Special Skills Question...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Special Skills Question...
Apprentice
Member # 4119
Profile #0
If anyone could provide a quick description of the special skills I would be grateful. I've searched the forum & found details on the new skills, but the post simply listed Parry, Blademaster, Anatomy, Gymnastics, Pathfinder, and Magery as 'the familiar ones'.

That's as maybe, but having not played the previous Avernum games they're not familiar to me.

I've just started ASR and the only one of these I can train in currently is parry. However I have several items that provide bonuses in these skills and would like to know what it is they do, so that I can decide what to equip.

P.S.

I'd rather find out for myself how to train in them, just a brief description of the effects please.

Thanks,

Eldritch Cadillac
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Well, I wrote a list of skills and what you need in order to train in them here, but if you'd rather figure out the latter for yourself, I'll adapt this for you.

Parry: Increases your ability to deflect damage.
Blademaster: Increases your probability to hit and damage with any hand-to-hand weapon, melee or pole.
Anatomy: Increases your damage against humanoid monsters (human, humanoid, nephil, slith, or giant).
Gymnastics: Increases your ability to avoid being hit.
Pathfinder: Increases your chance of not getting poisoned/burned when stepping on swamp/lava.
Magery: Increases the effectiveness of your spells, either mage or priest. Also increases some resistances, I think.
Resistance: Increases your resistances to elements in general (fire, cold, etc).
Magical Efficiency: Has a chance of reducing the amount of spell points used when casting a spell.
Lethal Blow: Gives the possibility of landing a lethal blow, which does tremendously more damage than a normal blow.
Riposte: Super-parry. Gives a chance of actually returning some damage when parrying a blow. If you have high Riposte, an enemy attacking may end up doing more damage to itself than to you.
Sharpshooter: Increases your chance to hit and your damage with any ranged weapon (missile or bow).
Dread Curse: Makes you worse at everything. Every skill acts as if it is reduced by this value. Can't be trained (gotten through events in a scenario).

[ Friday, July 30, 2004 00:40: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4119
Profile #2
Thanks, that's just what I was after. ;)
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
I think Gymnastics also allows you to act faster. Riposte can only counterattack when attacked with a weapon.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
I think Keep is right. My only doubt was that Quick Strike may have replaced that aspect of it. However, the actual skill desc:

"Nimbleness in combat is a great advantage. This skill makes you a leaping, spinning, fighting machine. Gymnastics skill makes you harder to hit and helps you act faster in combat."

Clicking on the skill in the Info window will give descriptions like this for all skills. (Also opening up BoA with ResEdit and looking at the strings called "skills" :P )

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #5
I Dont play BOA very much, but I do remember there being a quick strike skill that makes you act sooner and get more action points. Gymnastics (I think) helps you dodge attacks and reduces damage from falling down cliffs. Im not exactly sure about the cliffs thing though.

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Yes, Quick Strike appears to have been omitted from that list. It improves your initiative and occasionally gives 2 bonus AP in combat (which is less useful than you'd think, since when you're hasted there's not really much difference between 6 AP and 8).

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Given that this list has been replaced by a better list elsewhere, I just fixed that one instead.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
Thuryl- when you're chasing down enemies, fleeing, need that first-turn boost, etc., 2AP is plenty. Not that you'll need it at ALL when you hit the higher-level scenarios that will give you its equivalent in overpowered items, but nevertheless...
(*coughcanopycough*)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
I don't flee, and my current BoA strategy (developed in Bahssikava while I was looking for fun ways to use high-level parties) is much, much less reliant on dishing out a bunch of first-turn damage than it used to be. My fighter's job is to stand around and take hits without dying; my sling-user dishes out almost as much damage as he does, and should almost never need to be moving around in combat.

[ Tuesday, January 25, 2005 21:00: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #10
I've actually been relying a good deal on Alderauge as well, which technically counts as a sling. Sorta.
Not really.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
It does over twice as much damage as a Blessed Sling. That borders on cheating. :P

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5438
Profile #12
I have one maby not so stupid Q and that is

What Sp Skills can you find in the land of dying
things

dose it let you regester for free because when i go
to regster now all you need to do is put in the code
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
You can get any special skills in any scenario if you get your stats up high enough to train in them.

Registration costs money. You have to pay to get the code.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5438
Profile #14
For some reason you keep helping me

any way i have the code