First time here..been around a long time..

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: First time here..been around a long time..
Apprentice
Member # 5066
Profile #0
I first played Exile: Escape from the pit back probably right around the time it first came out. Memory is fuzzy..but I'm fairly sure it was before I graduated high school in 1997. I love them all, thought they were the greatest thing ever.
They reminded me somewhat of the old D&D gold box games.
I took fleeting peaks at avernum as they were slowly done and released (never quite understood WHY they redid the series instead of something new) but I have a couple of questions.
Why only 4 characters as opposed to the 6 in the original?
and do the series improve in technology and features greatly like the original did? For those who played them, you'll remember that the interface and features, seemed much nicer by the time Blades of Exile was reached. Does the same thing occur in avernum.. if I go back to 1, will i notice missing spells, skills, options ,etc? or is it the same pretty much all along?
Warrior
Member # 3035
Profile Homepage #1
welll icant really ansear your question...I never played exile... and i couldn't be arsed to play avernum 1 (no frieking quest log..)..... bUt anyways, Welcome.

--------------------
Geneforge 3 Trainer for windows.
[NEWEST v.0.9 ~~ Trainer D/L Here (.zip, 103kb)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
From A1 to A3, spells were changed around a little, and the system for calculating melee damage was changed around a lot.

Why 4 PCs? Well, you can get up to 2 NPCs in BoA, and 8 characters all walking in a line is a lot.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5062
Profile #3
*the spell bind foe will change combat tactics alot it was overpowered and removed in later games.
*Magic items are not highlighted in red keep your eyes out.
*AoE spells were removed in the avernum engine in favor of multi target spells with the accption of cloud of blades (apears in avernum 2 and on).
*specal skills like barter and magery can't have points put in them and may only be trained by a porfesional.
*Training itself must be done by a porfesional not just in town.
*The older avernum engines choked on values over 100
*First aid has and will always suck.
*High tool use is optional as unlock doors can beat almost every lock
*spell formulas for damage have changed check the read me
*Spells can be only levels 1-3
*Haste at level three is very powerful in the older games

I can't think of any more off the top of my head. I still had fun with the older games when they first came out. And I think you will like them too. Try out the demos and see if you like the games without all the nice perks jeff has added over the years.