Party Limits

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Party Limits
Apprentice
Member # 2328
Profile #0
I'm kinda new to these games...so Don't shoot me if im wrong on anything heh...

In the orginal exiles, the party limit was 6 correct? Why was this limited to 4 in Aver. and will it be moved back to 6 in Blades of Aver?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #1
Because Jeff prefers it that way. So do I, for that matter. I'd rather have 4 characters who can actually do something than 6 that seem to get two-hit killed all the time and can barely hurt the enemy, and that's how it felt alot in exile.
It is to say the least highly unlikely that Jeff will reinstate the 6 character party.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Apprentice
Member # 2328
Profile #2
Yes but if the limit is 6 what stops you from just using 4? It's just an option..something I find is disappearing from games lately
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Having six party members walking in a line as your party does in Avernum would be awkward. The addition of two more PC's would also require significant changes in code for the Avernum engine, which Jeff has already said he won't do. We're stuck with the four party member system.

—Alorael, who was more disappointed to learn that it will be impossible to make recruitable NPC's. There were so many possibilities for that...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #4
Mr. Postland is right. Recruitable party members would have had really cool possibilities.

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #5
It would have been neat to create a recruitable character who would later betray you. Having never tinkered with the BoE scenario creator or knowing anything really about triggers and scripting, I have no idea whether such an idea would be feasible or not. But it would've been grand... You're in the middle of a battle with some 'orrible monster and then suddenly one of your characters (preferably one you recruited because he's high level and quite skilled) would permanently side with the monster, forcing you to fight him as well. The surprise alone would be worth it.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
Dang... now only if that was possible... Great idea man, you're right, the surprise alone is good enough... I think i'm gunna but something like that into my scenario now. But then again, the Vahnatai also kinda betrayed you near the end (actually, very beginning but you didn't know it).

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Bah. My current scenario actually has an NPC that betrays you and kills your other NPCs.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
And I'm sure I'll be looking forward to playing that scenario on the 50th anniversary of BoE's release, Drakey. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Drakey's making RiB for posterity! We'll never be able to play it, but someday our children or our children's children shall look back upon this day and mock us for not seeing the glorious future of RiB!

—Alorael, whose breath remains unbaited. Holding your breath in expectation of RiB has a high chance of causing suffocation.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2288
Profile #10
What *have* you been smoking, mod?

The play balance of your characters in the Exile series wasn't all that stilted. While I don't mind the 4-character system, its ludicrious to suggest that the 6-character system was abandoned because it was too 'weak'.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
Having six PCs actually made the game more challenging, but by the end, all of my characters were extremely powerful.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #12
i don't really like the idea of six characters, it takes too long to make your party. :P

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #13
First of all, drathen, don't call me mod. I have nothing against nicknames, but it sounds like moderator. I almost thought you meant Schrodinger.
Second, what I have been smoking is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
Third, I never said that the six character party was abandoned because it was weak. I said that was why I didn't like it. There's a difference, in case you would care to notice.

[ Tuesday, December 17, 2002 04:05: Message edited by: modnaR ]

--------------------
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #14
I do like the 4 person party more, because it's a lot easier to manage. I myself am sticking with the 1 person party approach, and I've added yet another handicap by refusing to put any points into priest or mage skill.

As for NPC's, this scripting system Jeff has us all hyped up about looks like it will enable us to do almost anything, including NPC management.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #15
Actually, I think PartyNPCs are out...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 1892
Profile #16
Having joining NPC's would be nice, and I don't check here very oftan, so I din't know Jeff had said that he wouldn't do that. *Sigh*

--------------------
One more time,
For old times sake,
The Hammer will come
To Make Spammers Shake.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #17
Yea, I heard that PartyNPCs are hittin the sack. I can't remember if they didn't work in new engine or he just thought they weren't much use... one of the two :D

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #18
Yeah, I'm hoping those get done well. Not like the NPCs in BoE, which wouldn't follow you without special nodes, only leveled up if you gave the monster multiple forms or 'levels', and were as likely to fry you as the enemy if they were spellcasters.
Yes, I know that they can't really fry you anymore (except with cloud of blades), but my point still stands.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #20
It might actually be possible to get them to level up (or at least be replaced by a better monster), by actually killing things as well. Lets hope there's a:
beginstate KILLS_OTHER_MONSTER_STATE or something like that.
It also looks like their coordinates could probably be changed every turn as well, so as to follow the party - it might be a bit slow though.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote