newbie questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: newbie questions
Apprentice
Member # 4509
Profile #0
i got the demo but have some questions before i start playing it.

where is there a list of all skills and what they do?

do you have to start a new party with each scenario, or can you keep the same one for everything?

thanks
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #1
You can reuse the same party between scenarios, but you have to finish or leave a scenario before you can start a new one with that party.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1444
Profile #2
There is a list of the skills in the BoA docs, just check under the catagory: "Getting Started".

You can keep your party between the scenarios.

EDIT: Dragyn Bob beat me to the last question.

[ Thursday, June 10, 2004 09:48: Message edited by: Ninjutsu ]
Apprentice
Member # 4509
Profile #3
where do i get the docs?
Apprentice
Member # 4509
Profile #4
nevermind.. in the game folder. i'm not used to games actually having a manual
Apprentice
Member # 4509
Profile #5
where can i find more detailed info though? like how much raising a skill by 1 changes things? i heard that divinely gifted trait increases a bunch of stats every 7 levels or something.. where can i find this info? i need to know to plan my party before beginning.
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #6
You get the docs in your Blades of Avernum folder.It's:"Blades of Avernum Manual, Order Form.pdf".And you have a "how to read instructions" text document, also in the BoA folder...If you haven't try to download BoA again, perhaps you got a corrupted file...

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #7
if you're searching for info, just look at the forums :D !Search for "begginners party" and stuff...

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Apprentice
Member # 4357
Profile #8
Here's a tip:

Just PLAY THE GAME.

You have the demo version, right? How many levels are you expecting to advance? I mean, really?

Just try different kinds of parties, with lots of different setups. I generally keep things as standard as possible. No special abilities or traits, all human, etc. But that's just me. Play the freakin games until you find out how you like to play.

Planning? It's a game, not your 401k.

--------------------
Drunken Music from The Sober Irishman

***I beta-tested Blades of Avernum and you didn't***
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by travm25:

i got the demo but have some questions before i start playing it.

where is there a list of all skills and what they do?

do you have to start a new party with each scenario, or can you keep the same one for everything?

thanks

:rolleyes:
FOR WINDOWS - Just press on the info sign next to your character. A screen will appear with the names of all of your stats, press on each one and you'll figure it out. Anyway - you'll need the registered version before long. I had to wait two days til I got the registered version. I was dead bored and did valley of the dying things three times in total - it's so fast! And the help guide is in the docs...

[ Friday, June 11, 2004 02:01: Message edited by: Micael 456 ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Apprentice
Member # 4509
Profile #10
lol yes miceal that is obvious..

i mean more specifically what they do. not the obvious explanations like strength raises melee damage.. really!?
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #11
Many weapons will give you a good indication of what's going on- a sword may deal 2-12+1-6 damage per skill level. The skill level is your level in the requisite weapons skill (melee, pole, bow, thrown) and usually strength. So if you want to do 3.5 more damage on average with this weapon, then increase either your strength or melee skill by a point. Once you get some special skills, these numbers will change, but not by that much.

[ Friday, June 11, 2004 14:26: Message edited by: Schrodinger ]

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4509
Profile #12
the sober irishman: here's a bigger tip, people play games differently than you. i have a busy life. so i do not have time to play games over and over. replay value is completely unimportant to me... infact i prefer beating games that i have no temptation to play again.

fun is what's important. and i have the most fun in playing rpgs when i have planned my char (or party). before doing so i would like to know what is available to them (skill info and such). i do not like knowing about secrets/weapons/items, however. this is my style. learn that others have different styles and less time. thanks.