KWP Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: KWP Update
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
I just updated my page with a few new things. Among them: the HLPM v1.0.2, with a couple of changes. First, the Arena, a place to test out the combat abilities of your newly-made party against monsters of approximately your level, or any other level, for that matter. Second, stronger, easier-to-make god parties (because I know that's what everyone really uses this thing for ;) ). Third, easier-to-use shops, with text bubbles over each shopkeeper describing what they sell.

The changes were big enough that I thought about doing a beta, but decided against it at the last minute. My alpha testing was thorough, and there's not too much variety in what you could do here. But if you find a bug, be sure to e-mail me at tomwatts@berkeley.edu.

Another new item: a Scripts section, which right now only has some extremely basic (but very useful) scripts. For the truly script-phobic designer, I have some good stuff there. Search-Step and Search-Block bring back a part of the interface from the Avernum Trilogy. Remember how you just had to walk into wheels to use them? Notice how you have to search them now, because of specobj.txt? Well, Search-Block changes that, and Search-Step does much the same thing. There are a couple of others in there too.

And finally, I posted my notes from re-playing parts of the Avernum Trilogy. They are still in note form, so they may not make much sense, but they point to some places in the trilogy where you can get historical information about Avernum.

Also, I have a naming contest going on over in General. Give me a new name in place of the shabby KWP! (But post it over in General, because I don't need two topics on this.)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2147
Profile #1
Here's an idea:

Why not go to each of the four canned scenarios, and pick out the "Unique" items that are unique to that scenario, like the other types of pants of power, some of the shields and weapons that are unique to those scenarios, and put all of that stuff in the HLPM? that shouldn't be too hard to do, should it?
Apprentice
Member # 466
Profile #2
I downloaded the new version and got a whole mess of errors... Nothing worked properly. None of th merchants, the arena, the XP/Level adjustment function.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
GavinFox, interesting thought. I will look into that the next time I do an update.

Fineghal, my first guess is that your download was corrupted. Try re-downloading. If that still doesn't work, let me know your operating system and version of BoA that you're using, and specifically what the error messages say.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #4
Given how complex (or rather, cumbersome) the system for what level you want already is in the script, why don't you let the player type in a level and then check individually whether it's "1","2","3"..."99","100". I'm sure you can do something about GOD. Either let them type that in too (text matching isn't case sensitive), or give it as an option in the first dialog.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Apprentice
Member # 466
Profile #5
Mac, OS 8.6
BoA 1.0

No level select screen as in the previous version.
Upon entering scenario:

partymaker error: Unknown command clear_buffer in line 56

Crossing XP runes:
t0Party Build error: Unknown command clear_buffer in line 684

None of the shops work, nor do the runes. Arena is inoperative.

Downloaded both zip and sit formats...

Anything else you need?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Ah, yes, as I suspected. I forgot to include in the readme -- and realized only after you mentioned that it didn't work -- this:

"This scenario will only work with BoA apps that run Scenario Format Version 2 (Mac v1.1 or Win v1.0 or better). If you don't have that, download the latest patch from Spiderweb."

I use string manipulation in this edition of the HLPM. That will crash Mac BoA v1.0. Get the patch and upgrade.

EDIT: Isaac, I might in the future if someone convinces me that exact levels actually matter. Now that I have the level selection working as a "while" call, it's actually somewhat less clunky, code-wise, although it looks the same to players.

Actually, come to think of it, I could just check individually if it was 5, 10, etc. I probably will do that for the next version.

[ Friday, July 02, 2004 09:12: Message edited by: Imbandon ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #7
The new test-arena is fun! Yesterday I spent half of the evening by test-fighting until level 50 (uh, the huge drakes ... :eek: didn't see my singleton anymore ... had a blind fight ...)
I involuntary killed some innocent people with Clouds of Blades, it didn't bother somebody ... hm. :D That would be a surprise, if everybody would become angry by that and you had to fight the monsters and the audience. But it might be too complicated to implement that.

And I appreciated Machrone's appearing!
It would be witty, if he was in every scenario.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #8
I tested out the HLPM against my super party. I finished all of the blades scenarios with this party plus roses of reckoning. Some suggestions.
1. It is good that we do not have artifacts from other dungeons. Might be nice to see some non-standard items anyways. Put in a table with unusual items-- just as a joke-- pink leather pants, thinking cap, etc. That you can only get using the HLPM. They should be ridiculous.
2. Put in an inn. Sleeping regenerates special abilities. The auto-heal does not. This would help in the arena. Also you could buy food there unusual items like apple pies, sandwiches, caviar, and other useless items like roses-- you find this in Roses of reckoning, or Gremlin wine.
3. Make the audience members come down and fight you if they are damaged. Not the whole crowd, but the audience members who are damaged. Give the audience the ability to occasionally throw things at you.
4. Do a trap test. Different levels of thievery for opening doors, defusing mines and chests.
5. Do a walkaround for the runes if people do not want to step on them to gain experience just use the arena, etc.
6. Hints library-- have a small library with hints on combat etc. Also you could get books which up certain skills.
7. Put in a storage room where you can drop off items between scenarios.

Just some ideas to make it more interesting.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
1. Um, maybe.
2. Good point. I will either add in a time lapse on the Healing Rune or make a full inn.
3. No. Just no. But I will change the situation for damaging audience members. Crimes in the HLPM are an auto-kill offense. I'll do something in order to make it impossible to hurt them accidentally, and if you attack them intentionally, you die.
4. I thought about this, but then I remembered that this depends purely on your Tool Use or Strength skills. You don't need to unlock a door in order to know that your Tool Use is 11. This really doesn't seem necessary.
5. Interesting thought. I suppose I could separate out the two. This would mean that the HLPM would be becoming more than just a HLPM, but also a general utility. Not a bad thing.
6. Hints on combat? As if I know any. It seems like it would kind of be cool to have a library, though, so I'll see if I can come up with something.
7. I don't think this is possible. If you start a scenario, drop items, and then leave the scenario, the items won't be there when you start the scenario a second time.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #10
One other thing. If you come in from the outside you can buy things but not sell anything. Add a pawn shop to sell items which you do not want to leave on the floor. Leaving stuff on the floor is just messy. There could of course be a waste pit to drop things in. :eek:

It would make a nice general utility. I could see all sorts of stuff. A small temple to uncurse items-- between scenarios. Anyways, but I digress...

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #11
quote:
from ButteredToast: Might be nice to see some non-standard items anyways.
:P I'd like to have a Wand of Polymorph and a Wand of Translocation!
And too bad we cannot have a storage room ... I miss Hawkes Mansion too.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #12
You forgot the poor Wand of Life Drain...