Blades of Avernum Center : Official Annoucement

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Blades of Avernum Center : Official Annoucement
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #0
Blades of Avernum Center : Official Annoucement

After hard work, I'm glad to announce a new site in the Blades of Avernum scene: Blades of Avernum Center!

But instead of telling you what is it about, why not go there? Go take a look, download what you like and, [i]please[/i], leave a message in the new and powerful forum! I hope to create a good BoA community in there!

With your colaboration, I hope that the site will grow and become a true Blades of Avernum Center!

(Now, don't be mean with your comments :D )

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 04:45: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #1
..I think I'll go with the Lyceum instead. Yeah, I will.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Yeah, me too.

EDIT: Three script databases? That would mean that every time I write a new script, I would have to upload it to my website, post it at the Lyceum, submit it to UA's script archive, and then add it here, too? Nah. I'll use my website and the Lyceum and probably UA's script archive, too, but this is too much work.

EDIT 2: *smacks head* And a graphics archive, too? Two words: the Louvre.

But whatever. If you want to put in the effort to maintain this, it won't hurt the community, so I can't object.

[ Saturday, July 24, 2004 11:55: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #3
A Scream From Inside A Black Van:

As you wish. But I must say that I don't pretend to replace any existing site, so there's no need to choose.

Kelandon:

If sending an extra email is too much a bother... I won't insist. But it would be good for the "scene" if everyone collaborated. That would mean more interested users, more contributions, more scenarios.

Everybody:

If it won't be to much of a bother, It would be nice if you left a post in my forum. No need to register.

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 04:46: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #4
What's there to reply to? I haven't seen your thing yet (been busy), but I'll take a look now.

WHAT IS IT WITH 'You don't have to Register' ???

- Archimage Micael

:D

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #5
That you don't have to register. Anything else?

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:

What's there to reply to? I haven't seen your thing yet (been busy), but I'll take a look now.

WHAT IS IT WITH 'You don't have to Register' ???

- Archimage Micael

:D

It means you won't have to pay for... Joking! :D What I mean is that you don't have to register a nick to post (except a couple of boards). :)

--------------------

--------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #7
Not bad, Very good interface for the Website. My only problem is that the BANNER is too dark, I can't see it well. If you made it a little lighter...

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #8
I appreciate all the work you're doing, as I'm sure everyone else does. The problem is, your site doesn't do anything no other site does. The Louvre is the place for graphics, the Lyceum and Spiderweb for forums and articles, the Lyceum for a script database and scenario rankings, etc. I recommend either coming over and helping out at the Lyceum or finding something that no other site is doing that you can. :)

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #9
Hi!

The BoA Center site pretends to do what's in the title: center. I want it to be a central place, from where users can get (or be directed to a place where they can get) resources, news, etc, etc.

Let's say I want to make it a good starting point for newbies, and a nice and central place for all BoA design community.

Judging by some responses, I must clearly state this: I don't want my site to be viewed as a competing site. All sites in the BoA community are important and not replaceable!

I'll try to make BoA Center the place of choice for BoA community news. It can include news about updates in other sites, file hosting, etc.

I think the BoA commnity will only win with this!

Everyone: Support the site. Go there, participate in the forums, send your works. The site is giving its initial steps, I count with your help.

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 04:47: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Tone down the smileys a little... I've found it makes people take you seriously.

And I can see where this is headed. We've had it in Blades of Exile with graphics - I can list probably 20 graphics archives, many of which overlapped in their content, but no single one that contained all.
For BoA, Brett was foresightful enough to establish a well-made database for these graphics, which spares us having to hunt through a dozen archives to find what we need. Decentralization is fine, but I'd rather find everything on a single site. ;)

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 04:31: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #11
Thanks for the tip.

And I agree with you: I would like to find everything I need in a single site, so that's why the BoA Center idea. ;)

About the graphics, that's something I must say I agree. The Louvre is very complete and has a very good database script. So I'm thinking about removing my graphics section or simply direct link The Louvre homepage, if I'm allowed to. Probably I would host all graphics in a single zipped file, one for each category, if you (all) think that that would be useful.

--------------------

--------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
There was an attempt to do this for BoE. It was called the Megasite. It, er, died. Alcritas has some fun rants about this over in the oldest threads in the Lyceum, circa summer/fall '01.

The problem with duplicating services (a graphics archive, a script archive, a scenario review area) is that doing so decentralizes those services. If there are two graphics archives, then everyone who makes BoA graphics will have to know about and submit to two different places, as well as (often) hosting them on their own web site. Having two places to which to submit graphics makes the likelihood that ALL graphics will end up in both archives decrease. Yes, many people will submit to both, but some will not. Why? For any of a thousand reasons. But it should be obvious that the possibility that a graphic will end up in one archive and not another increases as the number of graphics archives increase.

The same holds true for scripts. The same holds true for virtually anything. And the situation with scripts is worse: UA has had a script archive running virtually since BoA came out, and the Lyceum just started up another one. I didn't argue against starting one at the Lyceum because it gets much more traffic than UA, and it's been the Blades center for six years. It started as Alcritas's personal web site, but it is much more than that now. But yet another script archive going online would increase the possibility that scripts would be split: some would be in UA's archive, some in the Lyceum, some at the "BoA Center." And if you like going to one place for all your scripting needs, this would be VERY irritating. You will have to comb through three different archives just to make sure that you've seen all the scripts in existence.

There are two major caveats to this: first, Spiderweb's services don't count. BoE-ers remember that Spiderweb dropped BoE completely after a few years, and most of us don't count on Spiderweb to continue doing anything that it is currently doing. If it does, great. If it does not, we'll be ready. That's why CSR exists: it duplicates the rating service at Spiderweb, but it does it better, and it does it independently.

Second, personal web sites to host one's own material are fine. I have a web site that hosts my own scripts and scenarios independent of any central databases. TM has the same, and so do many other community members.

Overwhelming, if you don't want your site to be viewed as a competing site, stop setting up competing services. We don't need another script archive. We don't need another graphics archive. Heck, we don't even really need another set of scenario reviews: CSR is pretty good about that. Even "community news" isn't really needed, because message boards take care of that, and we have these and the independent Lyceum boards. There are things that the community could use that we don't already have, and your time would be better spent setting them up.

Like what? Well, we don't have a comprehensive links list. TM's BoE links list is outstanding, probably the best in existence. I know that if a BoE site exists, TM will link to it. You could provide the same sort of thing for BoA. If you want to help out newbies, have slightly longer blurbs, and separate the databases from the personal pages. Newbs should know that the Louvre is a database and the Lyceum is a big, important site and that my page is a personal page. Paragraph descriptions (rather than sentence descriptions) would be a good thing.

We also don't have an independent BoA scenario database, like Alexandria for BoE. Brett Bixler said he'll set one up as soon as we have a few more scenarios, but you could do it instead. Brett is a busy man, and it would be one less thing to worry about.

Or you could turn this into your own personal web site, where you host your *own* scripts and your *own* scenarios and your *own* graphics, much like my page, or TM's, or any of dozens of other Blades pages.

I appreciate the amount of time and energy that you're putting into this, as I'm sure we all do. But I'd just like to see that energy go to something useful.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #13
Kelandon - It's not that bad - leave him alone! :D

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #14
Micael, you make us sad - leave us alone! :D

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #15
I agree totally with Kel. I remember the good old Blades of Exile Ring, though, and it was good. But probably the reason for that is that there wasn't too much redundancy or sites that tried to provide services that were already out there.

I think a personal site + BoA scenario archive would be the best thing. Perhaps some articles on whatever would be good, as well.

I just hope the scenario thing won't kill your bandwidth.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #16
Personally, I never liked the Lyceum. I stop by now and again, but it probably has something to do with the fact that, before there was a BoA, It was all about Exile, a game I'm not big on. And pretty much all of the members there have an "Exile rules, Avernum will never live up" philosophy. Which is fine, but I disagree with it.

So basically, my personal view is that Lyceum is a great resource for BoE, and Overwhelming's site+forum, will be just as good a resource for BoA.

The louvre on the other hand, is quite nifty.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
From the man himself. The first post is the important one.

EDIT: Also note that the Lyceum is hosting a BoA contest as we speak.

EDIT 2: Besides, even if the Lyceum didn't exist, the Louvre would still be a graphics archive and UA would still have a script archive.

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 12:20: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #18
Thank you, The Creator and Kelandon, for taking your time to do a constructive critique.

As I've commented with The Creator here and through PM, I agree that exclusive content is important, and something will be done in due time. But it already presents some features that I think are useful.

I don't agree that BoA Center would decentralize even more the BoA scene. It's exactly the opposite what I'm trying to do. Having a central place, a starting point will only help the BoA community: other sites included. Check for news, scripts, scenarios, etc in a single site is useful, in my opinion. People will get what they want from there, will know where to get what they want, if it isn't there. That just means a community growth: more site traffic for all sites, more BoA designers, more scenarios for us to play.

But then Kelandon points a problem: contributors would have to send their material to more than one site and there might be discrepancies of material provided by the different sites. For that, I can only answer for my site's name: I will have all resources in my site (i.e., the ones the site proposed to have: I've alredy commented that the graphics aspect will be left for The Louvre, I'll only present there what I already told in my post above). I won't depend only on user submissions. I'll get all scripts, scenarios and whatever is necessary. (Like I'm doing now for most of the resources [there's already some submissions], although I've not uploaded everything I have right now, as I insist in placing a description or comment in everything I'll upload there, making it easier for people who want to know what "this" is about, before downloading).

I'll only ask an open mind and a sense of BoA community followship, as we all have the same objectives and needs.

It would be more than welcome to see you both and everone in my forum or, at least, in the site. :)

PS: Thanks for the compliments on the site. It's the first time I make one (not even a simple and small homepage before). :)

--------------------

--------------
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #19
The trouble is, there are already two script database, there are already two message boards for spreading news, and making more of them just decentralises things further. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it's a little counter-productive. Of course every site wants to be the nexus of everything, but only one or two sites can achieve that, and I'm afraid that unless you do it much much better that they are, it will decentralise rather than centralise things.

I applaud your enthusiasm for going out and actively getting all the resources out there, but I can't help but feel that no matter how much you intend to do it now, sooner or later it has to wear off...

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
"Let's have a, like, totally central place. For everything. And why shouldn't it be mine?"

If one member thinks this, well, there's one guy struck with hubris and egomania, but since he's the first he'll likely have success.

But since there's dozens of people with that philosophy, we have dozens of guys (and girls) struck with hubris and egomania. And the result is a dozen sites all striving to be the 'central' place. What good does it do?

Speaking from experience: I set up the Encyclopedia two months after I joined here - not much difference to you there. I started it because I found out there was a niche that hadn't been filled yet by any other page - we had ~10 graphics archives for BoE, some of which included a little information about the game world: But Akhronath's Archives has a brief section, and Drakefyre's Demesne concentrates primarily on the Vahnatai. There wasn't a site dedicated to this single purpose yet.
Am I a hubrid egomaniac for doing so? Absolutely. I should have left this kind of thing to people who knew HTML, people who knew about Ermarian, and most of all people experienced and respected in the community. I won't deny that my motives for getting the project going was to a great part my drive to become popular on these boards.
Would I have tried to make the site if there'd been one already with exactly the same purpose? No. I'd have supported the other, just as I've submitted my BoA graphics to the Louvre, would send my BoE scenarios (if I had any) to Alexandria and Spiderweb, and any scenario reviews to the Lyceum or Spiderweb.

Point?

Find an area that has so far been neglected by the existing sites. I can't think of any right now, but I'm sure you'll find some. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #21
Overwhelming,

I can't see any reason why to join another forum
on a site which offers nothing new compared to the existing ones?
I don't have the time to join tons and tons of forums of fansites, not even visting them.
Your site is just one of many except that it comes late and offers less than others.
Make yours a central? Why? There are already enough "centrals" if you ask me.
I would suggest that you focus on provding something unique and not just trying to bring every info and data together, but expecting others to do so.
If you rely on the rest your "central" is already doomed.

What strikes me more is that it seems that it was your personal impression that there is the need fo r your site, though you didn't really check with others before if your interpreting the situation correctly am I right?
Sorry but I don't agree at all with you.
Again, focus on something unique.

my 2 cents
Abraxx

PS the only thing you are doing is the opposite of your aim, decentralizing even more...

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #22
It only gets MORE decentralised if people keep opposing things like it. What you need is a sort of... WEB of information, with all of them linked to eachother.

And He's working on something unique :D

- Archimage Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #23
Archmagi, you always get opposition, you can't blame the opposition for anything which impacts such plans. A project needs to be bulletproof and get compliance EVEN with opposition. THATS the reason why such projects are usually doomed. Thats why I'm telling you that this site is essentially acting against its aims. If you don't have compliance don't blame the users, better think about the reasons for the lack of compliance.

hope I made myself clear
rgds
Abraxx

[ Wednesday, July 28, 2004 04:02: Message edited by: Abraxx ]

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *