race, class, protection stat

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: race, class, protection stat
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #0
Has anyone noticed that rebel class gives better protection stat than other class (12% for fire, cold, and magic for human (+30 fire if slith))?

Also, sorcerer class gives 10% magic and 25% mental while cleric gives 20% mental protection.

This didn't seem to happen in the trilogy. I don't know whether this is good improvement or not, but for an indecisive player like me (who spends more time trying to create a satisfied party than actual playing of the game), it is rather frustrated.
:confused:
Sigh....

Normally, I would create a 4-soldiers party just to get the most equipments then rebuild an actual one in the scenario. However, now I can't use this tactic anymore. Gee, thanks Jeff. :mad:

(sorry for the rant :P )

It would be nice if some experts here would write some guidelines after making thorough tests on various features of party making including traits, etc just to compare with those from trilogy. It would help a lot with inexperienced players from both trilogy and non-trilogy players
Posts: 266 | Registered: Wednesday, November 12 2003 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #1
Intellegence, Priest skill and mage skill affect mental and magic resistance in BoA. :D

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #2
I just created a 'custom' char with similar stats to the rebel char (not identical - classes get more stats than custom chars). I got the same results with the custom char as the rebel char.

Luck, hardiness and dex were the stats that were relevant. 1 point of luck gave 5%. Setting dex to 4 gave another 5% and each point of hardiness gave 1% resistance for fire, cold and magic.

The rebel starts with a point of luck, 4 dex and 2 hardiness, which accounts for the rebel's resistances.

EDIT: And I agree with Zephyr. The stats he mentioned affect mental and magic resistances. So magic resistance can be beefed up by building fight stats or spell stats - the only resistance that doesn't require a character to go outside her specialty.

[ Saturday, June 05, 2004 05:30: Message edited by: Kyna ]

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #3
this is a bit off topic, but I played around with dex and sometimes when it goes up to 6, the tool stat won't change (despite tool = dex/2) and when I increase dex up to 7 or 8 then tool will become 3 eventually. Then I lower dex to 6, and sometimes tool stat changes to 2 again and sometimes not change at all. Is this a bug? Has someone experienced this?
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #4
Speaking of tool skill, I once designed a character with nimble fingers. Nimble fingers gives a +5 bonus to tool skill! :D

And I did not experience that Dex thing you mentioned, Dragongirl. I guess I'll see if that could happen to me, too.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Dragongirl:

this is a bit off topic, but I played around with dex and sometimes when it goes up to 6, the tool stat won't change (despite tool = dex/2) and when I increase dex up to 7 or 8 then tool will become 3 eventually. Then I lower dex to 6, and sometimes tool stat changes to 2 again and sometimes not change at all. Is this a bug? Has someone experienced this?
The most likely explanation is that you have an item equipped that increases dexterity; equipment bonuses to stats don't affect other stats. The dexterity bonuses from Nephil characters and Divinely Touched may also cause behaviour like this, but I'm not sure.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 3647
Profile #6
That's because Tool Use depend on the number of points you actually added into your Dexterity, not the Dexterity score itself. Since Divinely Touched gives a bonus to your ability scores as you level up, you could encounter oddity.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #7
this happened during a new party creation, and from my understanding,

tool = dex/2 which was also the case in the trilogy. So if I make dex = 6 then tool has to be 3, right? However, sometimes it still remains as 2 until I increase dex up to 8 as I have stated above.

I have never encountered this problem before until now, and I just suspect that it could be a bug, but if someone can explain to me clearly of the other reason, I'd be greatly appreciated.
Apprentice
Member # 3647
Profile #8
I just answered your question, but I'll repeat again in more detail.

base score for Tool Use = (Base Dex)/2

Base Dex is your Dexterity score unaltered by equipment or traits like Divinely Touched.

So you shouldn't look at the score displayed for Dex to determine your base Tool Use stat. You should take that Dex score and subtract out the bonuses due to equipment and other sources.

This is true for other stats too. Their base scores are dependent on the unaltered stats.

How is this different from A3? It's not. The thing actually different here is that in BoA, the bonuses from equipment and Divinely Touched actually shows up on the character screen.
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #9
A possibility exists apart from divinely touched which would explain his confusion. Nephilim start with a +2 bonus to their dexterity scores, and this bonus grows with them. At level 35 nephilim have a +8 bonus to their dexterity.. I imagine that there are times when this bonus is uneven, like the divinely touched bonus.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
If it's a newly-created party at level 1 and the bonus is uneven, then it's probably the Divinely Touched bonus.

And why do you insist on referring to Dragongirl as "he"? >_<

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Technically, veroth's description is of the bought value, not of the base value, at least according to Nethergate's nomenclature. And what Qualnor is describing affects the base value of Dexterity, which does not affect the base value of Tool Use, because the base value of Tool Use is, paraphrasing veroth, the bought value of Dexterity divided by two (rounded down).

I'm sure that made almost no sense, but I have a better description of base and bought over in this thread.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
I'm starting to really wish BoA would just display the base as a (+1) or whatever beside the bought value, instead of adding them together for display.

[ Sunday, June 06, 2004 22:20: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #13
thanks. I went back to the game and tested around a bit and see what happened now. Much appreciated.