post under The EV and Cythera Boards...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Alorael is the person who made the post directly above yours, and all the other posts that end in similar ways.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #10
Well, I returned to Ghikra and bought them again for my Mage. :rolleyes:

To test them, I captured the drake in the monster room in the Tower of the Magi and Summoned it to fight the original. It sat outside the cell where the action was taking place and vanished after a couple of rounds - actually, when I hit E to finish the fight.

How do you actually get these things to fight for you? (I've noticed Beastcall and similar Summons don't seem to bring much extra muscle in on your side. Are they just extra targets for the opposition?)

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #11
You use Simulacrum to summon any monster that you've placed in your soul crystal.

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
His problem wasn't with summoning it. His problem was with making it fight. :P

Are you sure the monster you were summoning it against was hostile? If it was, well, summoned monsters just act a little stupidly sometimes.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #13
maybe it didnt wanna fight another drake. like "yo thats my bro" or something. you know.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #14
But when I captured Erika's Ur-Basilisk, it quite happily froze the original. SO, I guess they're just a bit unreliable.

One other thing I noticed was that the Ur-Basilisk was copied onto the Drake's slot in the Simulacrum, thereby replacing it. Is that normal?

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Yep. It's completely random which slot a creature ends up in.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4836
Profile #16
Re: why the summoned creature doesn't fight, I've noted that when you summon creatures in a dungeon, they'll only fight if they're in the same room as the hostiles or close to them. And even when you're out in the open, they'll still hang back and not engage in hand-to-hand for the most part. For what it's worth I've only found divine host to be worthwhile as the shades have high mobility & serve as cannon fodder.