Weak Potions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Weak Potions
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #0
I recently tried playing a two player party on Torment difficulty without the convenience of spells (including wands). The alternative was alchemy, so I had one of my characters master it.

VOTD was a bit difficult, there weren't many ingredients, and I didn't want to waste them on low level potions. I eventually beat the scenerio using the potions I found and using my Divinely Touched skill :) .

SR would have been easier if I had access to higher level potions. With a high level wood lore skill, I found a ton of ingredients for potions (along with a few nice items.) I eventually just used the potions found in the scenerio, instead of wasting my ingredients on low level potions, although the slime pit was a real pain.

I finally reached VKR and got my hands on some decent potion recipies. I was sure that the Strength and Haste elixer would have the same effect as a good war blessing. In the beginning I ran into a camp of Slith Warriors, relatively easy enemies, comparatively. After using a Strenght Elixer on my warrior/alchemist I sent him headlong into battle, only to be promptly massacred.

I thought that the Strenght Elixer would, at least, make the enemy miss a few times. Was I sure wrong.

The only potions that seem worth getting are the restoration brew, heroic brew, and the invulnerability potion.

Are anyone elses potions this weak? What am I doing wrong?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Hasting potions are useful in preparing before major outdoor battles, since you can't cast Haste outdoors. Energy potions are good if you need them too. Apart from that, eh.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
Perhaps I read it wrong, but you said that you thought the Strength Elixer would make the enemy miss? Strength potions make you stronger. So that you hit for more damage. I also believe it lowers the damage taken, but does not increase your agility.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #3
Protection brew is better than invulnerability potion. Haste elixir is useful outdoors because you can use them before the encounter starts. A stack of curing potions is good in swamps-- ASR or in the VODT final section. Having five curing potion each character in the final section of the VODT makes it very easy. Some diseases can only be cured by gray mold at least in Blades of Exile.
It is very good to be able to make protection brews and heroic brews in high level dungeons. Using bless potions saves spell points before combat. Generally they are good prep items. Not so good when you've started combat. Healing elixir is cheap.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 4583
Profile Homepage #4
No, strength potions increases the fighting skills, including the dodges. But a strength elixer is like a lv.2 war blessing spell so it should help.

--------------------
"Fall in CHAOS!!!" Dark Archon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by The Demonslayer:

Perhaps I read it wrong, but you said that you thought the Strength Elixer would make the enemy miss? Strength potions make you stronger. So that you hit for more damage. I also believe it lowers the damage taken, but does not increase your agility.
Strength elixirs give you the blessing and shielding conditions. Thus, you have a higher hit chance and hit for more damage *and* get hit less often (that's what shielding actually does--it decreases the chance for you to be hit).

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.