VoDT question: opening portculli in Experiment Halls?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: VoDT question: opening portculli in Experiment Halls?
Apprentice
Member # 4207
Profile #0
Hi there...

Just trying out the demo version of the game. I am stuck after turning on the Waste Disposal System...I'm looking everywhere for the Waste Disposal Area, but can't find it. I feel like I've missed it or it's behind one of the two doors that I can't open.

That's not very specific. Here's a specific question:

There are some portcullises (classical ones, not energy-beam; I have the special rock that enables you to open the glowing portculli) in the northwest party of the "Experiment Halls" of the lower school. I found two levers on that level, and pulled them both, but nothing seems to open these portculli. Any advice?

Thanks...

[ Monday, April 05, 2004 11:20: Message edited by: mycophage ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I can't remember which of the many portculli this is. There are many that are operated by lever, of course, but there's also at least one that you have to open through buttons on a control panel, and I believe there is one portcullis that can never be opened at all. Look for secret doors both nearby and anywhere there is a gap in your automap.

—Alorael, who doesn't think this sounds like the way to the Waste Disposal Area anyway. Make sure you've explored the outdoors fully. It's easy to get distracted with one pile of towns and miss another.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #2
No idea about the portcullises, but the Waste Disposal Area is outside the lower school. Go back into the big underground cave and go down and to the right. You'll have to cross all that diseased area first.

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Apprentice
Member # 4207
Profile #3
Ah, thanks very much. I probably never would have checked there -- after "Avernum III" I'm so spoiled by that spell that allows one to walk over deadly terrain without injury that I just didn't have the patience to slog through poison without it.
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #4
Heh. Yeah; why did Jeff zap Safe Travel anyway?

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Apprentice
Member # 4133
Profile #5
Generally speaking, I'd guess that Safe Travel made things too easy. Lava, swamps and the like are all useful tools designers can use to control a party's progress through an area, and the presence of such a simple means to avoid these obstacles would have reduced the use of including them.

The Pathfinding Skill is a fair alternative - you can still avoid dangerous terrain, but the skill points you'll need to invest in that talent are far more valuable than a few spell points.
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Mmcd:

The Pathfinding Skill is a fair alternative - you can still avoid dangerous terrain, but the skill points you'll need to invest in that talent are far more valuable than a few spell points.
True; it's a ton harder to get, however. Is there a good place in the four bundled scenarios?

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Apprentice
Member # 4133
Profile #7
It becomes available for regular traning after you've helped yourself to a reasonable sum of Intelligence and Nature Lore. I believe there is also a trainer at the beginning of ZKR that will sell you some.
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #8
I can see I haven't played enough yet. I haven't loaded my savegame after I could not find a way through the Chasm of Fire.

--------------------
-Newtfeet