Special spells

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Special spells
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #0
Ok, maybe there could be 22 spells and every species you can choose to be in your party can have different 21st and 22nd spells.

*Remember, knowledge is your sharpest weapon(if you take out your brain and stick a blade onto it.). :rolleyes:

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #1
Sorry, but that is really not going to happen. There has been alot of discussion of these things, and in the end it has been decided (principally by Jeff) that this will pretty much be a somewhat modified Avernum 3. The only spells that are changing are Simulacrum and capture soul. Besides, then he'd have to redesign the window design :P

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
I think I've been able to convince Jeff to leave empty ability slots that call scripts, like Divine Aid, Ritual of Sanctification, etc.

These could act as additional spells ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #3
I that you HAVE convinced him? If so.. wow, that's very good news, possibilities are already flowing into my head (of course, it'll presumably work just like usable special items)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #4
That sounds interesting. Just to clarify, though, this means that (if true and all that) one would be able to design scenario-specific abilities?

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #5
OOOOooo... too bad that'll never happen. That and the fact that keeping those abilities over different scenarioes would kill things. Or maybe you could strip the abilities at the end...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Yes, I mentioned (to Jeff) that they would be cleared at scenario's end.

You could use these for abilities, spells, skills, or pretty much anything. A Forge ability could take weapon parts and make whole weapons, etc.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #7
Wow. Very cool, I must say. So, would these replace the rarer abilities like Ritual of Sanctification, and/or would they use new slots?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
All the abilities not given by character traits will probably just be empty ability slots that can be filled in a scenario according to the designer's wishes. Jeff may keep Ritual of Sanctification as well just because it's been in all the games, but other slots will be empty for you to put in Summon Chicken or Balance Equation abilities.

—Alorael, who hopes that mind crystals remain in the games. They are one of the best rewards for a difficult quest.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #9
That will be Bad ARSE.
And I can't really see how Jeff would take out mind crystals. I'm worried about holding onto items that give skill bonuses. Am I being irrational here?

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
You'll be able to keep all items except those with custom graphics or those that call scripts (I think).

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Anything that summons specific monsters will also probably be out. Items that just cast summoning spells will probably be transferrable.

—Alorael, who now feels somewhat stupid. Even if Jeff takes out mind crystals, they probably won't be too hard to recreate using scripts.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #12
Couln't Jeff make it so that if an item with custom graphics left the scenario it could just have its graphic replaced by a built in graphic, decided by whoever designed the scenario with the item in? For example, the Jelly Bean Sword (which would have a graphic like a jelly bean), would have its graphic replaced by a normal sword graphic after changing scenario.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
He could, but why would he bother? In BoE scenarios, when an item is given a custom graphic, it's often *because* the designer doesn't want it to carry over into other scenarios. If you want the party to keep an item outside a scenario, just don't give it a custom graphic.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #14
Sorry, just to clarify: by 'hold onto', I meant that I hoped these would be kept in the game, not whether they would be transferable between scenarios.

--------------------
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #15
That's some good persuading! Thanks Drakey!

The extra skill slots give boundless new opportunities to the already huge scripting system.

*Thinks of BoA, drools.*

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
I'm sure they will stay in the game. Most of A3's artifacts given some sort of skill bonus, so it can't require any major engine changes to implement it. In fact, it would probably be harder to make it so we could create items without using skills.

—Alorael, who also hopes item augmentors are included. They could probably be duplicated with scripts, except for the zap, but it would be convenient to have them pre-programmed.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #17
Why not with the zaps? Surely there will be a 'SFX on square (x,y)' command, and presumably zap will be a SFX.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #18
Wasn't that possible in BoE too?

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
Yes. But the problem is that you can never tell which space to zap in a large room, if monsters (or the party) can move around.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #20
Of course, that wouldn't be a problem with augmentors, since they're a fixed terrain block anyway.

--------------------