A Contest Idea

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A Contest Idea
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #0
I've been kicking around an idea for a contest, and when I told Ephesos about it, he said that I should tell everyone else:

It has the working title of "Worst Tool for the Job", and the goal is to push BoA to its limits and create something of a sort it was never intended to for.

Possible examples of entries could include Pyrulen's work on making a Chess game, or having the party play capture-the-flag against a team of NPCs. The idea is to be as creative as possible, while barely sticking to practicality. I'm curious to know if anyone else would be interested in trying this at some point.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Yeah, I love this idea. I'm also still willing to run the previously-proposed grab bag contest if there's enough interest.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
Well, there's Blades Invaders as well. And I thought of implementing Conway's Game of Life in BoA a while back. Meh, why not? I'm reasonably abreast with my homework...

--------------------
http://dintiradan.ermarian.net/scenarios/bladesinvaders/
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Seems interesting. And besides, it would be a great way of showing new designers what you can do with BoA. I'm all for it, just don't know if I can participate with all the work I already have and TNS lying around.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Guess I might have to port Hunted! to BoA after all.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
Ummm... I'd be interested, for sure. When were you thinking?? It's just that I'm making great progress with Discord at the moment.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - pretty, pretty?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #6
Isn't Hunt The Wumpus supposed to be an AI testbed, not a game for humans? Actually, I suppose it's at the same level as Minesweeper.

Hey! Minesweeper!

--------------------
An extreme optimist is a man who believes that humanity will probably survive even if it doesn't take his advice.
- John McCarthy
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #7
I wasn't necessarily thinking of doing either of these contests very soon, I just wanted make sure we were all thinking about them a little. I'm personally far too busy to get much work done at the moment, anyway.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
And I thought of implementing Conway's Game of Life in BoA a while back. Meh, why not?
BoA's 'detection' of 'infinite loops', that's why not. Even if you split the outer loop into several segments, put each segment in its own state, and chain them together with set_state_continue, it still complains. Oh well.

--------------------
I wish I had a kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula and Superman away.
- Jack Handey
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
So? Set it to run for a set number of iterations, then stop, and have some user input required to make it run the routine again.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #10
Do you really want to use an item ten times in a row to see Gosper's Gun move forward one iteration?

--------------------
The crows were calling to him, thought Caw.
- Jack Handey