Differences between BoA and BoE, what's Nethergate

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Differences between BoA and BoE, what's Nethergate
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #0
What are the main differences between BoE and BoA?
And what is Nethergate?

I checked on Spiderweb site and found at BoE review press that BoE (not BoA) includes :
The Valley of Dying Things, A Small Rebellion, ...

Well :D .

And when checking games list I couldn't find Nethergate nor a description of it anywhere.
Warrior
Member # 1427
Profile #1
BoE uses the Exile engine, which is vastly different from the Avernum engine. (cant do quite as much, although i still prefer it) Thats the only big differance I can think of.

As for Nethergate, http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/nethergate/index.html :P
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
On Nethergate: Our Games. Scroll down past the Avernums.

Differences between BoE and BoA... well, BoE has 2-D graphics and BoA has 3-d. They have different systems of painting the floors and terrains. BoE has a fairly simple and rather buggy node system for coding, whereas BoA has a scripting system that allows for much more. BoE's dialogue system is based on asking user-entered questions, whereas BoA's is based on selecting from choices. They have almost completely different spell systems. They both have the same pre-packaged scenarios, except that BoA has one more. And for third-party scenarios, BoE has dozens of great scenarios made for it already, whereas BoA has Roses of Reckoning.

My advice: buy them both.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #3
I dont know why, but i find BoE and the Exiles in general to be absolutlry detestable, but i love the avernums (apart from A1, for some reason). I am one of people who played the avernums first, and then played the exiles. can anyone rationalise my sub-hatred of the exiles?

RDIT: i actually played nethergate first, but it was a very long time ago, and i didnt come back to look at the other games, even though i loved it. Nethergate is good, so play it...

[ Sunday, April 11, 2004 09:00: Message edited by: Angry Ogre ]

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #4
I cannot tell you how many Exile vs. Avernum arguments this board has had. Please do not start another one. Generally people enjoy the series they played first, in your case Avernum, in my case Exile.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #5
Thanks for the answers and links. Nethergate is suprising I hope its old age won't hurt it's scenario quality. I'll try the both demos in all cases.

[ Sunday, April 11, 2004 12:14: Message edited by: Vent ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Nethergate isn't scenario based. There is one storyline, and that's it. The nice part is that you can play through it from both sides, either as Romans or as Celts. You get to hate yourself for outsmarting you.

—Alorael, who thinks Nethergate certainly deserves recognition as Spiderweb's original and intereseting game concept. Its engine is a bit rougher than Avernum's, but not terribly so.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1373
Profile #7
What I liked best about Nethergate is all the different spells and the circles. This adds to the fact that, as the Celts, you are fighting for a dying, though elaborate, culture. Nethergate just seems to establish a more personal connection with the player.

--------------------
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
-Douglas Adams