Incorporating Walkthroughs in Scenarios

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Incorporating Walkthroughs in Scenarios
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
I've inquired of various subjects earlier this year, but this time around I actually plan to create a scenario. I hope it will be included in the scenario contest, but procrastination might get the better of me.

The majority of members here prefer not to be spoon fed. However, many individuals often rely on help, and I've conjured a new idea about answering questions. The concept is that a character ability activates a tome or orb that summons a help menu. Stuff done flags will decide what the player may need aid with and a list of questions are viewed. Upon selecting one, a walk through will appear concerning that obstacle.

My question is: What is your opinion concerning this?

--------------------
"There's a hole in the bucket, dear Excalibur, dear Excalibur..."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Huh. I was actually making something like that for my scenario. It's a Task list, which acts as a continuation of the Quest list. Basically, it displays your current main plot-related quest, and provides pointers on your current situation and what needs to be done next.

I'd say leave the walkthrough to the README, since that'd likely prove to be a strong temptation, and a player is less likely to look at it if they get briefly stuck if it involves minimizing the game, breaking out the word processor (or in a few cases, browser), and hunting down the walkthrough. If it's right there at their fingertips, they may end up using that when they get even mildly stuck. And that'll remove the sense of accomplishment a player would feel after overcoming a challenging obstacle by themselves. I'd say just have it drop a hint or make the player look at it from another perspective.

But that's just my unusually long-winded two cents, so do with that as you will.

--------------------
Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Well, you could give options about the degree of specificity of the help ("Select one of the following: 1 — A hint 2 — Specific instructions about completing the quest 3 — Cancel").

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
I'll echo Nioca for the second time today. I think Readmes are a little bit better than in-game walkthrough, just because to a player opening up the readme to get past a task feels like a last resort, while using a hint ability that's right at your fingertips just feels like any other part of the scenario, like getting hints from NPCs.

For some reason the cheater stick popped into my head when I read this. I'm kind of torn on whether giving the player that much power to skip difficult parts is a good thing or not.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #4
Actually, I planned that the tome can only be accessed within a dungeon, but come to think of it, this idea requires way too much scripting.

--------------------
"There's a hole in the bucket, dear Excalibur, dear Excalibur..."
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #5
It probably would be. I think an html readme with spoilers (like Niemand's readmes) to make use of Kel's "Select your specificity" idea would be a much better way to use the time.

Hell, just make a plain old walkthrough and I won't complain.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?