Imperial Religion

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Imperial Religion
Apprentice
Member # 8415
Profile #0
I was wondering, for potential scenario design purposes, if there is any concrete information about the official religion (if any) of the Empire, particularly around the Hawthorne/Howar period.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
The source of all things spider-geeky.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
We generally assume that there is no unified state religion, and while the emperor is glorified, he isn't worshipped to the extent the Roman emperors were. Evidence can be seen in the multitude of small local shrines which don't have much cross-regional influence, but which also aren't being oppressed by larger churches.

In fact, the only powerful religion encountered in the game is the Anama (to a lesser extent the Divine Lucre). Non-canon history has the Anama scuffling with the Empire for power in the past, and it makes sense: Having people owe their greatest loyalty to an omnipotent being (interpreted by a priesthood, no less) instead of the will of the Emperor isn't good for the Emperor's authority.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
I thought Rome was polytheist prior to Constantine losing his skull on his deathbed, and those gods were not mortal. In any event, there is no evidence in the E/A series that there is a state religion. I don't even recall religion mentioned other for the practical reasons (priests vs undead).

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

I thought Rome was polytheist prior to Constantine losing his skull on his deathbed, and those gods were not mortal. In any event, there is no evidence in the E/A series that there is a state religion. I don't even recall religion mentioned other for the practical reasons (priests vs undead).
EDIT: Whoops, read the post wrongly: i thought it was about the Empire, not the Roman empire.

Yeah, you are right. The Roman Empire always was polytheistic, untill Constantine made banned the old traditions and replaced it with Christianity.

[ Saturday, March 31, 2007 02:47: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

I thought Rome was polytheist prior to Constantine losing his skull on his deathbed, and those gods were not mortal.
Unless my memory of history class, Quo Vadis, and Nethergate are playing tricks on me, at least Augustus was one of the emperors who were worshipped as gods. Perhaps not on the same level as Jupiter et al were, but they got sacrifices and prayers, and that sort of is the definition...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
The best link EE has to offer is this one:
Human religions

The fabricated Empire fact sheet lists some bizarre statistics about religion that don't make any sense. I would ignore them.

What we DO know, from E/A3 and from the Vogelian scenarios, is that there is no established state religion of the Empire, and in large areas of it, there are really no large religions at all. Jeff's world in fact seems to be far more non-theistic than any historical place has ever been. My conclusion would be that religion is treated as a very private thing in the Empire.

However, it's certainly conceivable that in certain parts of the Empire, there is either a state religion (for a particular province) or just an extremely strongly locally rooted religious tradition.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #7
The general ideas behind the various priests in the game seems to be philosophical rather than based upon the decrees of a higher power.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.