Blades of Exile Statistical Survey

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Blades of Exile Statistical Survey
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #0
Like Alec's survey, except this one is about Blades of Exile only. (This one is more appropriate than Alec's in its placement here- BoA fans should be familiar with BoE scenarios, since BoA owes so much to the designers who came before.)

Poll Information
This poll contains 25 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=MIqqDHIfEUVA"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=MIqqDHIfEUVA"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I don't pretend to know anything about BoE, really, unlike general Spiderweb things. I suspect you're going to get fewer responses than Alec did.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Question 13: This is a matter of opinion. Some people like Jackson Pollock. :P

Question 22: In Rubacus, the party is like Rocky Balboa; they go around hitting stuff. There. Now I know I have the correct answer. :P

[ Sunday, October 31, 2004 20:01: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
Read #22 with "first and foremost" before "compared."

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 5141
Profile #4
Personally I feel that whether or not this has a right to be here, it shouldn't be. Simply because it doesn't have a right. No offense implied, hopefully none taken. However I have been attacked before because I put something in the wrong forum, and hence I feel so should you. Beyond that, while I feel that MAYBE Blades Of Avernum might never even have came out (doubtfull though) if it wasn't for the popularity of BOE, I do not think that BOA owes anything to BOE. I never played BOE. However, I have BOA registered. So, at least in my world, BOA is completely exclusive to BOE.
I think the BOE community deserves thanks to BOA, for giving it such a versatile engine. Not the other way around.

[ Monday, November 01, 2004 18:42: Message edited by: RavagedSoul ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Well, you're certainly a piece of work. Point by point:
quote:
Originally written by RavagedSoul:
Personally I feel that whether or not this has a right to be here, it shouldn't be. Simply because it doesn't have a right. Okay, you just said that whether or not it has a right to be here, it doesn't have a right to be here. I hope you realize that does not make sense.

No offense implied, hopefully none taken. However I have been attacked before because I put something in the wrong forum, and hence I feel so should you. Note your post count (10) and TM's (4000+). TM has been here long enough to know the rules. You haven't. You should not be lecturing him on the rules.

Beyond that, while I feel that MAYBE Blades Of Avernum might never even have came out (doubtfull though) if it wasn't for the popularity of BOE, I do not think that BOA owes anything to BOE. You do know that Avernum is a remake of Exile in a new engine, don't you? Avernum IS Exile. It would not make any sense for JV to try to make Avernum in isolation.

I never played BOE. However, I have BOA registered. So, at least in my world, BOA is completely exclusive to BOE. You know those BoA scenarios that you like playing? They're made by TM, Khoth, Stareye... all BoE designers.

I think the BOE community deserves thanks to BOA, for giving it such a versatile engine. Not the other way around. A BoA player should thank the BoE community for making the third-party scenarios for BoA, not tell the community that they should be grateful for whatever Jeff Vogel gives them.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BANNED
Member # 5141
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, you're certainly a piece of work. Point by point:
quote:
Originally written by RavagedSoul:
Personally I feel that whether or not this has a right to be here, it shouldn't be. Simply because it doesn't have a right. Okay, you just said that whether or not it has a right to be here, it doesn't have a right to be here. I hope you realize that does not make sense.

I often do not make sense. Yes, I did at the time realize that it would not make sense, nor was it supposed to.

No offense implied, hopefully none taken. However I have been attacked before because I put something in the wrong forum, and hence I feel so should you. Note your post count (10) and TM's (4000+). TM has been here long enough to know the rules. You haven't. You should not be lecturing him on the rules.

I never lectured him, merely told him that I feel that it is unappropriate for this to be here. If he has been here for so much longer then I, he should know what goes where.

Beyond that, while I feel that MAYBE Blades Of Avernum might never even have came out (doubtfull though) if it wasn't for the popularity of BOE, I do not think that BOA owes anything to BOE. You do know that Avernum is a remake of Exile in a new engine, don't you? Avernum IS Exile. It would not make any sense for JV to try to make Avernum in isolation.

I never said anything to the contrary. I said that if it wasn't for the "success" of BOE.

I never played BOE. However, I have BOA registered. So, at least in my world, BOA is completely exclusive to BOE. You know those BoA scenarios that you like playing? They're made by TM, Khoth, Stareye... all BoE designers.

I realize that. However, the fun (for me anyways) is not in playing other people's scenarios. It is in the designing of new ones.

I think the BOE community deserves thanks to BOA, for giving it such a versatile engine. Not the other way around. A BoA player should thank the BoE community for making the third-party scenarios for BoA, not tell the community that they should be grateful for whatever Jeff Vogel gives them.

As stated before.
Beyond that (no offense to the designers) there are absolutely no good scenarios that have come out for BOA to date. Babysitting was the closest one to an actually worthwhile scenario (Some were decent, but not to my particular liking). I feel that regardless of Jeff's bad reputation because of less then enthuisiastic support for BOE, most people need to realize that if they like the games, Jeff is the one to thank for that. So I don't know if it's been done, but I think the community absolutely does need to thank Jeff.

For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #7
We pay Jeff, and that's all the thanks he's after. The designers work for free. And, for foture reference, it's best to let the mods take care of threads that are inappropriate for whatever forum they're in, as that's their job and they tend to be good at it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
This topic is definitely appropriate. So says the establishment.

It's great that you don't like playing scenarios as much. Yet, you claim that there are no good third party scenarios. What custom scenarios have you played?

At any rate, you need to realize that there is no need to throw a tantrum just because you don't like something. You may not like to play new scenarios, but, has it ever crossed your mind that there are other people here with different views on this subject? It's one thing to post your view, but it's another to say "My views are all powerful and supercede everyone else's; this topic MUST DIE NOW!!!"

As far as saying the BoE community owes BoA, that seems backwards. BoA exists only because of the BoE community. If the community did not exist to design scenarios, do you seriously think that Jeff would have even bothered to make another more sophisticated editor with the intent of pleasing the BoE scenario designers? The answer is definitely not. You would be fiscally naive to thing otherwise.

The fact remains: BoA exists because of the countless efforts by the BoE designers.

As far as what thanks Jeff deserves, he is a business man. He deserves the money that we pay for the games and does fine. The community has never asked for monetary compensation, nor do they want it. They deserve thanks for the endless hours of play that you will receive in BoA.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 5141
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by *i:

At any rate, you need to realize that there is no need to throw a tantrum just because you don't like something.

You misinterpret what I say. Not once did I get angry, or defensive, or offensive as far as I know. Personally I think it is everyone else throwing the tantrum here. I have better things to do then get angry about posts that I never had to read in the first place. As I see, I was simply replying MY THOUGHTS which deserve to be here just as much as anyone elses. So please, before everyone get's angry about a few words, to me at least, remember that I am not here to argue with you, or to be insulted/insulting. So, as I see it, I have done nothing wrong. If you don't like my opinion, don't read it. It's not my problem, so don't try to make it mine. I have no quarrels with anyone on this board. Except when my speaking privileges are dampened by a large number of angry and bored people. In conclusion, I don't care if you agree with me, and I'm not arguing with you, but I will say what I feel I want to say, regardless of whether or not you all think it's right.

Edit: I hope you all realize that almost every post starts with "I personally" or "I think". Stop reading so much into my words, and take them for what they are, opinion.

[ Monday, November 01, 2004 22:06: Message edited by: RavagedSoul ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Okay, let me see. You said, "However I have been attacked before because I put something in the wrong forum, and hence I feel so should you." That implies that you feel that he should be attacked for putting this in what you (wrongly) thought was the wrong forum. Yet somehow you claim, "Not once did I get angry, or defensive, or offensive as far as I know." Perhaps you weren't angry; in that case, your words indicated something stronger than you felt.

You also said, "I never lectured him, merely told him that I feel that it is unappropriate for this to be here. If he has been here for so much longer then I, he should know what goes where." HE DOES. YOU WERE WRONG.

And you add, rather defensively, "I have no quarrels with anyone on this board. Except when my speaking privileges are dampened by a large number of angry and bored people." So you have no quarrels, and don't feel that you've been offensive, but go out of your way to characterize those who have (correctly) disagreed with you as unjust, as well as "angry and bored." I hope you realize that this directly contradicts what you just said.

But then, you also said, "I often do not make sense. Yes, I did at the time realize that it would not make sense, nor was it supposed to." Good to know that you just spew garbage at us for the sake of annoying us, then. Thanks for that.

Oh, and P.S.: about your statement, "If you don't like my opinion, don't read it," this, again, does not make sense. One has to read your post before knowing whether one likes it. But since you're not trying to make sense, I guess you don't care.

In conclusion, I hope that you find true love and mate with a blender.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3340
Profile #11
Somebody please close this topic before it gets out of hand.

Thank you, James

--------------------
Sometimes I just don't know anything about everything -- or do I ?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
You have entered a spin zone.

"Can somebody please cut his mic?"

...Holy Jesus on a pogo stick. Let me respond to these as best I can:

"I never lectured him, merely told him that I feel that it is unappropriate for this to be here. If he has been here for so much longer then I, he should know what goes where."

You weren't lecturing me- you were just telling me what I should and shouldn't do is all. You think I don't know the rules? And heck, if Alec's post can go in the BoA forum, a test that clearly demonstrates the lack of understanding of Blades of Exile is indicative of clearly drawn-out failures of the BoA gaming body.

"I never said anything to the contrary. I said that if it wasn't for the "success" of BOE."

The quotations are supposed to indicate that Blades of Exile wasn't successful?

"I realize that. However, the fun (for me anyways) is not in playing other people's scenarios. It is in the designing of new ones."

This makes your position all the more contradictory. But more on that as I get to it.

"As stated before.
Beyond that (no offense to the designers) there are absolutely no good scenarios that have come out for BOA to date. Babysitting was the closest one to an actually worthwhile scenario (Some were decent, but not to my particular liking). I feel that regardless of Jeff's bad reputation because of less then enthuisiastic support for BOE, most people need to realize that if they like the games, Jeff is the one to thank for that. So I don't know if it's been done, but I think the community absolutely does need to thank Jeff."

All hail Jeff! Is that all?

Honestly. Ingrates who spew vitriol at the community, an incredibly hard-working body (I should know, though I wouldn't call myself its best contributor), express incredible irritation after six years of neglect to assist them in a task that they do FOR FREE. (When was the last time a monetary reward was offered for a contest? I forget, but I sure haven't won any, and I don't think Alcritas, Stareye or Drizzt have either.) Essentially, it comes down to the fact that the amount of respect we as designers give to Jeff is equal to the amount of respect he gives us as active participants in the act of adding value to his product with absolutely no reward.

But even beyond that, what flat-out pisses me off the most is the fact that neophyte imps are wandering around, insinuating that they somehow know what makes roleplaying good, and all of the hard-earned innovation and development of technique of seven years prior has essentially been dismissed as anachronistic in an attempt to revert to the days where slaying an orc was considered to be a passable plot. The ignorance angers me, and the fact that games to not appear to be evolving appalls me. Cut the ignorance- buy Blades of Exile and play its best scenarios. Perhaps if everyone were to do this and add sophistocation to their tastes, complaints like "this scenario is too linear!" or "Where were the secret passages?" wouldn't be flooding that damned review page so much.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4952
Profile #13
All I have to say is WOW!!!!! One could get stung by the hornets in this post!!! Wow, you managed to insult member #4 & #6 in the same post!!! Impressive green one!!!

"The Eagle will not land here"

[ Tuesday, November 02, 2004 10:18: Message edited by: Eagle1 ]

--------------------
Eagle1
BANNED
Member # 5141
Profile #14
I see now that you people have nothing better to do then pick apart everything that I say in a futile effort to cut me down. Did you skip over the parts when I was saying this was my opinion? Or are you having a monkey read for you? You want to see me trying to be offensive? I won't degrade myself to that level. Unlike you, who is already there. I refuse to continue this conversation with such volatile people. Write what you want in the rest of this post, I won't read it. Go ahead and think that "Oh we showed him." but remember, you're the ones getting angry and annoyed, not me. You all have way too many issues with taking things too seriously, this is not my problem. Have a nice day.

[ Tuesday, November 02, 2004 17:45: Message edited by: RavagedSoul ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Everything is someone's opinion. The problem is that your opinion is ignorant, and by stating it you're demonstrating that you're an ill-informed busybody who's very possibly spoiling for a fight despite your protestations to the contrary. You only have a right to an opinion as long as that opinion isn't blatantly and invincibly wrong.

EDIT: Maybe if you had invested one-third of your life into this community, you would be taking it seriously too.

[ Tuesday, November 02, 2004 18:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #16
I don't want to lock this topic, becuase I feel it has value. Maybe we completely do not understand some of your posts. Rereading them still sounds like you want to insue an argument by saying that the BoE community deserves little/no respect.

Making statements like that is sure to make people very angry at you because it insults the service that they have spent countless free hours providing you through their scenarios. It discounts the unimaginable amount of time that the community has spent complaining for a better editor so they could make more powerful scenarios.

The community invests the time not for Jeff Vogel, we thank him for making the editor, and that is all. This was important, yes, he deserves thanks for that, pay him. The community invests its time for players like you. As someone who claims to spend time creating scenarios, you should know the amount of time spent free of charge to provide a product for people to play. All they ask in return is respect and recognition. Taking that away will make them mad, really mad.

So, understand why people are rightly upset with you. You can claim no high ground here. Even if you did not mean to say what I said above, it is still your responsibility for posting offensive remarks. We may misunderstand, but that is still your fault. In the future, make sure all of your posts are indeed accurate to what you are trying to say.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #17
If everyone here spent as much time contributing to the community as they do nit-picking each other......

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00