Think Inside of the Box - Thoughts from TM.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Think Inside of the Box - Thoughts from TM.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #0
Over at Shadowvale (here, to be precise), TM posted this:

quote:
There was a debate we used to have in the days of BoE-- is it better for new designers to attempt to make epics that they'll never complete, or should they settle for smaller works that are very unambitious? This debate was one that could only take place with the luxury of a wide library of scenarios already existence and a vibrant community producing more regularly.

That's not a luxury we've got here, so I'm going to repeat myself again: Smaller scenarios that are plain and simple are best for new designers.

Making a scenario is an experience that you have to do once before you can do again. Trust me; I know what I'm talking about. Just do it once. In fact, this might be sorta telling: JV himself wrote this in his walkthrough, and I agree. I might have busted out making something ambitious, and even new designers might appear out of nowhere with something ambitious as their first efforts. Keep in mind: One, I have been doing this for years. Two, those designers are the exceptions, and you cannot count on being them.

And so: What's a REALLY EASY scenario you could make, RIGHT NOW? Here's one: The Empire wants to conquer a new region, but there's an indigenous tribe of goblins in the way. The party, the town's guardians, attack the tribe but find it to be small. The party returns to the town to find that it has been taken over by the rest of the tribe, who now have a fortified city and superior equipment. The end.

Now. All you would have to do for that scenario is create one small outdoor section, one walled frontier town, one small goblin cave, and a variant of the original town that's taken by the goblins. If you want, you could make it possible for the party to take back the town, but that's not even necessary. I could whip that up in a day, and you could probably whip it up before the contest. Yes, you.

In fact, I'll do that. No great plot spoilers here; you all now know how it's going to end. But what I WILL do is include a meticulously updated design notebook so you can tell exactly what I did and when I did it. Then, your quest will be (presumably) easier: Just write a dinky little scenario. I don't care if it's plain; if you write a scenario that's mediocre, beta-testing can make it at least playable and moderately enjoyable, and you can only get better from there. START SMALL. Let me repeat: START SMALL.

I am sick and tired of seeing new designers posting their ambitious plans. (I will not name anyone in particular here.) Take maybe three days' worth off of your effort and attempt to design something small, and THEN you will be FAR more sure whether or not your plan in question will work or not.

(And yeah, folks, you actually can expect me to make this scenario. I'm busy for most of today; expect it by the end of tomorrow instead unless I'm drunk or high or something.)
And I thought it'd be worthwhile if people not registered at Shadowvale saw it...

[ Thursday, March 22, 2007 09:05: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
For the love of god, is Shadowvale becoming the Lyceum of BoA?

*shakes head in utter, utter dismay*

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
Another benefit of starting with a small scenario is that you'll get feedback quicker, which might encourage you to go on with a larger design project.

PS Shadowvale becoming new Lyceum makes sence, because people like to be in a place where they can feel like founders of a new community, rather than newcomers arriving to a party at the 11th hour.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
Why would anyone voluntarily commit a post to ezboards? That would be like designing for BoE.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
The Lyceum has stagnated with regards to BoA, despite Bain's commendable efforts. Its main function seems to be supporting BoE.

quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Why would anyone voluntarily commit a post to ezboards? That would be like designing for BoE.
Heh. Agreed.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #5
Basically, what I've done with my forum was to do what Overwhelming attempted to do a while back. I succeeded where he failed because people actually like me. :P

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

Basically, what I've done with my forum was to do what Overwhelming attempted to do a while back. I succeeded where he failed because people actually like me. :P
I thought they just wanted you for your body.

--------------------
quote:

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

Well, also because SW hadn't yet started to abandon BoA when O-dawg tried it.

[ Thursday, March 22, 2007 18:31: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
quote:

I succeeded where he failed because people actually like me. :P
I can't think of anything sufficiently mean to say here.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
I like Shadowvale as much as I do, not because of Tyran and his beautifull body, but for the simple reason that it feels like freedom, while the SW boards, for a great part, feels like a prison, in which every form of good humor is smothered to death (of course this is a personal thing. At least the debates aren't as useless as here)

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

I like Shadowvale as much as I do, because of Tyran and his beautiful body - the simple reason is that it feels like freedom to clasp my hands around him (of course this is a personal thing)...
FYT. And I would like to say I agree completely. :)

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
Huh.

Doesn't Tyra manage a meat market?

--------------------
quote:

Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #12
Seafood. :P

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #13
Pardon the double-post, but TM has released the aforementioned scenario, named Settlers. You can get it here.

--------------------
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #14
PC link doesn't work for me.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #15
I forgot to upload the PC version. :rolleyes:
It should work now.

--------------------
The Spiderweb Chat Room