Fog in BoA

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Fog in BoA
Apprentice
Member # 1611
Profile #0
I afraid that it is to late, but I hope it isn`t. I think about fog - working in the same way as darkness, but... white. Is it possible to place it in scenarios (by changing color of "darkness", in example), or make this option available?

--------------------
I am not insane, that`s how it seems, though. Spiteful cruel, but wise...
Apprentice
Member # 3809
Profile #1
I preferr the black to the white for the simple fact of never liking the "fog of war" from the Blizzard Warcraft seriese.

--------------------
Hold fast young one, there is danger all about. He who holds the light of himself within will never shed light on anything, especially the evil minions that roam freely about at night.
Apprentice
Member # 1611
Profile #2
I didn`t think about "fog of war", but of the real fog, or mist, or haze, or however do you call it. Over swamps, in example, or around Abandoned Scary Places. It would be very useful to create an atmosphere for scenarios.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1460
Profile #3
You could probably just edit the existing swamp terrain graphics to add the mist you want. Thats a good idea too.

Something interesting might be the element of night and day. It'd be fun to have a scenario where suddenly "day turned to night" and never went back to day, as if the sky was black.

--------------------
If you don't drink milk from your mother, why drink it from a cow?
Apprentice
Member # 1611
Profile #4
Editing terrain? Yeah, it could help, but it would work ONLY on that sort of terrain. Not over grass, in example. In addition, in a real fog (or in a darkness in A3) near things are more visible than distant ones. It is a cool effect, that can`t be created by editing terrain, but it would be easy with mentioned feature.

Playing with darkness (and not only darkness, I hope) is a good idea. Polar night (snow! :D ), volcanic eruption and many other events may become much more realistic.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Actually, in BoA there are floors (like swamp and grass and dirt) and then there's terrain (like chairs, tables, fog, etc.). You could do something like that if you wanted to.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3252
Profile #6
Yeah, adding fog as another terrain item is a good idea. Maybe something like the sleep cloud from BoE, only a little more translucent.

--------------------
Learn About The Man Behind the Messiah.
Apprentice
Member # 1611
Profile #7
Excellent, but how to create translucent objects? With chequered pattern of pixels? I have never seen such thing in Avernum series...

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Any white space is automatically made transparent. So if you make the fog slightly off-white ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 1460
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Ahriman:

Excellent, but how to create translucent objects? With chequered pattern of pixels? I have never seen such thing in Avernum series...
Its actually used a lot. Like for shadows and other things. If you want to make an object transparent using a "checker pattern" does work, just make the checks white.

--------------------
If you don't drink milk from your mother, why drink it from a cow?
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #10
So you can actually have translucent graphics as opposed to transparent graphics? If you can have translucent graphics, what would you have to specify in editor to make this work?

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

MSN: bleusoulilcercatore@hotmail.com
AIM: Byzantine Jones
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Any white space is automatically made transparent. So if you make the fog slightly off-white ...
You sure that'd work? I figure Avernum uses transparency, not translucency; rgb(255, 255, 255) is probably the mask color.

By the way, anyone who cares, Pygmalion supports full translucency and alpha-blending. I've already designed a scenario with drifting semitransparent fog.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #12
Is it possible to use each character in your party's current position in a complex script to change the terrain around them? Then the fog would seem to get thicker and thicker. Although this would be pointless unless there could be terrain on top of terrain.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
And there can be terrain on top of terrain. Or, rather, terrain on top of floors.

--------------------
====
====